C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could PCV blow by (Stock PCV) with F1A-94 @18psi blow out that much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Could PCV blow by (Stock PCV) with F1A-94 @18psi blow out that much oil?

The entire mid-lower engine is covered in oil after doing a track day at Roebling Road. MightyMouse is helping me get a new custom road race PCV system in place but I got the car on the lift today to install some Canards and wow oil was everywhere! It only smokes when I do a hard 3 - 4th gear pull, but man it's blowing oil out bad! Could this be something else? Need some insight!!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Look at your front and rear seals man plus what year is your car. 2014 was the worse as far as a half way good PCV system in the car.. Well David will be the one to get you a great working catch can made up for sure in here. Robert
Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sub'd
Old 02-06-2019, 11:58 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Robert, it's a 2017 Z06. I am going to clean it up hopefully this afternoon will report back. I may be now leaning towards front main seal just seems like too much oil to be from stock PCV system, although I have the Katech Valve Covers on which aren't baffled like stock ones, so they could release more oil (well and do). I definitely need a catch can and PCV diverter.

Guess worse case I will pull the balancer (radiator, supercharger, etc) and put a new one in...not the end of the world, just a pain in my ***.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

On my C6Z, I blew the oil pan gasket due to an improperly installed catch can, which created excessive blow by. At high rpms, the oil would blow onto the exhaut and leave a trail of smoke behind the car. Just something to consider.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:37 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
On my C6Z, I blew the oil pan gasket due to an improperly installed catch can, which created excessive blow by. At high rpms, the oil would blow onto the exhaut and leave a trail of smoke behind the car. Just something to consider.

Man that is crazy hard to believe the oil pan these cars don't have a gasket it is like glue that seals the oil pan. Plus these cars I mean the C7 has a weak front & rear seals in them. I have put the ls7 front and rear main seal in my c7. But I do believe that a bad hook up on a catch can could blow out the seals and cant believe if it did your oil pan someone didn't do a good JOB on it at all. I say that due to the weak front and rear seals in the c7... Not unless someone wanted to get more money from you and telling you it was the oil pan and not the seals in the car. Whom ever done your work on the pan did they tell you the motor had to be pulled out to do it..
Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
Robert, it's a 2017 Z06. I am going to clean it up hopefully this afternoon will report back. I may be now leaning towards front main seal just seems like too much oil to be from stock PCV system, although I have the Katech Valve Covers on which aren't baffled like stock ones, so they could release more oil (well and do). I definitely need a catch can and PCV diverter.

Guess worse case I will pull the balancer (radiator, supercharger, etc) and put a new one in...not the end of the world, just a pain in my ***.

Thanks!
Buddy I agree yes by the way you are talking on the amount of oil you have a front seal out I would say here.. It has to be bad if a front seal are you get it into boost a lot to make it do even worse..
Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

If its the front seal you'll see oil under the car. It should be leaking all over the cradle. It would be on the under side of the hood also.

Last edited by C7&7; 02-06-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:16 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7&7
If its the front seal you'll see oil under the car. It should be leaking all over the cradle. It would be on the under side of the hood also.
Would it be like this even like you are saying here with a dry sump pan car.. I know he is saying it is bad but was thinking not that much oil would get up on the front seal,,,LIKE it would IN A WET SUMP OIL PAN WOULD IT.. I am just asking here on this question for me here buddy.. Robert
Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by C7&7
Yes sir that’s exactly what is happening so sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Can someone provide the right part number for the LS seal so I can ensure this holds up next time? I have stock PCV on her now will be upgrading to Mighty Mouse custom system.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:30 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Yes sir that’s exactly what is happening so sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Can someone provide the right part number for the LS seal so I can ensure this holds up next time? I have stock PCV on her now will be upgrading to Mighty Mouse custom system.
Yuuuppppp. Brings back memories. When I did a blower on my car in 2014 this happened on the dyno. I immediately went to a ls3 front seal and a LMR breather system.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Man that is crazy hard to believe the oil pan these cars don't have a gasket it is like glue that seals the oil pan. Plus these cars I mean the C7 has a weak front & rear seals in them. I have put the ls7 front and rear main seal in my c7. But I do believe that a bad hook up on a catch can could blow out the seals and cant believe if it did your oil pan someone didn't do a good JOB on it at all. I say that due to the weak front and rear seals in the c7... Not unless someone wanted to get more money from you and telling you it was the oil pan and not the seals in the car. Whom ever done your work on the pan did they tell you the motor had to be pulled out to do it..
Didn't have to pull the motor, but did have to drop the front cradle. It was easy to see the leak coming from the pan once on the lift.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:07 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Right now it's hard to tell exactly b/c I see oil coming out the PCV quick connects also at my valve cover (Katech) so I have oil essentially all over my supercharger, hood, pretty much everywhere. It's for sure worse at lower of car but gravity also helps that happen, as well as wind 170mph top end definitely spreads it around :-(. My pressure washer went out recently going to get another tonight. Unfortunately my son has to have surgery tomorrow he has a pinched Ureter (9 years old) causing his kidneys to back up so I may not be able to get to this until the weekend. But I plan on clean it up considerably.

Once I get everything cleaned up, how exactly can I know for sure it's the front main seal? Drive it again, put on lift, inspect?

Also, can someone shoot me the part number for the LS seal, please? It's an LS3 front main seal? If I get moving on it I imagine I can have this replaced in a weekend or two, on my lift. Should I go ahead and put a nicer harmonic balancer on? Since I have to pull the stock one off?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I keep a few tubes of the GM sealant in hand at all times. Its expensive but its the best damn sealant i have ever used and i use it on just about everything, new and old.

FWIW I use candle wax to seal the tip so it won't dry out. Everything else I've tried lets air in eventually
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I purchased some of the GM sealant myself also seems the LS3 front main seal isn't but $20 or so. About 8 hours of good labor for me though :-(. Just gives me a chance to improve things this time around is the way I look at it. May switch from the Gates Green belt to the Gates RPM black belt.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

So an update since I put the mighty mouse catch can in with the road race setup it's not been blowing oil anymore. Could it be possible the seal went bad but can seal back?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:04 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

So an update since I put the mighty mouse catch can in with the road race setup it's not been blowing oil anymore. Could it be possible the seal went bad but can seal back?
Well it's kinda like a diaphragm. It will release out and go back, but the damage is done. It may hold up for a little while, but it should be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Could PCV blow by (Stock PCV) with F1A-94 @18psi blow out that much oil?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:34 AM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Most of the time oil being blown out the front is from hurt ring lands from what we have seen. What power level are you at and do you have aftermarket pistons?
Billy
Old 03-06-2019, 03:28 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Billy@MTI
Most of the time oil being blown out the front is from hurt ring lands from what we have seen. What power level are you at and do you have aftermarket pistons?
Billy

F1A-94 + HRFueler Port Injection (1000cc injectors) + MagnaFuel 750 custom low side + G1Pro Intake + Kooks headers and 3" X-pipe and Borla ATAK + Katech 103mm TB + other supporting mods running 18psi up around 1000hp on E85. Stock bottom end. I did this at Roebling Road Raceway doing some track days and didn't turn boost down (with precision wastegate + boost by gear wth Holley) so with NO catch can I think it was too much blow by. I have a custom road race mightymouse catch can setup now. I haven't experienced anymore oil leaks or smoke???
Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Default ttt

F1A-94 + HRFueler Port Injection (1000cc injectors) + MagnaFuel 750 custom low side + G1Pro Intake + Kooks headers and 3" X-pipe and Borla ATAK + Katech 103mm TB + other supporting mods running 18psi up around 1000hp on E85. Stock bottom end. I did this at Roebling Road Raceway doing some track days and didn't turn boost down (with precision wastegate + boost by gear wth Holley) so with NO catch can I think it was too much blow by. I have a custom road race mightymouse catch can setup now. I haven't experienced anymore oil leaks or smoke???
Great man good to see that you are back up and running good. To me David is the best on his catch cans plus he is just a great guy willing to help. I have his can set up & wouldn't run anything else on the car..Robert

Quick Reply: Could PCV blow by (Stock PCV) with F1A-94 @18psi blow out that much oil?