C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Props to A&A supercharging of CA!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GroverDill
Thanks for the tips! Im looking forward to getting started.
As it turns out, you may want to skip the step where you completely remove all the lines from the ABS module, as this appears to have potentially been a miss-calculation on my part. I may have just made love to myself in an aggressive manner.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

I bought one of these baby's to get the job done correctly! I wanted a scan tool anyways, so I will take it as a win :-) Hopefully it solves all my problems, even the mental ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091DJX2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091DJX2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted by raylo
Motive bleeder is good and will work great on the brakes. I have one. But the problem is the ABS module. You need a way to get the valves to open to push the fluid through the module and the lines to it, and any bubbles out. You might be able to drive it and make the ABS engage to get some of the bubbles out, then you'll have to bleed the brakes again. As you say, this is kind of shady tree. I have done that after brake fluid flushes to get new fluid to go into the module, but never when there might have been air in there.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Let us know if this tool works. I think you'll find when it comes to peripheral functions like ABS and such these 3rd party tools are far from universal. Not sure exactly what they mean by "opens and closes electronic brake calipers" or if that means it also does the ABS module valves. The only ones I know work for sure are the GM Tech tools, but you never know. I have never actually performed this procedure choosing instead to avoid the need at all costs. When you are ready to button her up you should maybe post a question to the tech forum and someone who has done this can tell you what tools work and describe the procedure better.

BTW, I have a cheaper Autel scan tool that works well and I think they make decent products. More recently I acquired a bluetooth enabled tool but have not yet used it. I will try to pop it in one of these days and see if it has any ABS functionality. I recall researching that when I bought it but don't remember what I discovered. getting senile, I guess....

Originally Posted by only9balls
I bought one of these baby's to get the job done correctly! I wanted a scan tool anyways, so I will take it as a win :-) Hopefully it solves all my problems, even the mental ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by raylo; 06-21-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:13 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Let us know if this tool works. I think you'll find when it comes to peripheral functions like ABS and such these 3rd party tools are far from universal. Not sure exactly what they mean by "opens and closes electronic brake calipers" or if that means it also does the ABS module valves. The only ones I know work for sure are the GM Tech tools, but you never know. I have never actually performed this procedure choosing instead to avoid the need at all costs. When you are ready to button her up you should maybe post a question to the tech forum and someone who has done this can tell you what tools work and describe the procedure better.

BTW, I have a cheaper Autel scan tool that works well and I think they make decent products. More recently I acquired a bluetooth enabled tool but have not yet used it. I will try to pop it in one of these days and see if it has any ABS functionality. I recall researching that when I bought it but don't remember what I discovered. getting senile, I guess....
I believe the "opens and closes the electronic brake calipers" feature is for the electronic parking brake, but there is also an actual ABS module bleed mode it has as well. I don't think every scanner they make has this capability, this is the slightly more expensive "MaxiCheck Pro" version which was specifically called out for having this functionality. I found out about it here:

Incidentally, thank you for pointing this out to me, I am sure I would have eventually figured this out after it reared it's ugly head, but knowing about it ahead of time and being able to jump out in front of it (or at least be prepared for it) is quite helpful!

Last edited by only9balls; 06-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:18 PM
raylo
Drifting

Good find. It looks like that is one of their obsolete tools, but still readily available and the price isn't bad. Hopefully the data can be updated to cover C7s and hopefully the GM C7 ABS protocol is provided. Unlike the standard OBD 2 functions ABS and such is mfg specific and can change with models and years. If it works for you I may pick one of these up. I also wonder if it''ll do TMPS sensor programming.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:28 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Good find. It looks like that is one of their obsolete tools, but still readily available and the price isn't bad. Hopefully the data can be updated to cover C7s and hopefully the GM C7 ABS protocol is provided. Unlike the standard OBD 2 functions ABS and such is mfg specific and can change with models and years. If it works for you I may pick one of these up. I also wonder if it''ll do TMPS sensor programming.
I was wondering the same thing about the TPMS as well I will let you know this weekend after I try it out. I did see in the video that it covered 2016 model years, so I am hopeful the C7 will be in there.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 AM
raylo
Drifting

Been reading a lot of negatives on Autel scanners primarily for getting the data updates. It looks like they want $ for every year's update... and it looks like they stop supporting obsolete models at some point. But if you get one that covers the years and vehicles you own then you are good to go... unless and until you buy a new vehicle in later years. Hopefully the tool you get is not too old stock and has your model year, or includes at least one free update to get it.

Originally Posted by only9balls
I was wondering the same thing about the TPMS as well I will let you know this weekend after I try it out. I did see in the video that it covered 2016 model years, so I am hopeful the C7 will be in there.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Been reading a lot of negatives on Autel scanners primarily for getting the data updates. It looks like they want $ for every year's update... and it looks like they stop supporting obsolete models at some point. But if you get one that covers the years and vehicles you own then you are good to go... unless and until you buy a new vehicle in later years. Hopefully the tool you get is not too old stock and has your model year, or includes at least one free update to get it.
Not to pull this thread any more off-topic, but... I did receive it today, was able to update for free, and it has up to the 2018 Corvette listed in the ABS area, so I will do a separate thread for this if it works, and show my findings.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (06-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Props to A&A supercharging of CA!