C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting closer to taking the plunge...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Getting closer to taking the plunge...

Supercharger fund is making progress, not too far off from taking plunge. Looking for experienced input.

The car: 2015 Z51, manual, MRC, Afe CAI, ARH midlengths, offroad Corsa x-pipe, Borla Atak dual mode exhaust. 9,000 miles.

Usage: street, will probably not see any serious track time. Cruises, aggressive street driving, play car, commuting to work, long distance touring. It might see an open track day at NCM and maybe a drag strip but, it's really unlikely in truth.

Wants: power, grunt, driveability, to keep DOD / ECO when desired. Over 600HP.

Do not want: 800+ HP, meth, extensive build complications, not really interested in swapping out to long tubes, not interested in head, cam, work in addition to the power adder.

Me: I've had a Vortech supercharged Mustang for years, raced, rebuilt it... I am familiar with supercharging, a range of higher HP cars / motorcycles...

Preference right now: Edlebrock (twin screw grunt, ease of installation, higher price?) or Procharger (RPM HP hit, I am familiar with centrifugal super charger characteristics, like the intercooler, lower price ?).

Approach: Taking car to a known forum tuner for the install and tuning. Not sure which but, will be one that is well know for installing / tuning / supporting C7 superchargers.

Questions:

1) Catch can necessary / good idea?

2) LT4 fuel pump / rails necessary / good idea?

3) Recommendations on system (specifics) to go with / further research?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

OVER 600 RWHP is not advisable without METH and/or additional fuel/octane supply. However, in the high 500's is attainable with good quality 93 octane fuel or higher with the appropriate set-up. If you are looking for a roots type set-up, then your options are either the Edelbrock or Maggie Heartbeat. A catch can is optional, however, not mandatory. The accuracy and precision of the PCM programming is vital though. Look at PAT G's set-up, and evolution of modifications. He has extensive write-ups here on the Forums. An LT4 fuel pump is not necessary if you will not be pushing the limits with Methanol and higher boost levels. Your choice will have to boil down to your preferred characteristics and drivability of a roots type blower or centrifugal. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:40 PM
LBRc7
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Following... I too have ARH mids and don't consider spending the money on swapping over to LT's.

I may just let LMR out of Houston do their 650hp or 750hp build for me.

Were you on svtperformance.com? I used to be with an 03 cobra. Your username looks familiar.

Last edited by LBRc7; 03-17-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Been trying to research as best I could today. Spent time looking at Vengeance Racing and A&A (Vortech) option versus Novi; prefer Vortech just because I've had a Vortech on the Mustang since 1995 and put 100k hard miles on it. Seems like there are some differences between Vortech, Novi, and Procharger but I am just not there yet.

If I am reading everything right, about 7 to 8 lbs of boost before tipping point and needing meth.

I am still a little off on my full understanding of the front seal and pressure issue causing oil leak - is that still an issue, is that only with higher boost, need better crankcase venting....

Edlebrock seems nice but much more money comparatively.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by LBRc7
Following... I too have ARH mids and don't consider spending the money on swapping over to LT's.

I may just let LMR out of Houston do their 650hp or 750hp build for me.

Were you on svtperformance.com? I used to be with an 03 cobra. Your username looks familiar.
SVTPerformance? I dont remember. I used to be on Corral, Stangnet....stuff like that when I was building out the Mustang. Did some stuff with Racing Jason (videos) for a little bit before his accident. A lot of time on FFCARS / FFCOBRA, Club Cobra, and the BMW forums.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 AM
Dakynz
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing

I am still a little off on my full understanding of the front seal and pressure issue causing oil leak - is that still an issue, is that only with higher boost, need better crankcase venting....
I had a issue on my recent build leaking oil out the front seal. Also a 2015 Z51 manual. Ended up taking it to AMP and having them do the tune, replace the leaking seal and install catch can. Their catch can vents both sides of the crank case and off the oil dry sump. I normally catch a few ounces in the drain off each week so would say its doing its job.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Yes if me I would do the catch can. If you get into boost for very long time you will blow out stuff. I am almost done now with a A/A TI set up with a 3.6 pulley. Plus I am doing the meth on my car but holding it to 650 to 700 rwhp with the meth. Robert
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Supercharger fund is making progress, not too far off from taking plunge. Looking for experienced input.

