C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What SC kit is the easiest to install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts
Default What SC kit is the easiest to install?

From what I gather the ProCharger looks like the easiest kit to install. Am I correct in understanding this?

This is something I would love to tackle myself but I would like to avoid taking the entire car apart, cutting, drilling ect ect.

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,917 Posts

Procharger for sure. Definitely the most DIY garage friendly.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

procharger
Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Other then needing to move the ABS some the easiest is the ECS kit. Dont be fooled by the fact that Procharger includes a precut piece of plastic ducting that feeds the radiator from the grille opening. The cutting of that part is minimal compared to the amount of work needed to remove and install that replacement part. The ECS kit can also be installed without removing the nose of the car. Yes you do need to remove the lower front bolts but only those. A new lower panel is provided already cut. The radiator does need to be drained but not moved. The steering needs to be moved to access the crank bolt as it does with any kit. Can be done without completely removing the steering rack. The kit offers the best torque curve and a supercharger capable of much higher HP with the addition of fuel system mods and only removing a restrictor plate or going further with a smaller head unit pulley. Call ECS 609-758-0321. 15+ kits require changing the water manifold (not water pump) which is easily done and factory gaskets are supplied. This is usually an exchanged item.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Originally Posted by RpeterK
Other then needing to move the ABS some the easiest is the ECS kit. Dont be fooled by the fact that Procharger includes a precut piece of plastic ducting that feeds the radiator from the grille opening. The cutting of that part is minimal compared to the amount of work needed to remove and install that replacement part. The ECS kit can also be installed without removing the nose of the car. Yes you do need to remove the lower front bolts but only those. A new lower panel is provided already cut. The radiator does need to be drained but not moved. The steering needs to be moved to access the crank bolt as it does with any kit. Can be done without completely removing the steering rack. The kit offers the best torque curve and a supercharger capable of much higher HP with the addition of fuel system mods and only removing a restrictor plate or going further with a smaller head unit pulley. Call ECS 609-758-0321. 15+ kits require changing the water manifold (not water pump) which is easily done and factory gaskets are supplied. This is usually an exchanged item.

Any insight into generally what one can expect from Procharger/ECS in terms of power?

I have no desire to add METH to the car either. . .

IE: If I buy one of these and slap it on, changing literally nothing else, is that going to be ok? Will I "NEED" or "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" anything else? (Other than a tune, which I gather Procharger gives you in the kit)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Wow, that read like a brochure, contact info and all.

Last edited by Kracka; 06-17-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
IE: If I buy one of these and slap it on, changing literally nothing else, is that going to be ok? Will I "NEED" or "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" anything else? (Other than a tune, which I gather Procharger gives you in the kit)
Procharger includes the tune, but does recommend changing out the spark plugs.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Originally Posted by Kracka
Procharger includes the tune, but does recommend changing out the spark plugs.

They are different plugs I assume?

Anyone have the procharger install guide?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
They are different plugs I assume?

Anyone have the procharger install guide?
One step colder; NGK 6510.

I do. What's your email?

Last edited by Kracka; 06-17-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

PM'ed
Old 06-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Sent.
The following users liked this post:
Nuclearranger (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:33 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Sent.

When I look at shops selling these they have many options. Are there any recommended options ?

I see things like "Upgraded blowoff" and inlets (standard or race)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

No need to upgrade the BOV unless you plan to really crank up the boost (and power). Standard inlet retains the stock airbox for cool airflow, race option is an open element filter sucking in hot engine bay air (but less restrictive). Race option is great for a dyno queen or drag car, but on the street and road course the standard is likely going to be your better bet.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Nuclearranger
Pro

This is my own ignorance but, I hear/see that 4.25 inches is the standard pully.

Are there downsides to dropping a few sizes (I live in MN)?

Standard is 7psi, what if I went to 8 or 9 or X? At what point do you need METH? I want to avoid that hassle.

Second question- I primarily use the car for AutoX and plan to do a few track days. I gather the horizontal intercooler is the better option. Is one or the other REALLY any better? Easier to install? Maintain? Ect?

Thanks a ton!
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

The pulley/psi/meth questions are really ones you want answered by an experienced tuner so I won't comment on that.

For autox and track days you'll be better off with the horizontal since it allows more airflow to the radiator to keep the engine coolant and oil temps down. Install should be about the same, and no intercooler maintenance either way other than rinsing it off occasionally to get bugs and road debris out of the fins.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Nuclearranger
Pro

The pulley/psi/meth questions are really ones you want answered by an experienced tuner so I won't comment on that.

For autox and track days you'll be better off with the horizontal since it allows more airflow to the radiator to keep the engine coolant and oil temps down. Install should be about the same, and no intercooler maintenance either way other than rinsing it off occasionally to get bugs and road debris out of the fins.
Thanks!

I would love some notes on what pully to get and a few points on why. I imagine there is more to it than "smaller pully = more hp with no downsides" at some point you need more gas/cooling/Meth/ect. Trying to gauge what that point is exactly. I wouldn't imagine going from 4.25 to 4.0 would be the killing factor, especially in mn, but maybe.

Are the stock wheels up to snuff with an extra 150 or so HP? I'v been looking at getting something a bit more track focused anyway, but I am curious to this point.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Where in MN are you? I was born & raised up there.

Procharger will only supply you with a canned tune if you stick with their base setup, once you start upgrading it you will absolutely need a custom tune. The base kit on an otherwise stock car is good for about 540whp on the supplied tune, and just shy of 600whp with custom tuning (93-octane). A few more bolt-ons and you'll be knocking on the door of the stock fuel system's limitations without touching the pulley.

Last edited by Kracka; 06-18-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What SC kit is the easiest to install?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Where in MN are you? I was born & raised up there.

Procharger will only supply you with a canned tune if you stick with their base setup, once you start upgrading it you will absolutely need a custom tune. The base kit on an otherwise stock car is good for about 540whp on the supplied tune, and just shy of 600whp with custom tuning (93-octane). A few more bolt-ons and you'll be knocking on the door of the stock fuel system's limitations without touching the pulley.
The canned tune would be invalid after a tiny pully change? They probably have some other tunes for minor changes is my guess.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

As far as I'm aware, they'll only supply the tune with their standard off-the-shelf kit, I haven't heard anything about multiple versions, but you could always give them a call and get the info straight from the horse's mouth

Report back with what you learn!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

As far as I'm aware, they'll only supply the tune with their standard off-the-shelf kit, I haven't heard anything about multiple versions, but you could always give them a call and get the info straight from the horse's mouth

Report back with what you learn!

They only have the 1 tune for the 4.25 anything else is custom.

The really odd bit of info is that they said they horizontal intercooler is ONLY for 2014. IE: My 2016 z51 can only run the vertical setup and indeed any 2015+ can only have the vertical setup.

I thought this might only be an issue on autos but he was not clear about that.

Last edited by Nuclearranger; 06-18-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: What SC kit is the easiest to install?