C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our new forced induction build

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:33 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Our oil pan..

The following users liked this post:
Nexxussian (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:35 PM
officermartinez
Pro

..And finally, the last of our parts today. We've got to box up our supercharger and send it back to Paxton for re-assembly.

Nexxussian (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Damn those look byooooo teeeeeee fulllllll.... Have you considered that having some of the parts coated may not allow the heat to escape as well? Just something I was thinking about..
Old 12-14-2017, 06:21 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Damn those look byooooo teeeeeee fulllllll.... Have you considered that having some of the parts coated may not allow the heat to escape as well? Just something I was thinking about..
Yessir, heat was our VERY first concern. Heat management is absolutely crucial for us so it has already been factored in. There should be no issues in regards to the coatings and our thermal management needs. In fact, the headers and exhaust system coating(s) will really help us out this go'round.

Last edited by officermartinez; 12-14-2017 at 06:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by officermartinez:
FYREANT (12-15-2017), Nexxussian (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, the exhaust looks amazing, I love the color choice on the tips.

Last edited by sales @ WXM; 12-15-2017 at 09:19 AM.
officermartinez (12-15-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It all looks great.

I am curious though, why shiny on the exhaust coating under the car, and then (for lack of the proper name) gunmetal on the tips?

Does the shiny coating retain more heat in the pipe?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:50 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by Nexxussian
It all looks great.

I am curious though, why shiny on the exhaust coating under the car, and then (for lack of the proper name) gunmetal on the tips?

Does the shiny coating retain more heat in the pipe?
Ahhh.. Yes, there is a reason. The company that we used for our ceramic coated exhaust parts, offers different levels of protection. The highest performance coating that they offer can withstand up to 2500 degrees F, I believe. That coating only comes in one color.. that polished coating that we have on our headers. The "black" exhaust tips cannot withstand those kinds of temps but they are still rated up to 1600 Fahrenheit, if I'm not mistaken?

The reason we went with black exhaust tips was purely aesthetic reasons. For our car, we wanted the tips to blend into the rear fascia of the car. We've owned 3 different exhausts on our C7 and by far, we prefer the black color over the polished / stainless / chrome / black chrome look. We kind of stumbled onto a secondary reason although, it's because we started getting a little lazy.. that reason is: being able to keep it clean. The chrome / polished / stainless look would quickly get "dirty" from all of the expelled exhaust gases. It was a pain trying to keep those things nice and polished. Also worth mentioning, NOTHING on our car (that's visible) is polished / stainless / chrome. The tips simply did not match our overall theme.
Nexxussian (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:10 AM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Great thread Look forward to following!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by officermartinez
Ahhh.. Yes, there is a reason. The company that we used for our ceramic coated exhaust parts, offers different levels of protection. The highest performance coating that they offer can withstand up to 2500 degrees F, I believe. That coating only comes in one color.. that polished coating that we have on our headers. The "black" exhaust tips cannot withstand those kinds of temps but they are still rated up to 1600 Fahrenheit, if I'm not mistaken?

The reason we went with black exhaust tips was purely aesthetic reasons. For our car, we wanted the tips to blend into the rear fascia of the car. We've owned 3 different exhausts on our C7 and by far, we prefer the black color over the polished / stainless / chrome / black chrome look. We kind of stumbled onto a secondary reason although, it's because we started getting a little lazy.. that reason is: being able to keep it clean. The chrome / polished / stainless look would quickly get "dirty" from all of the expelled exhaust gases. It was a pain trying to keep those things nice and polished. Also worth mentioning, NOTHING on our car (that's visible) is polished / stainless / chrome. The tips simply did not match our overall theme.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM
officermartinez
Pro

DAY 101

Our date has been set for next week. There is a lot of oil in the engine bay area as well as underneath the car, from the previous engine failure. The engine bay and surrounding area(s) are getting cleaned up and degreased. The car is getting prepped as we speak. Once everything has been thoroughly cleaned up, the new motor will go in. Yay!
Nexxussian (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 04:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Awesome!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Was the cause of the previous failure identified? Apologies if I missed it in the thread
Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