The car: 2015 Z51, manual, MRC, Afe CAI, ARH midlengths, offroad Corsa x-pipe, Borla Atak dual mode exhaust. 9,000 miles.

Usage: street, will probably not see any serious track time. Cruises, aggressive street driving, play car, commuting to work, long distance touring. It might see an open track day at NCM and maybe a drag strip but, it's really unlikely in truth.

Wants: power, grunt, driveability, to keep DOD / ECO when desired. Over 600HP.

Do not want: 800+ HP, meth, extensive build complications, not really interested in swapping out to long tubes, not interested in head, cam, work in addition to the power adder.

Me: I've had a Vortech supercharged Mustang for years, raced, rebuilt it... I am familiar with supercharging, a range of higher HP cars / motorcycles...

Preference right now: Edlebrock (twin screw grunt, ease of installation, higher price?) or Procharger (RPM HP hit, I am familiar with centrifugal super charger characteristics, like the intercooler, lower price ?).

Approach: Taking car to a known forum tuner for the install and tuning. Not sure which but, will be one that is well know for installing / tuning / supporting C7 superchargers.

Questions:

Your goals are definitely in line, however as Translator stated, going over 600rwhp on pump gas with no meth will be your challenge. Expect 550+rwhp on your current modifications with a solid centrifugal supercharger combination at a safe boost level.

DEFINITELY install a catch can when you do the supercharger. There are many here who have posted issues with front seal leaks after going forced induction and the catch can/breather tank will help to eliminate this.

The fuel system upgrades are not really necessary if your goals are for just a base supercharger system installed on your current setup. You won't run out of fueling on 93 so save the $1,500 or so here.

As far as type of superchargers go, this really comes down to how you want the power to be delivered and if you can deal with the sound from a centrifugal system. ECS, A&A, and Procharger all have offerings for the C7 in the centrifugal market. We use ECS more than anyone for the price point and how effective the kit is, especially with the restrictor plate design in place. For positive displacement kits I personally like the Magnuson 2.3L over anything else on the market. Everyone is still patiently waiting for Whipple to release the 2.9L which should be a hit as well, but I would definitely look at the Maggie if you go the PD route.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail or PM if you have any other questions or if we can help with any parts/build services!
The following users liked this post:
Translator (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Agree with what's been said but would also add I'd suggest going centri as traction is going to be a problem regardless which route you go. A PD blower is fun, but you won't get much of that new torque to the street, at least in 1st. Upgrading traction is tough. Performance wheel/tire options for this car are REALLY dismal, unless you want to spend REALLY big.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Questions:

1) Necessary? No. Good idea? Yes.

2) Absolutely, if you don't want to go with Methanol.

3) Research here, do all of that you can.

PD vs Centri? I've had both on a couple of different platforms. I do miss the grunt that came with a PD blower, but this car is light and torquey enough as it is, that you'll not often get to use it, at least not without rolling on drag radials, or maybe widebody. Heck, even with my 700rwhp centri C7, there is no using full throttle in 1st or 2nd gear. The tires break loose at around 70-75mph in third gear - and this is at altitude where we get huge a horsepower hit.

If you're mechanically inclined, any kit you get can be easily installed. Instructions are great, support is great, and the kits include practically everything, save for a dab of loctite. But get it tuned by a reputable tuner who has tuned C7s before - this is important. I did the install on mine with my pops in a weekend and a half a day (I installed my swaybar upside down, oops) and drove the two hours to the tuners, just avoided getting into boost until I got there, with nary an issue (except for a CEL yelling at me for removing my rear o2 sensors, I also installed long tubes).

As for fuel economy, I had my AFM 4-cyl mode disabled when I had it tuned, and still do this on the highways:

Attachment 48356256

Last edited by joemosfet; 03-20-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefP
Agree with what's been said but would also add I'd suggest going centri as traction is going to be a problem regardless which route you go. A PD blower is fun, but you won't get much of that new torque to the street, at least in 1st. Upgrading traction is tough. Performance wheel/tire options for this car are REALLY dismal, unless you want to spend REALLY big.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting closer to taking the plunge...

Quick Reply: Getting closer to taking the plunge...