C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 LT4 Supercharger installed on my 2015 Z51 Stingray!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 PM
onebad1lE
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

650/700 depending on boost and who is tuning it

Last edited by onebad1lE; 05-29-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:12 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad1lE
650/700 depending on boost and who is tuning it
As Paul (onebad1lE) said we met up a few weekends ago. I drove his car and it is unreasonably fast. His is an A8 and I have an M7 GS that is about to undergo this LT4 add. I just couldn't get over how immediate the power was on Paul's car and how it just doesn't stop pulling. He did like my DSC controller which I know will be his next mod.

My biggest concern (besides my wife's scorn for adding the SC) is the heat issue on track days. I do track my car about 4 times a year. I plan to do a very conservative tune to keep the stock fuel system and no meth so I am wondering if I will see the limp mode issues that the early Z's had. I am buying a 2016 LT4 blower with most of the parts this week.

Any thoughts out there from the forum on using this new setup for track days?
Old 05-30-2018, 08:03 AM
djyankees31
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Let's see you run a ZR1

Originally Posted by onebad1lE
Well my set up. Runs and drives like a ZR1 with out the cost. - I think I would spank a ZR1
I don't think so but I would like to see a video of you trying.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:13 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by BradT

My biggest concern (besides my wife's scorn for adding the SC) is the heat issue on track days. I do track my car about 4 times a year. I plan to do a very conservative tune to keep the stock fuel system and no meth so I am wondering if I will see the limp mode issues that the early Z's had. I am buying a 2016 LT4 blower with most of the parts this week.

I added an EForce to my GS and have since tracked the car a few times and I have not had any heat issues. The only negative thing I have experienced is the notorious leaking front crank oil seal.
The following users liked this post:
BradT (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djyankees31
You can sure be a doubter without any real data but I sure wouldn't put any money on that opinion. I have driven his car and I know his dyno numbers so based on the data I have I bet he is correct.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Should be another LT4 in a C-7 Z51 today and on the road

Could not sleep last might at all. Car at the doctors getting a heart transplant. Yesterday was day 2 (business days last thru, tues). I called late in the afternoon to see how things were going with the install and was told Matt was out driving it and doing the street tune. Well at least the patient is awake! I was expecting a call but never got one. Then all night the brain is working OT, did I install my portion wrong? Did he crash? Did the car stop somewhere? Did the engine just blow up?
3 hours till the shop opens, the plan was for today to be dyno day. Nerve wracking, hope to be at the shop for the dyno. Hope to get her out of the hospital today and back home.

Ben@WeaponX (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

You can sure be a doubter without any real data but I sure wouldn't put any money on that opinion. I have driven his car and I know his dyno numbers so based on the data I have I bet he is correct.
i did the WeaponX Stage 2 conversion in October (tLT4 injectors and fuel pumps). I have logged 12k flawless miles and 1track event in which it spanked stock Z06’s repeatedly and I had no heat issues ! I am not sure about a ZR1 but it would give it one hell of a run!
The following 2 users liked this post by 9157:
Ben@WeaponX (05-30-2018), BradT (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 AM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm no expert, but I have to agree with the above.^^
Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

So update, The Tuner is Getting very low pressure on my fuel rails. he thinks the LT4 pump i have is bad. So they are going to crack it open there and see if they can find a replacement pump. this is about to get even more expensive.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM
djyankees31
Instructor

I know too based on data and the 1.7 blower on a LT1 is fast but it hits it's limit pretty quick after a couple of hard pulls with heat soak. Where as the ZR1 with it bigger blower and better cooling most likely doesn't suffer from heat soak as the Z06 or LT1 1.7 blower conversions.

To me it's just crazy to compare to a ZR1.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:59 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I know too based on data and the 1.7 blower on a LT1 is fast but it hits it's limit pretty quick after a couple of hard pulls with heat soak. Where as the ZR1 with it bigger blower and better cooling most likely doesn't suffer from heat soak as the Z06 or LT1 1.7 blower conversions.

To me it's just crazy to compare to a ZR1.
So you know that the LT1 converted to an LT4 heat soaks? That is information I would really like to know. Under what conditions have you seen them heat soak? How much power were they trying to make that caused the heat soak?

This is my main concern with the conversion since I am going to continue to track my car.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:59 PM
djyankees31
Instructor

So you know that the LT1 converted to an LT4 heat soaks? That is information I would really like to know. Under what conditions have you seen them heat soak? How much power were they trying to make that caused the heat soak?

This is my main concern with the conversion since I am going to continue to track my car.
Don't over spin the blower and it shouldn't be much different than a LT4. Over spin the 1.7 blower and watch the manifold air temps go sky high. Once the temp starts hitting 133 degrees the timing is pulled. Pull 4 - 10 degrees of timing and car feels like a slug. It will generate a little more heat than the LT4 because of the higher compression pistons. The way to keep the temp under control is with meth. I'm not doing meth and my temps get hot. I can feel the power dropping. Once the engine is hot, it stays hot. I verify it by always logging with HP tuners.