That is some extensive laundry list!! Looking forward for more! I assume the reasons why your previous motor blew up is a mix of detonation and too much pressure on the stock rods!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:56 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
That is some extensive laundry list!! Looking forward for more! I assume the reasons why your previous motor blew up is a mix of detonation and too much pressure on the stock rods!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Although we have our theories, suffice it to say, we found the limits of our stock rods.. LOL. A more precise method delivering our fueling needs at our previous HP levels probably also played a small role as well. On this iteration of our new power plant, so many things were taken into consideration. We've taken our time with this build and have made our plans accordingly. Now that 99% of our parts have been acquired, all we can do is follow through with a good tune, not overlook the small details that can lead to big problems and keep our fingers crossed.

It would have been nice to get a few sponsors along the way to help offset the costs but with only 2 more things to buy to finish this build off, it doesn't seem likely that it's going to happen. But hey, that's OK. Everything has been bought and paid for by us.. it will be ours to enjoy and enjoying the fruits of our very hard work, time and labor!
FYREANT (12-24-2017), Nexxussian (12-25-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I feel that the engine would still be alive today, if a turbocharger had been used to supply the power instead.

The power absorbed by the supercharger isn't seen at the rear tires. So if you had a 1k rwhp build then the supercharger was undoubtedly eating 100-200 horsepower, who knows how much (the manufacturer does). The rods felt that, every single KW of it, even when the rear tires did not.

I feel it also would have made another 100+ horsepower for similar reasons (kinetic, rotating energy supplied through different means) and could have been turned down some, to preserve the life of the rods.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 12-26-2017 at 03:11 PM.
schpenxel (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 05:57 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I feel that the engine would still be alive today, if a turbocharger had been used to supply the power instead.

The power absorbed by the supercharger isn't seen at the rear tires. So if you had a 1k rwhp build then the supercharger was undoubtedly eating 100-200 horsepower, who knows how much (the manufacturer does). The rods felt that, every single KW of it, even when the rear tires did not.

I feel it also would have made another 100+ horsepower for similar reasons (kinetic, rotating energy supplied through different means) and could have been turned down some, to preserve the life of the rods.
Well, you very well might be correct.. or slightly off-the-mark and incorrect. It's hard to say for sure but easy to speculate after the fact. Having been 1000+ rwhp presents its own sorts of issues but not very much data is out there on 1K+ rwhp C7's surviving on factory stock rods for an extended period of time. So, turbo / supercharged / nitrous C7's at that type of power level may or may not have the longest life in front of them when compared to other extreme levels of power from the various and different power adder options out there on the market. Only time, experience and honest discussions will tell.

Nexxussian (12-30-2017), WKM (01-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Our new forced induction build

Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Well, you very well might be correct.. or slightly off-the-mark and incorrect. It's hard to say for sure but easy to speculate after the fact. Having been 1000+ rwhp presents its own sorts of issues but not very much data is out there on 1K+ rwhp C7's surviving on factory stock rods for an extended period of time. So, turbo / supercharged / nitrous C7's at that type of power level may or may not have the longest life in front of them when compared to other extreme levels of power from the various and different power adder options out there on the market. Only time, experience and honest discussions will tell.

Well said. You're exactly right. 1000 wheel on a stock rod is just on borrowed time. The tune would have to have a very conservative amount of timing and good gas or higher than 93 would be a must. Any little bit of rattle and the rod would go.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Sounds like you are curious now. I would consult with the mfg. of the supercharger to find out how much power it consumes at that flow-rate, then add that to your BHP figure. You might be surprised that the engine at 1000rwhp could be producing nearly 1400 horse at the crankshaft.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:54 AM
nbatc
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Our new forced induction build