C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on my meth kit. Alky Control-how to troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Educate me on my meth kit. Alky Control-how to troubleshoot

So it seems I am now having issues in Fantasy Land. It was only a matter of time. With a perfect tune and great install I thought the world of issues associated to modding were behind me. WRONG LOL So its not that bad and I am sure I will figure it out. Hell I did the install I better know how to troubleshoot it. Looking for thought processes here and hoping it will help others.

About 2 weeks ago I assume I ran out of meth. Car would backfire or otherwise pop under 100% throttle. I also would get the occasional low windshield fluid. So I fill her back up. Never test it just fill it. Last week I went to get on it and felt the slight backfire and got out. Figured it was low. Yesterday I get in the car and remembered the experience so I filled up. It took less then a cup. So we know we have meth. I started my initial testing by watching the light on the meth box (alky control) it never turns green. I push the "test" button and nothing happens. Next step is to disconnect nozzle, put in cup, test it. See if I get anything. Note that the indicator light was disconnected for a relocation project. There is no way in hell this system stopped working because the light is disconnected is there? I am really hoping the pump isn't already bad. What are your thoughts? What are some of the first things you all would check? I drove the car to work and stayed out of boost. It otherwise drives just fine.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:28 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

What about the LED on the control box? Does it light up red when you have the ignition on? If you want I can PM you my phone number and you can call me. I may be able to help a little..

Ant
Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

subscribed in case I run into similar issue. I have the same Alky Control but installed and tuned by Andy at A&A Corvette about a month ago. I still cannot wipe the smile off my face, even while I am sleeping my wife says I am smiling ear to ear. Good luck and hope you get it figured out.
The following users liked this post:
WarHammer619 (05-15-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Buddy I know you have the rubber on the motor, But let me tell you if that motor has going water in it will go out FAST have you driven the car much in the rain. I would check the motor as one of the main things first. Then inside the box there is a small microswitch that can go bad.

All of this above has happen to me in the past.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Ant- Control box lights up red but not sure if it is the same LED as on the dash that changes to green when spraying. I can tell you under bost today or when I test it stays red. I never watched it before. The dash light would go green when spraying. I need to connect that light again. I was in the middle of a relocation. I will send you a PM. Thanks !!!

Robert- Damn you man. I hope none of that is true. Water are you kidding. This car barely gets washed much less driven in the rain. LOL All things I need to consider.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

The pumps come with a rubber boot over them so water really isn't an issue unless you really went up above the door sills in water.

If it were here we have a regulated air supply with a boost gauge we use to do the initial set up and diagnostic if needed. We just put it to the boost line that goes to the alky MAP sensor, remove the nozzle from the intake and you can see exactly what is going on with the system very quickly.

If you have any electrical issues with the kit give Julio a call, the guy is a vat of knowledge with this stuff and is always willing to help.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by teddyca
Ant- Control box lights up red but not sure if it is the same LED as on the dash that changes to green when spraying. I can tell you under bost today or when I test it stays red. I never watched it before. The dash light would go green when spraying. I need to connect that light again. I was in the middle of a relocation. I will send you a PM. Thanks !!!

Robert- Damn you man. I hope none of that is true. Water are you kidding. This car barely gets washed much less driven in the rain. LOL All things I need to consider.
I had all my stuff in the c5 someone did it. I had the rubber boot on mine it wasn't 3 months old but went thur r had too go into a few water holes in the road. It went out but sent it back in to the guy he redone it for me for 90.00 & told me that was what it was.

Then a small mircoswitch went out in the little box it pump all the meth into the intercooler and the intake of the car.

Hope your is only a ground are something small. Robert
Old 04-07-2017, 09:06 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Did you check the controll box voltage to turn on the pump? It's the little dial under the cover. I had a similar issue and turned mine up a little and everything went back to normal.

