C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LT4 Supercharger on my LT1 Broke? I am sick!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default My LT4 Supercharger on my LT1 Broke? I am sick!

I just flew home from Reno to Seattle area because of issues with the Supercharger. The car is on a shipping truck for transport. Why?
On the way down the Supercharger Serpentine broke, This happened without much notice, I was driving down I5 in Oregon when I noticed a tempoary amount of smoke coming out the wheel area wile going 65, wife commented on smell. The next turn off I made and found out the belt had broke, it was easy to see as the break was on top of the Suppercharger pulley wheel and there was debris on the Supercharger front end. I happened to see a NAPA store 50 yards away and went win and within min. had a new -HD belt. For one reason or another I could not get it on (no tools). We drove down to Reno from there and the car seems to drive fine (no engine code, no overheating , nothing) just lost that extra power and some power in the higher gears, hard to tell.
When we arrived in Reno I went to the dealership to have them put the new belt on and was shocked! I am still having medical issues (anxiety attacks) and this happened last week as we stayed for the Reno Car show, did the show but missed a lot of events. What a bummer.
Upon further inspection the told me the Supercharger must of locked up! Unbelievable, WTF I thought these were tanks. I have been extremely conservative since my install and its only been on for around 4 months and less than 1,000 miles.

Here is what we saw;
The upper WeaponX pulley was discolored from black to a brown condition and the wheel is actually showing it being out of round by about a 1/8th of an inch (damaged need replacement)
The Pulley wheel directly below is caked with belt debris and its like glue on there but turns with a small amount of friction. could of locked out I have no idea yet. (damaged need replacement)
The whole area shows debris under the charger and down below the front engine area. All belt material
The belt looks to of have all its damage in one spot and actually appears to of had about 3 inches of material completely decinigrate and then the belt broke (Ti does look about 3 inches shorter there the new one.
Turning the Supercharger pulley wheel does not produce any issues a feels just like when I bought it. Smooth turning, no noise, the shaft is true.
While in Reno the car "check engine" light came on and it coded to lean fuel on banks 1 and 2. I cleared it and with little more driving around did not come back. Thats why I shipped home. last straw and did not want further damage.
I was surprised at how the engine still started easy, no misses, regular power (at the LT1 level) and on the freeway performed fine with no heating issues even though it was close to 90 degrees most of the way.
With this data the chevy dealer and in his own works "Gary I have some really bad news" Has anybody had similar issues like this with their supercharger, I feel this is a fluke, but guess who I have to convince, and after 12 hours of travel via 2 planes, car rental and several shuttle rides seeing me freak out, make arrangements with transporter and hotel to keep car till pickup (and come up with this plan over other options - like drive it home - repair at dealership go home and pick up - she is fed up. To top it off, at the awards ceremony I got zero awards for the car, not even the hard luck awards! Humm!

When the car gets back I am having the local shop that did the install look for second opinion.
I got the Supercharger from WeaponX so I will be getting ahold of them today! Warrantee? HELP?

Pictures to follow! I plan that once home remove the pulley wheels and order new, take the supercharger cover off (if not done at the supercharger shop and see if I can see any damage.

Ok guys chime in on what you think happened, need your expertise! The wife is pissed and wants it put back to normal (without the Supercharger)

HELP. HELP!

Last edited by MrGary2011; 09-11-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: error
Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
onebad1lE
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Either blower was bad before install or u over spun blower and melted the bearing inside blower
i only use 17 and up blower -16 and lower make too much heat
I can look at tune to make sure no problems there for u?
Hopefully it didnt blow up your engine
if not. - u can either buy new 17 blower or rebuild send it too JOKER his is awesome
Take throttle body off and look inside blower - take a pic and post it

