C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I need a “Corvette competent” tuner

Old 05-30-2018, 10:25 PM
harris48cars
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Why do I need a “Corvette competent” tuner

What’s wrong with someone who has been tuning cars for 20+ years. But not Corvettes. Someone who says they can tune it with no issues. And has an outstanding reputation. If your tuning to air/fuel ratio, what difference does it make if a non corvette tuner brings the A/F ratio were it should be. Of course I wouldn’t do it. I just wonder why it has to be, must be a Corvette guy.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I think they are specifically referring to "Gen V" competent. They seem to be much different tuning wise vs previous generations.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

Agree, the gen 5 is a different beast... Some of the old tricks which worked on different platforms will wreck something real fast on these cars. **** theres "competent" GM only tuners on here who still cant figure out the gen 5.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:30 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

ya tuning gen v stuff is a new ballgame. just because you can do an ls car doesn't mean you can do these.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I can promise he will have issues if it’s his 1st one. I don’t care if he was burning chips in the 80s and been tuning ever since. Trust me, and everyone else when they say the gen5 is no joke. I know a LOT more now than I did about the ge5 in Jan 2015 but I am still VERY much in the dark, as are MANY otherwise fully competent tuners. Stick to the guys that are doing it right. Trust me, they stick out in this crowd...

John
Old 05-31-2018, 09:17 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Agree with everyone above. Think of it like this - so a guys been tuning for 20 years. Then the gen V direct injection platform comes out. Its like saying that because he’s been able to tune everything the last twenty years (equivalent of tuning a lawnmower) that he should be good to tune an F16. Yes, they both run on air and fuel, but if you screw up on one of them it costs more than you can believe!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM
RossDowningChevrolet
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Agree with everyone above. Think of it like this - so a guys been tuning for 20 years. Then the gen V direct injection platform comes out. Its like saying that because he’s been able to tune everything the last twenty years (equivalent of tuning a lawnmower) that he should be good to tune an F16. Yes, they both run on air and fuel, but if you screw up on one of them it costs more than you can believe!

Much truth here......consider seriously, and choose wisely.
Ross Downing Chevrolet
Louisiana's #1 Corvette Dealer since 1992
985-345-1285

"PUTTING DREAMS IN DRIVEWAYS ACROSS AMERICA"

Join our Facebook Corvette community!

New Corvettes For Sale | Used Corvettes For Sale | About Us | Contact Us
Old 06-01-2018, 04:26 PM
harris48cars
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks fo the replies. Makes more sense now. I just have a good friend in Baltimore who owns Anderson Performance East, and he deals with the F.A.S,T. Computer systems for cars. At one time he owned the fast Buick Grand National in the country.... 7.2. But if I do the supercharger I will heed the advice I’m hearing on the forum.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Because it uses a totally different tuning model than previous designs. It isn't about mapping the airflow or VE anymore, it is a torque based system (and even then I'm probably wrong because I haven't touched one yet). I've tuned hundreds of LS cars, but wouldn't touch a gen 5 because I know they have all sorts of tricks and issues. Throttle demand tables, etc.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:08 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Your not wrong, it IS a torque based controller. And it seems EVERY damn table you touch has multiple modifiers and you need to log a bunch of crap just to see what ecm **** is jacking with the model. And yes, driver demand tables...easy for some guys here, not so much for others like me. I tuned with LS edit and data logged with auto tap, before that accel DFI. Showing my age and the fact that I’m not new to tuning all at one time

John
Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It's just like finding a mechanic. The guy that's been wrenching on Hondas for 25 years will be lost if you bring him a new Vette. Same principal.

Find a tuner who has tuned your car.

Last edited by Millennium FRC; 06-04-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM
06nine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Great advice here. Be wary of tuners who aren’t full time tuners- I figured out this the hard way as my so-called tuner ended up learning way too much on my Camaro! You’ll certainly want someone who’s already experienced in tuning your car-and your particular application as well.
And I’m not sure that pricing should be a major factor here; a great tune is worth every penney of your hard earned money!

Get notified of new replies

To Why do I need a “Corvette competent” tuner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do I need a “Corvette competent” tuner