I'm not trying to talking you out of doing it, as I'm happy with my conversion. However, knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the 2.3 blower instead of the 1.7. But I do like the look of the stock 1.7 versus the 3rd party root blowers. Just a matter of preference.

My comments were more about comparing our converted 1.7 blower Corvette's performance to the ZR1 with a 2.65 blower with lots of headroom while the 1.7 is maxed out.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't over spin the blower and it shouldn't be much different than a LT4. Over spin the 1.7 blower and watch the manifold air temps go sky high. Once the temp starts hitting 133 degrees the timing is pulled. Pull 4 - 10 degrees of timing and car feels like a slug. It will generate a little more heat than the LT4 because of the higher compression pistons. The way to keep the temp under control is with meth. I'm not doing meth and my temps get hot. I can feel the power dropping. Once the engine is hot, it stays hot. I verify it by always logging with HP tuners.

I'm not trying to talking you out of doing it, as I'm happy with my conversion. However, knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the 2.3 blower instead of the 1.7. But I do like the look of the stock 1.7 versus the 3rd party root blowers. Just a matter of preference.

My comments were more about comparing our converted 1.7 blower Corvette's performance to the ZR1 with a 2.65 blower with lots of headroom while the 1.7 is maxed out.
I appreciate your comments and I realize my question was not the main point you were making. I am trying to gather info on this conversion that is relevant to my use of the car. Thanks for helping me gather that info.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:08 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Default She is home!

First off a big shout out to WeaponX and Turbo Technologies (Tacoma WA) for all their help. It took several months for this to all come together and I have to say I had some sleepless nights while working on this but it was worth it and learned a great deal about my car. Matt at TT and the guys at WeaponX are awesome. I drove her home gingerly so I could get used to her, but near Allyn WA some jerk pulled out and 50 ft later turns off. It slowed me down and I sort of tapped the accelerator and the car made it known she don't like people pulling out in front of her! She screamed! What a machine, the engine bay looks astounding and has that pure factory look. That ride home was one big smile all the way. Super job guys and Matt knows his stuff, I trust these guys 199 percent.���� Numbers are not blow away but in the sweet spot for me 540 Rhp with 590 torque, I will settle in with these numbers for now, maybe headers later (X pipe already installed) . Here is the dyno done yesterday;
Facebook Post

Last edited by MrGary2011; 05-31-2018 at 05:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrGary2011:
Ben@WeaponX (06-04-2018), djyankees31 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:31 PM
onebad1lE
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Beating ZR1

Yes in 1/4 mile I would beat a ZR1
my car dyno more then a stock ZR1
Which is 660 hp and on the track probably loose to because of heat soak
My car is set up for 1/4 not road corse
I run more boost 15lbs and e85 (1.7) almost maxed out

SNOW
If your car is leaking oil from front seal —-it’s either knocking from tune
Or u don’t have a venting system on your car.
My car did same thing too much timing had to replace front seal and add
Venting

Gary
That with stock pulley. 540/590- pulley it down and watch the power go up !
Anything over that add venting to engine
Question what kPA. Did u get with stock set up

PS - any ZR1 in Houston wanna roll race let me know.
I will video it with my pdr

Last edited by onebad1lE; 05-31-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

As Paul (onebad1lE) said we met up a few weekends ago. I drove his car and it is unreasonably fast. His is an A8 and I have an M7 GS that is about to undergo this LT4 add. I just couldn't get over how immediate the power was on Paul's car and how it just doesn't stop pulling. He did like my DSC controller which I know will be his next mod.

In Texas? How fast are you on track? Does your GS have the secondary radiator? (I am not certain with the years and this stuff)

If you plan on tracking the car extensively and are fast, i'd try and find a 2017 lid. If you don't have the secondary radiator, a centrifugal kit might be a better bet to keep heat off the engine.

Even so, I run a base kit procharger on my z51 and in 90 ambient my car overheats in about 10 minutes, but im going 9/10ths, take it easy for a lap, and it can go for the remainder of the session (not a very fast track, 110-115 mph straights only). That is, ECT at 250, EOT at 300. Transmission Temp is happy at 250ish as long as I shift 3rd at 6k rpm (the track is constant 3rd, going to 4th on 3 straights). The car feels like it pulls so much timing, it feels <500 hp at the track (570 rwhp dyno). IAT1s run 120-140. I have yet to log timing and IAT2, will do that next track day.

Here's 6 minutes of going hard, 40 degree rise in ECT. That's about 7 degree rise per minute. 15 degree rise in avg IAT. These cars are turds in keeping temps in check.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.
BradT (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 AM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate the information. I decided to pass on the 2016 SC for multiple reasons and this one being one of them. I am moderately fast but not in the hot run groups. The sessions are typically 20 or 30 minutes and I run most of the session at a pretty good pace. I try to make the last lap about 65% to get some air flow and cool things down but I have never seen temps like the ones you mentioned. I just ordered an HP Pro so I will be able to log everything next time I go out. That way I will have some base temp numbers for my car and my driving.

