C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E Force or Callaway SC-627 for C7 GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:45 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E Force or Callaway SC-627 for C7 GS

I have a 2017 Grand Sport with 2k mi on the clock and am trying to decide between the Edelbrock E Force Stage 1 and the Callaway SC-627 kits for a FI upgrade. Would appreciate any feedback on first-hand knowledge/experience with either of these set-ups in a C-7 GS. I am currently leaning towards the Callaway product but am looking for more comparative info before making a final decision. HP, torque, cost, and warranty differences aside, how do the two stack up? With due respect, I do not seek your opinions on the relative merits of Roots vs. centri superchargers. That has been adequately discussed in another thread. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I too have a 17 GS A8 and I installed Magnuson Heartbeat last month & couldn't be happier. My 60-130 times is below 8 sec

There you have it. A third option to confuse you even more
The following users liked this post:
LouD (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
I too have a 17 GS A8 and I installed Magnuson Heartbeat last month & couldn't be happier. My 60-130 times is below 8 sec

There you have it. A third option to confuse you even more
Thanks for stirring the pot Now I have to ask you what went into your decision to go with the Magnuson Heartbeat?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

I have an Edelbrock stage 2 E force and couldn't be happier. I've crushed a new 2017 ZL1 Camaro. I've also beat 3 sport bikes, they all laughed before we raced then I got thumbs up after I beat them. I know there are bikes out there that would put a hurting on me...Beat up on a few other cars that weren't even competition. I have no doubt my cars easily running high 10s in the quarter. I did get smoked by one car, 850whp GTR. He left me like my wheels fell off.
It took me and a friend about 15 hrs to install the E force and I got the kit from a vendor here for $6900.
Made 519 on a Mustang Dyno with the conservative Edelbrock tune.
Callaway has a great reputation as well, just a lot more expensive.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 12-13-2017 at 10:59 PM.
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Agree with you there. In addition to my Stingray with the stage 2 E-Force I have a 17 ZL1. The Stingray is faster for sure.

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
I have an Edelbrock stage 2 E force and couldn't be happier. I've crushed a new 2017 ZL1 Camaro.

Last edited by 7LitreC5; 12-14-2017 at 05:19 PM.
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 AM
LouD
Intermediate

I have an Edelbrock stage 2 E force and couldn't be happier. I've crushed a new 2017 ZL1 Camaro. I've also beat 3 sport bikes, they all laughed before we raced then I got thumbs up after I beat them. I know there are bikes out there that would put a hurting on me...Beat up on a few other cars that weren't even competition. I have no doubt my cars easily running high 10s in the quarter. I did get smoked by one car, 850whp GTR. He left me like my wheels fell off.
It took me and a friend about 15 hrs to install the E force and I got the kit from a vendor here for $6900.
https://youtu.be/2kqVIhiht5c
Is it correct that the fuel pump and injectors have to be replaced for Stage 2?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LouD
Is it correct that the fuel pump and injectors have to be replaced for Stage 2?
No... that was on the C6 kit..
Only difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 E Force is the pulley size and tune.
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:30 AM
LouD
Intermediate

No... that was on the C6 kit..
Only difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 E Force is the pulley size and tune.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 AM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I too have the Magnuson and enjoy it. I don't know the Callaway, other than reading about it, but looks to me that the power would be comparable. I would have gone the Callaway route if my C7 wasn't over the 5000 miles mark and had the extra cash. It's a bit more expensive but, you have the Callaway/dealership backed warranty. I know the the Magnuson/E-force have a warranty but it must be professionally/ASE certified installed.
Also, the Callaway cuts your hood so you would need to be ok with that.

HTH,
Pj
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pj-c7
I too have the Magnuson and enjoy it. I don't know the Callaway, other than reading about it, but looks to me that the power would be comparable. I would have gone the Callaway route if my C7 wasn't over the 5000 miles mark and had the extra cash. It's a bit more expensive but, you have the Callaway/dealership backed warranty. I know the the Magnuson/E-force have a warranty but it must be professionally/ASE certified installed.
Also, the Callaway cuts your hood so you would need to be ok with that.

