Can't make up my mind - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't make up my mind

Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 AM
  #1  
Chazzmania
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Chazzmania's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 317
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default Can't make up my mind

Hi Guys,

So I have been trying to decide what route to go with the build on my 2016 Z51. I have been looking at the ECS, A&A, Procharger, and Whipple kits. I have two buddies that had the Procharger kits installed on their Grandsports. One has a serious build with drop in pistons, z06 injectors, and the other regular stuff. His car is making about 680whip and its a blast to drive. I am just trying to see what's the best right to go. I don't drive my car all the time maybe once or twice thru the week and maybe a few days on the weekend. I have also been interested in the Whipple's just curious of how much power I can pull out of them with support mods. Right now I have KooKs LT's with catless mid-pipe, MSD intake manifold, Halltech CAI, and a Katech TB. I want to make 700whp-800whp if possible. I live in Hawaii we currently only have 92 octane. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.
Chazzmania is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 AM
  #2  
Joshinator99
Junior Member
 
Joshinator99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: Petersham, MA
Posts: 45
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Just my opinion, but the Maggie/Whipple/LT4 installs are a great way to go for a car that is predominantly street driven. OEM looks, fit & finish, and dynamite street torque. If I was doing more drag racing and wanted to go over 800 WHP I would do a Procharger F1A-94 and not look back.
Joshinator99 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Joshinator99 For This Useful Post:
Chazzmania (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM
  #3  
C5-VERT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
C5-VERT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 5,123
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Just my opinion, but the Maggie/Whipple/LT4 installs are a great way to go for a car that is predominantly street driven. OEM looks, fit & finish, and dynamite street torque. If I was doing more drag racing and wanted to go over 800 WHP I would do a Procharger F1A-94 and not look back.
F1A-94 (headers, etc) myself with G1Pro Intake using Crawford Racing Holley 2.0 port injection system and a precision wastegate to control boost (want to go with a 3.8" pulley eventually and pull boost out up top when NOT running ethanol). Chris at Crawford Racing is incredible and responsible for tuning some of the fastest cars on here. We aren't even done with mine yet and it's doing 60 to 145 in 6.2 seconds which isn't half bad. Just got the car together a month ago no dyno numbers yet but soon!

Honestly just know going over 750 wheel or so especially if you are wanting to run ethanol you will need a good secondary low side. The stock fuel pump won't keep up. Then to hit bigger numbers it's either methanol or port injection I chose the latter and love it. Just a lot of moving parts getting the fuel system perfected that was by far the most complex part doing my personal build, putting on a procharger was a piece of cake. If I wasn't shooting for HUGE numbers and really just street driving 2300 is a nice choice OR heads/cam.
C5-VERT is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to C5-VERT For This Useful Post:
Chazzmania (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:52 PM
  #4  
timmyZ06
CF Senior Member
 
timmyZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 5,281
Thanked 190 Times in 165 Posts
Default

I had a centri GS, didnt really enjoyed the centri power on the street. If you are not looking to race like crazy and doing 160 + highway pulls, PD blower are twice as much fun on the street!! I would do PD blow, N/A built and lastly centri supercharge A&A or ECS would be my VERY last choice!!
timmyZ06 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to timmyZ06 For This Useful Post:
Chazzmania (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:55 PM
  #5  
C5-VERT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
C5-VERT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 5,123
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default

Timmy what size centri did you run? Curious with your stock compression ratio it should have some nice torque over what the same setup on a lower compression Z would have. I welcomed the drop in torque way down low all it did was spin for me. Moving the torque and power up in the rpm band in my opinion made my Z much easier to launch and control down low. Course hard to control anything over 900+ hp once my F1A-94 comes in hard around 3200 it's on! Love it! But you are correct to each his own it TOTALLY depends on what YOU expect in torque and horsepower and when it comes in the rpm band.
C5-VERT is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 PM
  #6  
Chazzmania
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Chazzmania's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 317
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Thanks guys for the comments
Chazzmania is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 AM
  #7  
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
DOUG @ ECS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Posts: 22,632
Thanked 337 Times in 285 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by timmyZ06 View Post
I had a centri GS, didnt really enjoyed the centri power on the street. If you are not looking to race like crazy and doing 160 + highway pulls, PD blower are twice as much fun on the street!! I would do PD blow, N/A built and lastly centri supercharge A&A or ECS would be my VERY last choice!!
Well that's literally a first. Centri's are so well suited for the Vettes, perfect driving manors while off boost, an animal on boost. I love roots blowers but only on heavy cars and trucks, not because we make a centri kit, because that's really my personal opinion. I was having dinner with one of our distributors this weekend at the PRI trade show and I think he summed it up best when he said "roots blowers make it feel fast, centri blowers actually makes it fast." Being that the ECS kit has the most TQ of any centri kit on the market it's really the best of both worlds. To each his own though.
DOUG @ ECS is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:33 PM
  #8  
samwint77
CF Member
 
samwint77's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 84
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chazzmania View Post
Hi Guys,

So I have been trying to decide what route to go with the build on my 2016 Z51. I have been looking at the ECS, A&A, Procharger, and Whipple kits. I have two buddies that had the Procharger kits installed on their Grandsports. One has a serious build with drop in pistons, z06 injectors, and the other regular stuff. His car is making about 680whip and its a blast to drive. I am just trying to see what's the best right to go. I don't drive my car all the time maybe once or twice thru the week and maybe a few days on the weekend. I have also been interested in the Whipple's just curious of how much power I can pull out of them with support mods. Right now I have KooKs LT's with catless mid-pipe, MSD intake manifold, Halltech CAI, and a Katech TB. I want to make 700whp-800whp if possible. I live in Hawaii we currently only have 92 octane. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.
I notice that your bottom end is still stock. You'll be limited to about 600 whp until you build that. I choose to go with the maggy heartbeat 2300. Reason being they have less parasitic loss due to the internal bypass valve, and they provide more instant torque. For a daily driver I just think its better so you don't have to run way into the revs to enjoy the power. Everybody has what they like though. It took me about 8 months to finally make up my mind. My build will begin at the end of the month. Just waiting on the shop to clear some cars out. Also the whipples require additional fuel mods. The 2.9 L is a beast.
samwint77 is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM
  #9  
MRSUPRA
CF Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 97
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I recently bought a C6 Grand Sport with an ECS supercharger/headers/meth/cam 700rwhp. I was worried about the lack of low RPM torque and only making full boost at redline. Well, no worries anymore. This car is crazy responsive and a blast to drive, has so much power at 2K+ rpms that the car is hard to control in the first 3 gears. Much more low rpm torque than my twin turbo 5.0 mustang.. No regrets at all, and would choose a centri for future corvettes.
MRSUPRA is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MRSUPRA For This Useful Post:
DOUG @ ECS (12-11-2018)


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't make up my mind


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: