C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I read somewhere, lash caps were bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default I thought I read somewhere, lash caps were bad?

I thought I read somewhere that lash caps were bad for the fuel pump in some what that wasn't expected. I could be completely wrong, but wanted to throw this out and see what i hook. Lt4, and fuel lobe cam increase of lets say 30%. What is the downside?

Last edited by irun4cops; 07-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by irun4cops
I thought I read somewhere that lash caps were bad for the fuel pump in some what that wasn't expected. I could be completely wrong, but wanted to throw this out and see what i hook. Lt4, and fuel lobe cam increase of lets say 30%. What is the downside?
Lash caps are not bad if done correctly. Unfortunately, all the shops that were doing them, we're doing them wrong. There is a lot of measuring that needs to happen to ensure they are using the correct size lash cap that none of them were doing. As long as the installer follows the method I outline in my how to guide you'll be fine..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...learances.html

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-17-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
The following users liked this post:
joemosfet (07-26-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i used to think i was batman... but ill settle for second. You're just a plethora of knowledge on all my threads. Thank you buddy.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by irun4cops
i used to think i was batman... but ill settle for second. You're just a plethora of knowledge on all my threads. Thank you buddy.
NP man. Here to help the community as much as I can.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM
ya3coub
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

For me I know nothing about the mesaurments.

Installed the Pro charger and took the car for dyno with the tuner and the car wasn't getting fuel above 4K RPM

I was so frustrated the car did only 429 WHP with the supercharger installed.

The tuner called the shop and asked them to add the lash caps as they thought I don't need them.

They immediately Installed it I also did the Alky Meth since it was back to them.

The car then did Whp of 717, Now I have the second nozzel installed I don't know how much more if that will add but I'm much happier with the car now.

Just in case I'm looking now for the LT 4 fuel pup, injectors & rails I've been told they are a very good upgrade for the fueling system.

Which I'm searching for I couldn't find something that's reasonable as I'm reading more & more about it before pulling the trigger.

I would say it's been almost three months and no problem with the lashcaps.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ya3coub
For me I know nothing about the mesaurments.

Installed the Pro charger and took the car for dyno with the tuner and the car wasn't getting fuel above 4K RPM

I was so frustrated the car did only 429 WHP with the supercharger installed.

The tuner called the shop and asked them to add the lash caps as they thought I don't need them.

They immediately Installed it I also did the Alky Meth since it was back to them.

The car then did Whp of 717, Now I have the second nozzel installed I don't know how much more if that will add but I'm much happier with the car now.

Just in case I'm looking now for the LT 4 fuel pup, injectors & rails I've been told they are a very good upgrade for the fueling system.

Which I'm searching for I couldn't find something that's reasonable as I'm reading more & more about it before pulling the trigger.

I would say it's been almost three months and no problem with the lashcaps.
Installing a lash cap on the LT1 high-pressure fuel pump will not typically have any issues. If you move to the LT4 fuel system, the high-pressure fuel pump has a longer stroke and therefore you must use the correct thickness lash cap or you will blow the pump up. If the shop that you have do the fuel system upgrades to isn't aware of this specifically, take it somewhere else.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM
ya3coub
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Installing a lash cap on the LT1 high-pressure fuel pump will not typically have any issues. If you move to the LT4 fuel system, the high-pressure fuel pump has a longer stroke and therefore you must use the correct thickness lash cap or you will blow the pump up. If the shop that you have do the fuel system upgrades to isn't aware of this specifically, take it somewhere else.
ohh I didn't know that.

But if I upgrade to the lt4 fuel system, I dont need them i can just remove the lashcap and everything shoyld be fine???
Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ya3coub
ohh I didn't know that.

But if I upgrade to the lt4 fuel system, I dont need them i can just remove the lashcap and everything shoyld be fine???
Wrong. Because you have a 32% fuel lobe and would also have an LT4 pump you need the lash cap to provide proper preload on the pump. But, it neads to be a thinner lash cap. They need to measure to see for sure how thin but likely its an 8MM x 0.060". NOT the 8MM x 0.080". That one is tooo thick.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:15 PM
joeycoates
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Wrong. Because you have a 32% fuel lobe and would also have an LT4 pump you need the lash cap to provide proper preload on the pump. But, it neads to be a thinner lash cap. They need to measure to see for sure how thin but likely its an 8MM x 0.060". NOT the 8MM x 0.080". That one is tooo thick.
I would make sure they pay attention to FYREANT's procedure. I set mine up last night for a 2017 ZL1 with the LT4 using his method. As it turns out the lash cap I have worked perfectly (good to .004 without gasket, safe by .006 with) but if not set up correctly there is a very high chance of breaking the fuel pump bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To I thought I read somewhere, lash caps were bad?

Quick Reply: I thought I read somewhere, lash caps were bad?