On the main controller is an access door. Opening the access door reveals two controls internally labeled “TURN-ON” and “INITIAL”. The turn-on control allows the user to set a turn-on voltage from 1.7volts to 5volts. Clockwise rotation increases the voltage needed to trigger system. The “INITIAL” control determines how much voltage is sent to the pump when the system is triggered. Typical settings are factory preset for 4 PSI turn-on with a 2 volt output to the pump. These can be recalibrated by the user by simply turning the controls clockwise to increase, counter clockwise to reduce. A LITTLE AT A TIME. Use fingers or small flat screwdriver. An electronic voltmeter can be used for initial pump setup as well. Procedure involves placing voltmeter across terminals on power distribution block and pressing the push button on remote controller. Typical setting is 1-3 volts. Next is the “Pump Gain Control” on the remote controller. This control interacts with the initial pump speed control. Usual and typical settings place this **** in the 12-2 o’clock position. It is used to ramp the voltage gain to the pump as the signal from the MAP sensor increases. Turning this **** clockwise will increase output voltage multiplication and slightly increase the initial pump speed. Only way to know what is best suited for your particular application is trial and error.

Last edited by chefcg1; 04-07-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Marc DeSatnik
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I would disconnect the hose at the jet on your charge tube (before the check valve) and place it into a water bottle. Press the TEST button for about a minute to purge the system of any air in the line caused by running out of meth. Then reconnect the hose and see if you get the LED to change to green at pressure.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

sounds like too much meth, do you have a wideband to verify? IMO, no one should be running these kinds of mods without constant monitoring ability.

Too many people think a modified (especially with ancillary systems to factory setup) are set and done/fixed but in reality its dynamic and variable and needs to be watched.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:59 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
sounds like too much meth, do you have a wideband to verify? IMO, no one should be running these kinds of mods without constant monitoring ability.

Too many people think a modified (especially with ancillary systems to factory setup) are set and done/fixed but in reality its dynamic and variable and needs to be watched.
Agreed higgs, however wouldn't the car stumble like crazy at idle when testing the system? If the system was working properly that is.

This is what my car does when I test the system (once a week). If the car is just sitting at idle and I just blip the test button the car stumbles and the wideband goes pig rich. If he's not hearing or feeling the car react to the meth at idle then the pump/kit isn't working.

Last edited by C7&7; 04-14-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7&7
Agreed higgs, however wouldn't the car stumble like crazy at idol when testing the system? If the system was working properly that is.

This is what my car does when I test the system (once a week). If the car is just sitting at idol and I just blip the test button the car stumbles and the wideband goes pig rich. If he's not hearing or feeling the car react to the meth at idol then the pump/kit isn't working.
My c5 never did this if I did the text on it at idol. You couldn't hardly tell the diff in it & I had 2 15,s on it. But when the mircroswitch went out on it on the pumping it killed the car plus I had to pull my intercooler and clean it up also. Also chged out the plugs but will agree wideband did go really rich.

Last edited by robert miller; 04-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Stop driving it until you can get a wideband on it. It sounds like it's going so lean it's misfiring

You can't just crank a meth system up or down or on or off or whatever without a wideband to see where you're at
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 PM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Disconnect your meth line at the intake tube and stick it in a soda bottle and hit the test button and see if your pump is actually pushing anything out.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

Any pointers on exactly how to do this or what to look for to troubleshoot issues sooner than later? I have HP Tuners, but am a complete novice when it comes to data logging and perfecting the tune.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Do you have a wideband?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite275
Any pointers on exactly how to do this or what to look for to troubleshoot issues sooner than later? I have HP Tuners, but am a complete novice when it comes to data logging and perfecting the tune.
read all the threads in these three links first.

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...o-and-how-to-s

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...al-Information

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...al-information

Get notified of new replies

To Educate me on my meth kit. Alky Control-how to troubleshoot

Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, I have a wideband and thanks for the links. I'll get reading!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 PM
jayjordon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed...JIC
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

O.K. fellas riddle me this. I have finally decided to take a look at the issue. So when I hit the test button I don't get a green light, when I get into boost I don't get a green light, BUT when I remove the line under the hood and put a water bottle to the fitting I get meth. I am going to remove the nozzle and see if it is possibly clogged but why no green light???

Quick Reply: Educate me on my meth kit. Alky Control-how to troubleshoot