C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few A&A questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts
Default A few A&A questions

Not really serious enough yet to bother A&A directly, but enough that I read the directions for the basic install. A couple of quick questions for those of you that DIY'ed this.

1. Is there anything different for the Z51?
2. Do you need to drain the coolant? Looks to me like no?
3. Does the package come with a tune (and a device to install it) for a standard low boost (550-575 HP) no-meth install?
4. I read about possible front seal issues. Is it a good idea to install an upgraded seal whilst installing the kit?

Kinda getting the itch and the job doesn't look that difficult... will soon have plenty of time (retiring). Honestly the parts that worry me the most are cutting the plastic panel accurately and fishing the charge hoses through where the directions say it is tight but "will go". Is that perhaps an understatement?

Last edited by raylo; 06-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

if you are still shopping and comparing kits. procharger offers a canned tune,and supplied pieces from gm that are pre cut. makes it easier to return to stock if needed. also no need for abs module repositioning or water pump change.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kc stingray
if you are still shopping and comparing kits. procharger offers a canned tune,and supplied pieces from gm that are pre cut. makes it easier to return to stock if needed. also no need for abs module repositioning or water pump change.
On the other hand its much easier to modify the parts needed then to change them out. Much easier. For the few that revert back to stock its really a non issue. The ECS kit also makes more torque then they other two if installed as supplied and it comes with a blower that will make serious power with nothing more then a pulley change as long as supplemental fuel is addressed. Ecs kit can also be installed without removing the nose of the car. The coolant does need to be drained and yes the ABS is moved some.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I like the A/A set up you get a new great after market balancer. Plus simple bolt on & it also has a great pulley set up that helps not letting the belt slip on you.. Plus if you need help Andy always pick up on the phone & about to help on any questions. Robert
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by raylo
Not really serious enough yet to bother A&A directly, but enough that I read the directions for the basic install. A couple of quick questions for those of you that DIY'ed this.

1. Is there anything different for the Z51?
2. Do you need to drain the coolant? Looks to me like no?
3. Does the package come with a tune (and a device to install it) for a standard low boost (550-575 HP) no-meth install?
4. I read about possible front seal issues. Is it a good idea to install an upgraded seal whilst installing the kit?

Kinda getting the itch and the job doesn't look that difficult... will soon have plenty of time (retiring). Honestly the parts that worry me the most are cutting the plastic panel accurately and fishing the charge hoses through where the directions say it is tight but "will go". Is that perhaps an understatement?
1. yes, there is a difference. Need to get the one made for your model.
2. Yes you have to drain coolant.
3. No, no tune is included, but one will be indeed needed.
4. Get a breather tank. No issues with crankcase pressure then.

Cutting the panel isn't too bad. Fishing the hoses through isn’t that bad. The biggest PITA is relocating the ABS module.

Call Josh at A&A. He’ll get you setup. Make sure to ask for the free upgraded head unit.

Ant
The following users liked this post:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (06-08-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:12 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
1. yes, there is a difference. Need to get the one made for your model.

Do you happen to know what the difference is? I am installing a Z51 kit today, but am kind of stuck on what to do with the transmission cooler in the front, as it sits directly where the intercooler goes

Do you know what the process is for those (hopefully not removing it)?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 AM
raylo
Drifting

I'm guessing you have an A8. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the secondary tranny cooler needs to be removed, if that's what that piece is. But don't quote me on that, my memory might not be correct. Luckily mine is an M7.

Originally Posted by only9balls
Do you happen to know what the difference is? I am installing a Z51 kit today, but am kind of stuck on what to do with the transmission cooler in the front, as it sits directly where the intercooler goes

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-09-2018, 09:37 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Thanks,
Dave
The difference is the crank pulley. If you have a Z51 the crank pulley is different than the wet sump. That is because the crank on a Z51 (and Z06) stick out farther so the pulley has a longer snout. Mine is an M7 2014 which predates all ancillary coolers in the front.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:45 AM
raylo
Drifting

Strange, I didn't see any steps in the install instructions that disconnected any hoses or the water pump?

Would a catch can be a better solution to maintain the PCV circuit and increase the volume a bit? But with the SC in there where would the can go?

The biggest PITA is relocating the ABS module.

How far does the module need to move?

Call Josh at A&A. He’ll get you setup. Make sure to ask for the free upgraded head unit.

Will do when (if) I am ready.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:40 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Strange, I didn't see any steps in the install instructions that disconnected any hoses or the water pump?

Would a catch can be a better solution to maintain the PCV circuit and increase the volume a bit? But with the SC in there where would the can go?

The instructions do have a little blurb in there about removing a small coolant hose connector on the drivers side of the radiator, in order to make removal of the sway bar possible, but they don't mention that you should drain the coolant prior to removing that connector. Unless you have a full length lift you can stand under, you will need to disconnect that hose to get the sway bar out.

I figure mine is two years old now, so it could use a coolant change anyways.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:09 AM
raylo
Drifting

Ahh... thanks, I missed that. I have a QuickJack, can't stand under but is full length.

The instructions do have a little blurb in there about removing a small coolant hose connector on the drivers side of the radiator, in order to make removal of the sway bar possible, but they don't mention that you should drain the coolant prior to removing that connector. Unless you have a full length lift you can stand under, you will need to disconnect that hose to get the sway bar out.

I figure mine is two years old now, so it could use a coolant change anyways.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:23 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Unless they changed the instructions, you have to remove the lower radiator hose from the engine side and trim about 3 inches off it.

Not really. A breather tank is the way to go. Could do a mighty mouse setup. But I have an LMR breather and my car been good ever since.

Enough to be not fun. You will need help with this. Someone will need to hold it when it needs to go while you put the bolts back in.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:26 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Ahh... thanks, I missed that. I have a QuickJack, can't stand under but is full length.

I am using a Quickjack as well, and the vehicle is too close to the ground to finagle the sway bar out without removing the hose.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:29 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Unless they changed the instructions, you have to remove the lower radiator hose from the engine side and trim about 3 inches off it.

I don't think that is necessary, it only requires relocating the lower hose slightly, by drilling a new mounting hole for the hose clamp in the fan assembly.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I am using a Quickjack as well, and the vehicle is too close to the ground to finagle the sway bar out without removing the hose.
I never removed that hose when i did mine actually.

I don't think that is necessary, it only requires relocating the lower hose slightly, by drilling a new mounting hole for the hose clamp in the fan assembly.
They must have changed the instructions then. For my 2014 I had to cut 3” off the hose.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:26 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

They must have changed the instructions then. For my 2014 I had to cut 3” off the hose.

Well, the day isn't over yet LOL, I am still in the middle of installing mine, who knows what other hidden gems I will find
Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

do not need to drain coolant, I did not. Abs modular is easy to move, at least I thought so. You have to remove trans cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To A few A&A questions

Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM
raylo
Drifting

How far does the ABS module move? From the photos it looks like it moves toward the wheel well. Is that correct? Those big lines aren't hard to bend?

Originally Posted by chefcg1
do not need to drain coolant, I did not. Abs modular is easy to move, at least I thought so. You have to remove trans cooler.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chefcg1

I was actually able to relocate the trans cooler It did require a small bit of fabrication though.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 AM
ricmalaz
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I just finished my self install of the A&A Si on my 2016 Z51 and got it tuned today. Did not have to drain the coolant.

Quick Reply: A few A&A questions