C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ring gap as it relates to "hotter cylinders"

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:00 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Question about ring gap as it relates to "hotter cylinders"

I'm working on file fitting my rings and I am curious if any of the LT1 cylinders typically run "hotter" than others. Reason I ask is I am gapping my top compression ring at .022" and the second ring at .024" and on a couple of my second rings I went a touch too far at .025". While .001 is not really a lot to be concerned about, I'd prefer to put these into the cylinders that typically run hotter since they will expand a bit more.

My guess would be cylinders 3, 4, 5, and 6 would run hotter than the rest since they are the 4 in the middle of the engine with more heat surrounding them. Thoughts?

Ant
Old 05-14-2017, 06:42 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I have no idea on the LT stuff....but on the LS stuff, #5 & #7 were always the hot ones. I didnt gap them any differently, but I did put the best flowing injectors on those two. And those were the two I always melted. LOL

.022"-.025" will be fine. I did find that I had better luck with the Total Seal AP steel rings vs. the Wiseco GFX rings. They seemed to handle the heat better. I pulled a set of GFX rings out after 3k miles when I got into a little detonation, and the rings were closed up on 4 cylinders...(lost tension).

Good luck on the rebuild

Quick Reply: Question about ring gap as it relates to "hotter cylinders"