Last edited by onebad1lE; 09-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:01 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onebad1lE
Either blower was bad before install or u over spun blower and melted the bearing inside blower
i only use 17 and up blower -16 and lower make too much heat
I can look at tune to make sure no problems there for u?
Hopefully it didnt blow up your engine
if not. - u can either buy new 17 blower or rebuild send it too JOKER his is awesome
Take throttle body off and look inside blower - take a pic and post it
Ok thanks! The engine seems fine! Looked at the oil and its clean but thats why I did not drive home, did not want to be broke down in the desert somewhere. The Supercharger is a older model as I wanted the supercharger to fit under the hood clea, I have had no issues with heat as I bought the Granetelle heat expansion take and temps have been normal.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM
onebad1lE
Instructor

Do u have HP tuners The main engine temp is not the blower temp
check top pulley on blower see if it moves easy. And take pic on throttle body inlet
Old 09-11-2018, 12:41 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Do u have HP tuners The main engine temp is not the blower temp
check top pulley on blower see if it moves easy. And take pic on throttle body inlet
Man I am having a bad time. So I do have a Diablo but the dang thing sometimes stays on when you turn off the engine so on the trip I unplugged (CRAP)! The top pulley turns fine and I tried to shake it to see if there was any play and there is none also when turning the shaft it looks straight and true. I am beginning to think that heat did this like you said and a bearing went. Won't get the car back till next Monday but then pics will follow. Looks like the best way to is get ia newer blower and remove the felt lining for hood clearance, I thought with the secondary expansing tank this would not of happened, now wondering if maybe the pump went out for circulation or lost coolant. Will find out when I get the car back. Thanks for the help and I will bounce things with joker. I got the Supercharger from WeaponX so they may sympathize with me and give me a deal on another one. UGH!

Last edited by MrGary2011; 09-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I think you might be overdoing the concern thing. If your upper pulley is "out of round" then it probably just ate the belt. When a belt shreds it gets crap everywhere. Replace the pulley and the belt (and the tensioner if necessary) and keep driving.
The following users liked this post:
MrGary2011 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I think you might be overdoing the concern thing. If your upper pulley is "out of round" then it probably just ate the belt. When a belt shreds it gets crap everywhere. Replace the pulley and the belt (and the tensioner if necessary) and keep driving.
Kinda what I was thinking reading this
MrGary2011 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:41 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Why would the trensioner possibly need replacing?
What would be the tell tail signs of replacement?
Old 09-12-2018, 11:56 AM
16mako
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi just wanted to add my 2cents. I just had a LT4SC put on my Lt1 16 Stingray and purchased all the parts that I thought were needed, including the belt. Turns out I bought the Z06 belt and needed it to be a little longer since the shop had to use the adapter plates for the LT4 SC. Anyway, the shop called and said the belt was to short so I had to purchase a longer belt. Maybe the belt that was put on was the Z06 belt that is to short and it ran until it had enough got hot and shredded? Just a thought that's all. Good luck with recovery.
MrGary2011 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 16mako
Hi just wanted to add my 2cents. I just had a LT4SC put on my Lt1 16 Stingray and purchased all the parts that I thought were needed, including the belt. Turns out I bought the Z06 belt and needed it to be a little longer since the shop had to use the adapter plates for the LT4 SC. Anyway, the shop called and said the belt was to short so I had to purchase a longer belt. Maybe the belt that was put on was the Z06 belt that is to short and it ran until it had enough got hot and shredded? Just a thought that's all. Good luck with recovery.
The same thing happened to me when I dealt with WeaponX they sent out another belt (but with my increase for HP due to bigger fuel Injectors and Z06 Fuel Pump the supercharger pulley wheel was replaced with a smaller one). FYI there is a HD belt that I see some guys going to and have no idea why this would not be the standard way to go, it is easily visible as it is green. I bought one. Just bought the lower pulley that was fuzed with belt material (I suspect it was the culprit in all of this and locked up - even if the dealer thinks the supercharger is bad). I am currently going thru my records to find out which grip tech pulley for the supercharger I need. The standard is a 3.1 inch, I think mine was a 2.7, still researching as I want to order now instead of waiting for next week when the car gets up here for me to look at again.