HTH,
Pj
Sounds like thrills/dollar goes to Magnason and E-force but peace of mind and perhaps retained value tilt toward Callaway.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:01 PM
LouD
Intermediate

https://youtu.be/2kqVIhiht5c
PM sent.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:07 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

PM sent.
Replied
Old 12-14-2017, 03:56 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Replied
Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I went w/ the Magnuson as it has larger intercooler bricks than the Edelbrock and being in AZ, I wanted as cool air as possible. From the research I did, in the hot climates it recovered faster than the Edelbrock and that was my determining factor, I liked the E-Force a lot and it was a touch call to make.
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for stirring the pot Now I have to ask you what went into your decision to go with the Magnuson Heartbeat?
Both the E-force and Heartbeat were priced similar. I choose the Heartbeat for the following

-Intake air temp is lower on the Heartbeat. Not sure if it is due to better intercoolers or different location of IAT sensor (or both). I confirmed this during my WOT logs

-Pulley options is better on the Heartbeat (assuming you get the version with the dedicated secondary drive like mine). I've seen several cars with Heartbeat pushing 800+rwhp and/or running 9s in the 1/4

-I just like the look of the Heartbeat. Looks more factory/stealth
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:30 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

I dont have issues with my IATs on my WOT datalogs. As far as pulleys the Edelbrock E Force, stage 1- 624hp, stage 2 - 660hp, stage 3 - 847hp.
As far a looks thats, that depends on your opinion. I do agree with you that the maggie looks more OEM/stealth.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 12-14-2017 at 05:31 PM.
LouD (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:39 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
I went w/ the Magnuson as it has larger intercooler bricks than the Edelbrock and being in AZ, I wanted as cool air as possible. From the research I did, in the hot climates it recovered faster than the Edelbrock and that was my determining factor, I liked the E-Force a lot and it was a touch call to make.
Thanks..appreciate the feedback. That's useful info. I'm in MD and don't intend to track so heat soak shouldn't be an issue with the E-force.

Get notified of new replies

To E Force or Callaway SC-627 for C7 GS

Old 12-14-2017, 05:47 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
Both the E-force and Heartbeat were priced similar. I choose the Heartbeat for the following

-Intake air temp is lower on the Heartbeat. Not sure if it is due to better intercoolers or different location of IAT sensor (or both). I confirmed this during my WOT logs

-Pulley options is better on the Heartbeat (assuming you get the version with the dedicated secondary drive like mine). I've seen several cars with Heartbeat pushing 800+rwhp and/or running 9s in the 1/4

-I just like the look of the Heartbeat. Looks more factory/stealth
I'm guessing you are in a warmer climate than where I am in MD, so air temp more of an issue. For looks, my preference would be the Callaway but not worth the additional $$ for cosmetics. The more info you folks have been kind enough to share, the more I lean toward the E-force. But case not yet closed.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:42 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I'm guessing you are in a warmer climate than where I am in MD, so air temp more of an issue. For looks, my preference would be the Callaway but not worth the additional $$ for cosmetics. The more info you folks have been kind enough to share, the more I lean toward the E-force. But case not yet closed.
An intact factory warranty is a lot more than cosmetics.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:21 PM
LouD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
An intact factory warranty is a lot more than cosmetics.
Thanks for your feedback but I am comfortable with Edelbrock's new warranty policy.

"Our new Limited Powertrain Warranty will pay up to $16,500 to cover the cost of parts and repairs for engine, transmission and rear axle components if a warranted vehicle suffers a mechanical failure. Now you can outfit your ride with an E-Force Supercharger and have the peace of mind that you'll be covered!"

If I lose my factory warranty, I can do a lot of non-drivetrain related repairs with the additional $8K and still be at parity.

Quick Reply: E Force or Callaway SC-627 for C7 GS