C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing boost lower down the rpm range

Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Bringing boost lower down the rpm range

Good day all . Not sure if this subject has been discussed before so here goes . I have a 2015 Z06 , love the car and the power . The car was making 605 rwhp and I think 590 rwt when some mods were done last year , this year , I went with the pro charger set up with Alky . Car now makes 760 rwhp and around 615 rwt , however , the power now comes on way further in the rpm band , as in above 4000 rpm . So the question is , is there a way to cheat the system to bring that power down to start at say 2000 rpm ?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

ECS uses a smaller pulley and restrictor plate to help do this but not sure if it'd work well in this application or not. Smaller pulley = more boost earlier, restrictor plate limits airflow up top.

Overall that's just how it is with centri setups, boost increases w/RPM
The following users liked this post:
Kazman1960 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
ECS uses a smaller pulley and restrictor plate to help do this but not sure if it'd work well in this application or not. Smaller pulley = more boost earlier, restrictor plate limits airflow up top.

Overall that's just how it is with centri setups, boost increases w/RPM
Yeah , I had a centri on my 97 cobra , that was the same ,all high rpm,s , I like the idea of the smaller pulley and restrictor plate . I wonder if its available for Pro charger F1A set up ?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No clue, I don't know much about Prochargers. Perhaps someone else will know.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:22 PM
FlatPlaneCrankDreams
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Down in the 2k range isn't going to be possible. Don't know why you would want to be flooring at 2k either.

The next best best thing without raising peak power is to look at something similar to the " Beefcake Torque Booster" that the Mustang guys use. Along with a smaller pulley.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

You want power down low? Downgrade to a smaller head unit. Thats about the only way..
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by mesparza
Down in the 2k range isn't going to be possible. Don't know why you would want to be flooring at 2k either.

The next best best thing without raising peak power is to look at something similar to the " Beefcake Torque Booster" that the Mustang guys use. Along with a smaller pulley.
Thanks , I checked that out , something like that is exactly what I was thinking about , it shifts the power band lower down the rpm range .
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

How are you even able to get traction? The only gear that will go that low would be 1st. Every other gear shifts above 4k rpm even short shifting. At your power levels, a torque curve leaning to the upper RPMs is actually helpful. If you wanted torque at 2k rpm, should have stuck to the overspun heat pump.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-19-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
How are you even able to get traction? The only gear that will go that low would be 1st. Every other gear shifts above 4k rpm even short shifting. At your power levels, a torque curve leaning to the upper RPMs is actually helpful. If you wanted torque at 2k rpm, should have stuck to the overspun heat pump.
Good point , however , you need to look at the torque curves on the Dyno s to see what I mean , another good point is the overspun heat pump issue . While I didn't see the dreaded overheating issue , I think it was only a matter of time while exploring bolt ons . If Whipple had released their blower , I may have gone with that . The pro charger is a great unit , I just want a little more torque coming off idle , that's all
Old 07-19-2017, 12:05 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

what pulley u using and what blower?
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
Yeah , I had a centri on my 97 cobra , that was the same ,all high rpm,s , I like the idea of the smaller pulley and restrictor plate . I wonder if its available for Pro charger F1A set up ?

The restrictor plate is only good in a small window. It would not work well on an F1X build in my experience. The IAT's out way the TQ increase.

On a low boost car, stock type build it has a small window off efficiency where the tq gain overcomes the IAT difference and it works great, not so much on big boost though.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Which prochg f head unit do you have on the car has to be from coming on in that rpm range. Man I loved the F1X set up I had on the c5 you don't have to paddle the dam car as much from 4,k rpm & up are I didn't. It was hell paddle the crap out of it at the lower rpm range if that right foot got the least bet heavy back tires start to smoke. Robert
Old 07-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by robert miller
Which prochg f head unit do you have on the car has to be from coming on in that rpm range. Man I loved the F1X set up I had on the c5 you don't have to paddle the dam car as much from 4,k rpm & up are I didn't. It was hell paddle the crap out of it at the lower rpm range if that right foot got the least bet heavy back tires start to smoke. Robert
I have the F1A set up , its got whatever the pulley size shipped from factory set up on it . Like i said , boost in the higher RPM range is not the issue as it comes on like crazy above 3500 / 4000 , its the torque thats missing from a PD type blower from say 2000 rpm .
Old 07-27-2017, 03:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
I have the F1A set up , its got whatever the pulley size shipped from factory set up on it . Like i said , boost in the higher RPM range is not the issue as it comes on like crazy above 3500 / 4000 , its the torque thats missing from a PD type blower from say 2000 rpm .
I understand what you are saying here also but like all boosted systems that are made. Each has its on good and bad points on them that is what it is. But like some have said above, you may be able to play with this are that & get the unit to do a little diff but you will be giving up something else in a diff part of the unit working like it was made to do.

I love the way the F1X & F1A comes in on these cars. I didn't have to paddle the car no were like I did the small blowers.

Plus to me the all the top mount blower for a race car are track car is a waste of time and money. Just a toy now for the street only to smoke the tires off of you can beat a top mounted blower.

If you look at a lot of the guys in here that do track time that bought Z06 car. They have pulled to top blower off and went front mount blower set up for more RWHP & TQ. plus not all of the boost over with by 3,k to 3500 rpm & no more in the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Bringing boost lower down the rpm range

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bringing boost lower down the rpm range