C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best spark plug wires for forced induction with OEM exhaust manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Best spark plug wires for forced induction with OEM exhaust manifolds?

I plan on supercharging my C7, but will retain the OEM exhaust manifolds. Since the plugs will be replaced, I plan on also replacing the spark plug wires for piece of mind and something perhaps a little more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Can you all please suggest a brand and exact model (proper length, etc...)? I have read that some aftermarket spark plug wires have caused misfires, but t the same time, I also have read about some OEM plug wires causing misfires as well.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

OK, 5 hours have gone by already with no reply, LOL I am impatiently waiting
Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Procharger and use stock wires. No problem at all.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

There is no benefit to using other than stock. I use Taylor 10mm whatevers because I found 80 dollars in my couch. But I kept my stock wires handy in case the Taylors get wonky.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I have stock wires with my ProCharger, no issues. I did install heat sleeves on the wires, but only because I also added headers. I see no reason to change your wires.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Thanks fellas. Interestingly enough, Forum member Motorhead... posted a while back that his Taylor wires caused a misfire, and ProCharger posted that they had a case where a car had a misfire with OEM wires as the culprit as well. So if I have a whole burning in my pocket��, which aftermarket wires would you select to be used with OEM exhaust manifolds? Brand and model please. Plus, some look really nice as well for the bling factor.��
Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Firecore50. I'll never buy another set of wires. https://www.customwiresets.com/home.php Not sure if they make a set for C7's already but they can make them however you want in any configuration length boot style etc.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

^^^ By the looks of it, they do not have a C7-specific one, but they can custom make it. Any other suggestions from where I can order them from? Some shops have specific wires made for them, like LG, VR, MTI, etc...
Old 03-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

If you want the big, thick look of the 10.4mm blue or red Taylors, you can certainly try them. They're cheap and will give you the look you're after. If you're worried about issues cropping up with them, one of the two larger parts stores offers a 365-day return policy on them.

There's no performance difference vs. the stock wires - OEs have been used at over 1000whp without issue. If you'd like to stick with a GM part with a different color, you can try one of the GMPP sets.

I'm on custom wires because my entire ignition setup is custom. Before that, the Taylors were just for show, but for their short life caused no issues. Moto had a problem develop, but it may have been an isolated incident (bad wire out of the bunch, as the clip connectors are just finicky).

Contrary to what some wire manufacturers want you to believe, wires don't add performance. We're not going to get into another silly thread about that, as the EEs among us can rain all over that parade.

In summation, get whatever looks the best to you - just hang on to your stock wires. The 10.4s don't work well with (some) dyno tuning due to the size. And for the love of God, don't spend $400 on wires.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

^^^ Thanks Theta as usual for your educational posts. NO, I can guarantee you that you will not spend $400 on wires, LOL I am just looking for nice ones that perhaps are a little better than stock for give or take $100. Any other ones besides the Taylor's? If they do not like some dyno's, then I will not want to risk running them.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
Firecore50. I'll never buy another set of wires. https://www.customwiresets.com/home.php Not sure if they make a set for C7's already but they can make them however you want in any configuration length boot style etc.
They make them I have a set also had them on my c5. These are the taylor 10mm will work great but then again the stock wires will do the same for a man.. Robert
Old 12-16-2015, 07:53 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

These granitilli wires are the sweetest set up I've ever owned. I'm putting them on next weekend at Higgs house! He just doesn't know yet!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Popham
These granitilli wires are the sweetest set up I've ever owned. I'm putting them on next weekend at Higgs house! He just doesn't know yet!
It is a pain in the azz that you have to pull the fuse box out are unhook all of it to get them on. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Best spark plug wires for forced induction with OEM exhaust manifolds?

Quick Reply: Best spark plug wires for forced induction with OEM exhaust manifolds?