C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM issues and FI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default AFM issues and FI?

I'm curious. I've seen a growing # of threads in the general section regarding engine failures and GM blocking powertrain warranty due to car being (tuned). It seems that these engine malfunctions have been related to the AFM and sticking valves. This trend makes me very wary of doing any sort of modding at all, let alone FI.

My questions are:

1. Do the tunes being written for FI, deactivate DOD/AFM?
2. Has there been an engine failure reported after FI install?
3. With the A8, has there been a TC/Transmission issue where GM has denied repair due to Mods, ie. FI?

Thanks in advance for your input. I really want to go FI, but am nervous about a non FI related failure and GM blocking my powertrain warranty.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Martman C7
I'm curious. I've seen a growing # of threads in the general section regarding engine failures and GM blocking powertrain warranty due to car being (tuned). It seems that these engine malfunctions have been related to the AFM and sticking valves. This trend makes me very wary of doing any sort of modding at all, let alone FI.

My questions are:

1. Do the tunes being written for FI, deactivate DOD/AFM?
2. Has there been an engine failure reported after FI install?
3. With the A8, has there been a TC/Transmission issue where GM has denied repair due to Mods, ie. FI?

Thanks in advance for your input. I really want to go FI, but am nervous about a non FI related failure and GM blocking my powertrain warranty.
First, to clarify, if the AFM valves fail, they will fail to their default state which is always open. This would not cause an engine failure of any sort. If anything, this helps the engine run better.

Secondly, are you openly willing to surrender the full powertrain section (Engine and transmission) of your vehicle warranty? If not, then do not go FI. That simple. If you were hoping to go FI and still be able to take your car in for warranty work related to anything that makes the car drive, then you are sorely mistaken. Only way you get to have a forced induction Vette that is covered under warranty is either buy a Z06, buy a Callaway Vette, or buy an Edelbrock kit which augments the factory warranty.

No this isn't the answer you wanted. But this is how it is.

Last edited by FYREANT; 11-28-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by FYREANT
First, to clarify, if the AFM valves fail, they will fail to their default state which is always open. This would not cause an engine failure of any sort. If anything, this helps the engine run better.

Secondly, are you openly willing to surrender the full powertrain section (Engine and transmission) of your vehicle warranty? If not, then do not go FI. That simple. If you were hoping to go FI and still be able to take your car in for warranty work related to anything that makes the car drive, then you are sorely mistaken. Only way you get to have a forced induction Vette that is covered under warranty is either buy a Z06, buy a Callaway Vette, or buy an Edelbrock kit which augments the factory warranty.

Thanks very much for the reply. I pretty much knew this as I have heard the "gotta pay to play" theme many times here. I was more or less looking to see if engines that have failed due to GM faults tend to happen prior to FI being added, or is it just going to fail if it's going to fail kind of thing.

It used to be that if an engine was going to fail, you could more or less find this out by "driving it like you stole it" and if it held up, you were essentially good to go. This last potential GM warranty denial happened to a guy at the 39K mile mark. Usually by then, a bad engine would show itself if that makes sense.

Funny you should mention the Eddlebrock and warranty availability, because I was leaning in that direction.

Last edited by Martman C7; 11-29-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Thanks very much for the reply. I pretty much knew this as I have heard the "gotta pay to play" theme many times here. I was more or less looking to see if engines that have failed due to GM faults tend to happen prior to FI being added, or is it just going to fail if it's going to fail kind of thing.

It used to be that if an engine was going to fail, you could more or less find this out by "driving it like you stole it" and if it held up, you were essentially good to go. This last potential GM warranty denial happened to a guy at the 39K mile mark. Usually by then, a bad engine would show itself if that makes sense.

Funny you should mention the Eddlebrock and warranty availability, because I was leaning in that direction.
Engine failure doesn't -typically- happen due to adding FI unless you try to add too much power to it. As long as you stick to less than 750 rwhp and have it tuned by a shop that knows their stuff, you should be good. "Its all in the tune" is what we will all harp on. The Edelbrock includes a very "safe" tune and you are required to use their tune in order to qualify for their 36 month warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Martman C7 (11-29-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you put a blower on it your warranty is gone. Be financially prepared to pay for any kind of failures such as an engine replacement which can easily be $15,000. You can have a great tuner, but it can and does happen and most people don't announce that their engine failed. The factory cast piston ringlands are typically what fails even if the tune is spot on. There are a lot of blown LT1s out there that live a long and happy life. I suspect there are a lot of blown cars that don't really get pushed hard which is how they can live so long. But if you beat on it at the track drag racing or half mile/mile events anything can happen....

Last edited by Jaycajun; 12-02-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Has anyone here exercised the Edlebrock warranty? I seriously doubt it compares to Callaway in any regard.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Has anyone here exercised the Edlebrock warranty? I seriously doubt it compares to Callaway in any regard.
I don't want to start a Eddlebrock vs. (insert other FI here) debate. I simply meant I was leaning towards the Eddlebrock because I like the factory look it has, and it seems the be right about the power level I'd be looking for. I wont ever track the car and would just be looking for that little edge for street power. I'd be looking for more of a stealth approach, which is why I wont go centrifical FI because the whine / whistle the car makes at idle would be a dead giveaway.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:40 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT

Any dealer I have ever been in didn't care 1 bit about any mod and covered things other things under warranty just fine. It is when your ECM is tuned and you bring it in with a blown engine etc. Is when they have issue. I used to take my C6 with full A&A kit.
Into the dealer and the service manager wanted a ride so I took him.
My current dealer knows I have intake, headers and tune but put in a PVC valve in the blower itself under warranty!
Has never been an issue but I treat my dealer very well!

Except the one I quit going to here in Salem They tried to charge me twice for the same repair when I called them on it they said got mad they were jerks! I never went back! I have bought 7 Corvette's since then. My dealer of 8 years now
likes me! I buy a lot of service and parts!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Any dealer I have ever been in didn't care 1 bit about any mod and covered things other things under warranty just fine. It is when your ECM is tuned and you bring it in with a blown engine etc. Is when they have issue. I used to take my C6 with full A&A kit.
Into the dealer and the service manager wanted a ride so I took him.
My current dealer knows I have intake, headers and tune but put in a PVC valve in the blower itself under warranty!
Has never been an issue but I treat my dealer very well!

Except the one I quit going to here in Salem They tried to charge me twice for the same repair when I called them on it they said got mad they were jerks! I never went back! I have bought 7 Corvette's since then. My dealer of 8 years now
likes me! I buy a lot of service and parts!
Having a good relationship with your dealer is important and can help you, I agree. But I am also trying to set realistic expectations since he specifically mentioned wanting to go forced induction. Since forced induction requires the car to be tuned, this is where you get into risky warranty territory.

While you may be able to get the dealer to cover a snapped axle, or a burnt up clutch on your car with an aftermarket supercharger, you should never -expect- that coverage because its highly likely that your mods caused the damage in the first place. That being said, when you modify the car and break stuff, then take it in to the dealer for repair you should do so knowing full well that it -should- be on your dime because you chose to violate the terms of your powertrain warranty.

In an example scenario, if you went in to the dealer with a snapped axle and they pop the hood and say "your car is supercharged, we're not going to cover the axle", you should have planned for that contingency. It should not come as a shock to you..

Get notified of new replies

To AFM issues and FI?

Quick Reply: AFM issues and FI?