Last edited by MrGary2011; 09-12-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
Why would the trensioner possibly need replacing?
What would be the tell tail signs of replacement?
I just made that comment based on his description of the tensioner, caked with dried melted belt or locked up for some reason..... It might be fine.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:28 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

May have sucked some thing though the blower check & see if every thing is in tach like filter, filter housing. Some thing may have got lift in the air tub. Thats just my guess.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sammy burks
May have sucked some thing though the blower check & see if every thing is in tach like filter, filter housing. Some thing may have got lift in the air tub. Thats just my guess.
With over 1,000 miles run I don't think this is viable but will add it to my check list.
When I get the car home I will remove snout and check inside and take top cover off to see if anything looks amiss.

A lot of people including WeaponX are pointing to the pulley idler freezing up! It makes sense since the thing is fuzed with belt material and I think when it locked it actually deformed the pulley wheel that sits directly above on the supercharger, the heat generated from the belt heated that pulley and discolored it. In the cut away you can see the pulley wheel that is suspect (right below the supercharger pulley). Anyway plan on inspecting the supercharger as much as I can to look for any anomalies. It looks like if a bearing had gone that the damaged bears would be isolated form the cutaway pic shown.
Now I am dealing with a pissed off wife that says "We don't need Corvette anymore!" Ah RIGHT! Looks like I will have to work on my critical conversation techniques to get her calmed down.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 PM
TheTinMan
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Simple solution is get rid of the wife and enjoy the Corvette. You don't hear the Corvette nagging you about your wife... haha. I'm going to put money on the idler freezing up as well and generating enough heat into the belt to warp the upper pulley as well. It's common in the CTS-V world for the idlers/tensioner pulleys to be garbage and go out quite often.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheTinMan
Simple solution is get rid of the wife and enjoy the Corvette. You don't hear the Corvette nagging you about your wife... haha. I'm going to put money on the idler freezing up as well and generating enough heat into the belt to warp the upper pulley as well. It's common in the CTS-V world for the idlers/tensioner pulleys to be garbage and go out quite often.
Right now I am waiting for WeaponX to assist. I got the car back from Reno and began the find out what happened. Does not look good! I took off the supercharger cover and found both heat exchangers had metal particles attached to them. I looked in the intake thru the upper butterfly and the intake throat and did no see any metal particles and the oil shows no sign of metal contamination (that I can see but 10 quarts probably hides it if there was). I have a feeling this supercharger is toast and I will need a replacement or repair of this one. Just hope I get some kind of break from WeaponX. It for sure is not my fault this thing crapped out as I have been very gentle with it and this was our first (and maybe last if the wife has anything to say) trip. Very frustrated right now!

Last edited by MrGary2011; 09-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 PM
onebad1lE
Instructor

I was correct.
The bearing are bad and that’s what u see inside the intercooler - don’t use older version of blowers and spinn them faster to much heat and they can’t compensate the bearing go out and now u have to get a new blower
I would suggest a 17 and up blower

Look inside the blower inlet at rotors of walls and bearings

Last edited by onebad1lE; 09-17-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

I was correct.
The bearing are bad and that’s what u see inside the intercooler - don’t use older version of blowers and spinn them faster to much heat and they can’t compensate the bearing go out and now u have to get a new blower
I would suggest a 17 and up blower

Look inside the blower inlet at rotors of walls and bearings
Yea, I see replacement is only option! Will the 17 blower fit under the hood?

Last edited by MrGary2011; 09-18-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My LT4 Supercharger on my LT1 Broke? I am sick!

Old 09-18-2018, 02:32 PM
onebad1lE
Instructor

Yes I have one for sale
Old 09-18-2018, 03:39 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Trying to sell my 2017 supercharger, intercooler, pump, etc as well...
Old 09-18-2018, 08:08 PM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Subd

Quick Reply: My LT4 Supercharger on my LT1 Broke? I am sick!