I did do a track day last August near Houston and the temps stayed fine (don't remember the exact numbers). I had about 2500 miles on the car at the time and I think it was in the upper 90's by the time we ran the last session. The track was very slick by then and the instructor in my car commented on how good the temps stayed.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 LT4 Supercharger installed on my 2015 Z51 Stingray!!

Old 08-29-2018, 05:11 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Update:

I wanted to check in and update this thread...I have now passed 25k miles on my car and almost 10k on the supercharger...All is going well. I had a Car "condriac" moment while on vacation a couple months ago, when I believed I was hearing the supercharger much louder than it should be..I was concerned that the Supercharger bearings were going bad. On the way back from vacation I drove right through Cincinnati so I made a pit stop at Weapon X and had "Dr. Ben Herndon" take a listen to see if he heard any unusual bearing noises...He said that all was well...no issues!! I was worried about nothing!! Ben and Blake from Weapon X have been there for me from Day 1 whenever I call them..I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to do any type of performance mods to their Corvette!!

I wanted to mention that over the past few weeks I have been working with Ben Charles AKA "T/A Kid" (he was the first person to do the LT4 blower swap on LT1) on some tuning tweaks and I just want to say that it has been a great experience. He made some very nice refinements to the Engine and Trans tunes. Don't hesitate to look up Ben if you have any tuning needs. He is on Corvette Forum and the HP Tuners Forum. By no means is this any type of knock (no pun intended) on the Weapon X tune...I love those guys!! and I have a long list of more mods I would like them to do during this upcoming "off" season....I just think tuning these cars is 1 part engineering, 1 part experience, and 1 part nuance....It is not an exact science for sure and there are many variables that can be adjusted to make refinements. I am so glad that Ben from Weapon X suggested that I have my own HP Tuner programming interface and software....Well worth the 450.00....

I am headed back down to TN/NC this weekend to run The Tail of the Dragon and the Smoky Mountain Loop...Should be a blast!! I will report back after my trip!

-M
The following 2 users liked this post by managerman:
A320Flyer (01-30-2019), Ben@WeaponX (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Well I am at 16k since my conversion and 63k on the clock.
My car has been perfect except for a minor tweak to the tune done by RPM Garner NC.
I was at VIR for the IMSA race last weekend and my car got a lot of attention after the “parade laps” while being surrounded by Z06’s! The car is simply amazing!

Last edited by 9157; 08-30-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Great Job WeaponX!
The following 3 users liked this post by 9157:
Ben@WeaponX (08-30-2018), cjatrains (07-17-2021), managerman (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:29 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by managerman
Update:

I wanted to check in and update this thread...I have now passed 25k miles on my car and almost 10k on the supercharger...All is going well. I had a Car "condriac" moment while on vacation a couple months ago, when I believed I was hearing the supercharger much louder than it should be..I was concerned that the Supercharger bearings were going bad. On the way back from vacation I drove right through Cincinnati so I made a pit stop at Weapon X and had "Dr. Ben Herndon" take a listen to see if he heard any unusual bearing noises...He said that all was well...no issues!! I was worried about nothing!! Ben and Blake from Weapon X have been there for me from Day 1 whenever I call them..I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to do any type of performance mods to their Corvette!!

I wanted to mention that over the past few weeks I have been working with Ben Charles AKA "T/A Kid" (he was the first person to do the LT4 blower swap on LT1) on some tuning tweaks and I just want to say that it has been a great experience. He made some very nice refinements to the Engine and Trans tunes. Don't hesitate to look up Ben if you have any tuning needs. He is on Corvette Forum and the HP Tuners Forum. By no means is this any type of knock (no pun intended) on the Weapon X tune...I love those guys!! and I have a long list of more mods I would like them to do during this upcoming "off" season....I just think tuning these cars is 1 part engineering, 1 part experience, and 1 part nuance....It is not an exact science for sure and there are many variables that can be adjusted to make refinements. I am so glad that Ben from Weapon X suggested that I have my own HP Tuner programming interface and software....Well worth the 450.00....

I am headed back down to TN/NC this weekend to run The Tail of the Dragon and the Smoky Mountain Loop...Should be a blast!! I will report back after my trip!

-M
Good to know all is well. I am around 1,000 on my swap and still getting used to her hunger to go fast! We plan on running from Allyn Wa to Reno Nv next week for Corvette Car show and hot air ballon festival. Goin to be a blast!

The following 2 users liked this post by MrGary2011:
Ben@WeaponX (08-30-2018), managerman (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Z06 LT4 Supercharger installed on my 2015 Z51 Stingray!!