C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Ported LT1 or LT4 cylinder heads - are they worth the money?
Yes, I believe ported heads are worth the money.
40.91%
No, I don't believe ported heads are worth the money.
18.18%
I have no clue, but I'm here to learn!
40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

WEAPON-X Tech Thread: Ported Heads - worth it or na?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default WEAPON-X Tech Thread: Ported Heads - worth it or na?

So, before we delve into this with factual data, I am curious to see what the community's thoughts are as far as porting the heads. I'm compiling a few builds right now to lay it all out. I have heard a lot of guys say head porting nets very little, but we also all know there is a vast difference between power under the curve and peak power.

Any head porter will tell you that CFM is for suckers as there are a lot of factors that come into play with ported heads that cannot be measured on a flow bench, such as port velocity and timing.

Any good head porter will also tell you that the LT1 and LT4 heads suffer from severe core shift and I can affirm this first hand after seeing multiple sets of CNC'ed heads from a very popular engine builder that still had the OEM casting in portions of the walls.

So, anyone buying heads that aren't hand finished, is likely leaving power on the table to begin with as these places offering cheap CNC heads are doing so for a reason

So, I'll start off with a poll while I finish compiling this!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:20 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Worth it every time, no matter how much boost you use. The end result will be a drop in boost pressure but an increase in power output. An all around happier engine
For N/A, you can go overboard with flow at the cost of port velocity, affecting the ports ability to fill the cylinder.

John

Last edited by JHEBERT; 09-04-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:46 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

^^^^ what he said here.. Robert
The following users liked this post:
JHEBERT (09-04-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Ported Head Results

To bump this up, here is the validation of our stage 2 ported heads worth their money with approximately a 50whp swing. These two Whipple LT engines both have forged pistons, the same compression, the same cam, the same trans and gear ratio, same e70ish pump gas, and the ported head car has the same power nearly 500 RPMs sooner or 50whp more at any given RPM up until the shift point where they meet back up. I found this pretty interesting Our head porter used to work for/with GM having helped develop the LS7 head for example and to this day, he has always knocked it out of the park for us with his CNC ports and hand finishing. He is the first to say CFM is for suckers LOL as the port design, valve job, and hand blending is how to get the power!

WEAPON-X Ported Stage 2 Heads:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...nt=37648767697

Get notified of new replies

To WEAPON-X Tech Thread: Ported Heads - worth it or na?

Quick Reply: WEAPON-X Tech Thread: Ported Heads - worth it or na?