C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Tanks....Are they necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:22 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by prince8619
How does it work to release pressure without causing a vacuum leak?
it works great! here's a video

Originally Posted by pj-c7
I have a 2016 Stingray with Magnuson PD blower @6-7 PSI and never see any pressure in my mishimoto catch can. I rigged it with a 1-2PSI relieve valve (hidden in the breather filter) and a pressure switch calibrated for just under 1 PSI. The switch has never gone off as of yet. It is in vacuum until boost closes the PCV valve. If it pressurizes, it would set off the alarm (LED in the dash) and eventually open the relief valve. Again, never have seen it go off yet (it remained triggered until manually reset).

I'm guessing for higher boost applications or you do have some amount of blow by that is not escaped through the valve cover vents, then you may see some pressure...

Pics: https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/9162507
very cool idea, and good on you for looking for proof, but the way your system is arranged that location is not where you would find pressure. put the sensor in the crankcase discharge line connecting to the main air filter. looks like you are wet sump so that's one of the valve cover forward hoses depending on what maggie did in their kit.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
The following users liked this post:
prince8619 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool, thanks. The Maggie kit relocates the PCV valve so the input to the can is straight from the valley port. The PCV valve is after the can before the intake.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Cool, thanks. The Maggie kit relocates the PCV valve so the input to the can is straight from the valley port. The PCV valve is after the can before the intake.
that is true and unrelated to my suggestion
Old 02-21-2018, 02:18 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by David@MMS
that is true and unrelated to my suggestion

I will definitely try out your suggestion. Thanks.

Pj
Old 02-22-2018, 01:44 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just FYI if the valley fitting isnt changed out it is a pcv valve its self.
pj-c7 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 PM
prince8619
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I ended up calling Andy from A&A and talked to him about catch cans and I also asked him about his experience with ppl having issues with crank case pressure.

He said in the beginning when the 2014 C7 came out, they had some issues, but ever since they changed the PCV hoses to a bigger size and used a 5/8 hose, he has not heard of anyone having issues with front and rear seals going out. With the bigger hose, he explained their is enough pressure release and more air can move. He actually said he never runs a catch can on any of his cars.

I personally am going to install one and as far as CC pressure..maybe at bigger +800RWHP builds I could see it being a must. For most of us it shouldn't be an issues.

Last edited by prince8619; 02-22-2018 at 08:15 PM.
typhoontaz (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:08 PM
prince8619
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I know that MM sells the best Catch Cans and have a very good reputation.

But.. Here is my setup:
Went online and ordered a 2 port, double baffled, with breather/filter CatchCan for $25. Than went out to Wal-Mart and bought stain steel scrubbing pads for $3. Put 1 inside the CatchCan to capture more oil. Than went to my local Auto parts store and bought 6 feet of 5/8 hose for $10. Also bought a one way check value for the top breather/filter for $6, to avoid vacuum leaks. I replaced the PCV hose with 5/8 to handle more air volume and reduced crank case pressure.

To avoid the smell in the cabin, the filter up top can be removed and a hose can be ran from the top, to the front passenger side of the car and the filter placed there.

Here is the completed setup: Double Baffled CatchCan

The stainless steel pads:

Last edited by prince8619; 02-22-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Breather Tanks....Are they necessary??