C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger installed - I now have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:59 AM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Supercharger installed - I now have a few questions

Hey guys,

A few days ago I completed the install of my Procharger kit with canned tune.

It has been running great with the exception of a couple of things I'd like to run past you all:

1) Occasionally, and seemingly randomly during a medium-hard pull, the car will surge 3-4 times in quick succession at around 5k RPM - almost like a learner driver bunnyhopping the clutch. I don't have data logging installed on the car yet (just purchased zeitronix setup), but it almost feels like what I'd expect it to feel like if the BOV opened and closed a few times releasing all the boost. However, I cant say I recall hearing the usual BOV whoosh.

2) Smell. There is a new smell under the hood. I wish I could say it smells like melting plastic, but its a bit sweeter than that. I've checked everything and cannot see anything that has melted. However the procharger head unit makes contact with both the plastic part of the ABS pump and the silicone pipe that connects to the throttle body. I'm thinking maybe I should foil wrap these contact points?

3) Idle squeak. Rhythmic, like a belt or pulley. It happened for about 30 minutes on the first test drive, but hasn't happened since. So maybe I should chalk this up to everything settling in?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

I would get a custom tune and ensure that your pullies are properly aligned with a laser alignment tool. Good luck getting it sorted and be safe with the new power.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:30 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jimxms
Hey guys,

It has been running great with the exception of a couple of things I'd like to run past you all:

1) Occasionally, and seemingly randomly during a medium-hard pull, the car will surge 3-4 times in quick succession at around 5k RPM - almost like a learner driver bunnyhopping the clutch. I don't have data logging installed on the car yet (just purchased zeitronix setup), but it almost feels like what I'd expect it to feel like if the BOV opened and closed a few times releasing all the boost. However, I cant say I recall hearing the usual BOV whoosh.

2) Smell. There is a new smell under the hood. I wish I could say it smells like melting plastic, but its a bit sweeter than that. I've checked everything and cannot see anything that has melted. However the procharger head unit makes contact with both the plastic part of the ABS pump and the silicone pipe that connects to the throttle body. I'm thinking maybe I should foil wrap these contact points?

3) Idle squeak. Rhythmic, like a belt or pulley. It happened for about 30 minutes on the first test drive, but hasn't happened since. So maybe I should chalk this up to everything settling in?
1. Tune probably needs to be adjusted. Canned tunes do not account for things such as elevation, etc.

2. I can't remember if the Procharger kit requires you to drain the coolant, but it sounds to me like you may be smelling coolant. Coolant smells sweet kind of like pancakes syrup when it gets hot.

3. Yep.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Hey guys,

no foil wrap. There is provided little square pieces of rubber to put there.

likely you got belt slip which would explain the surge. My car was absolutely perfect on the canned tune after we figured out my belt was slipping due to a seized tensioner.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:05 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
no foil wrap. There is provided little square pieces of rubber to put there.

likely you got belt slip which would explain the surge. My car was absolutely perfect on the canned tune after we figured out my belt was slipping due to a seized tensioner.
how did you resolve the tensioner issue? Just disassemble and lube?

Im not convinced that is what it is though as it only happens at part throttle (say 50%). If I floor it the car pulls like a freight train all the way to the red line. It feels a bit like the bov cant decide whether to be open or closed
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Max Bet
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure if this issue was the same, but I had the same "noise" from the tensioner. Boost was fine. Make sure you adjust the tensioner like the instructions say, tighten the tensioner until the first set of lines meet. I was afraid to do this because I thought I was going to break the adjusting screw but I called Procharger and they said to keep going. "Use a longer ratchet", so I did. The noise went away since the tensioner arm was barely pivoting. If you push on the belt with your thumb "sort of like a deflection test" you shouldn't be able to move the tensioner. That's how tight it will be.

Last edited by Max Bet; 05-29-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-29-2017, 02:00 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Just a warning... If your head unit is rubbing against your ABS... move your ABS so its not touching it. I didn't move it far enough when I installed my ECS kit and it ended up causing a line to burst or melt or something and I lost virtually all of my brakes while driving. Was very scary, luckily I didn't have many stops before I could get it to the dealer and the E-brake worked well.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:56 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

how did you resolve the tensioner issue? Just disassemble and lube?

Im not convinced that is what it is though as it only happens at part throttle (say 50%). If I floor it the car pulls like a freight train all the way to the red line. It feels a bit like the bov cant decide whether to be open or closed
You do know that centrifugal supercharger kits naturally do this. The bypass valve closes at about half throttle, therefore if you're holding the throttle and slightly going up or down in pressure, it will open and close the valve repeatedly.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
You do know that centrifugal supercharger kits naturally do this. The bypass valve closes at about half throttle, therefore if you're holding the throttle and slightly going up or down in pressure, it will open and close the valve repeatedly.
No I didn't know. Is it also normal for the car to buck when the valve is in this area of uncertainty?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No. Sounds more like either turbulence across the MAF if you're still using that or something not right with the driver demand tables in the tune, IMO.

Bypass valve closes around -2psi of "boost", FYI

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-30-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:05 AM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
No. Sounds more like either turbulence across the MAF if you're still using that or something not right with the driver demand tables in the tune, IMO.

Bypass valve closes around -2psi of "boost", FYI
i would almost guarantee that the procharger kit uses maf, otherwise I wouldn't have thought they'd go to the trouble of fitting it to the piping and providing an extension lead for it?

when I get it tuned remotely should I ask for it to tuned with speed density?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'd see how tuner feels about it. It's easy enough to try and see if it helps and or he should be able to see if the MAF readings are jumping around a lot.

What year is your car?

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-31-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'd see how tuner feels about it. It's easy enough to try and see if it helps and or he should be able to see if the MAF readings are jumping around a lot.

What year is your car?
2014. Are there negatives to tuning the car this way? Rougher idle or something?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:54 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

SD is generally smoother if anything

Some of the later model years, 2017 I believe, won't make boost when in SD so you have to run a MAF. It may just be z06's effected, I can't remember offhand. Ecm basically closes the throttle after it sees a few psi of boost. That's why I was curious about the model year. Sooner or later we'll get access to whatever limit table is causing that to happen but as far as I know we haven't yet gotten there.

Only issue with SD is it sometimes isn't as consistent during larger temp/weather changes, though that can be compensated for easily enough if tuner knows how

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger installed - I now have a few questions

Quick Reply: Supercharger installed - I now have a few questions