C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Fuel System and Cam limitations- hp ceiling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Stock Fuel System and Cam limitations- hp ceiling?

So the ZR1 makes 755 hp and I see a few tuners cranking out quite a bit more already with them. Most of the baseline ZR1 power levels that I have seen range from 640-670 as a result of the LT5 cam profile, a larger blower, and port injection for 91-93 octane. Is that all it takes with a Z06 is to swap the cam, blower, and add port injection to get to those power levels without adding meth and E?

Trying to learn more about this as I see the stock 1.7 setups making around 700/750 at the rear, using meth, E. It looks like to get more power a cam change and fuel system upgrades are required.

Example if one was to add a Whipple 2.9 L or wait for the new Maggie to come out, what else would need to be done to support lets say 750-800 whp without adding meth or E, or is that possible? What about just E or just Meth, but not both?

Trying to learn more about what it takes or where the hp ceiling is using pump gas or with combination of E. I have experience from prior setups using Torco (worked good) and 100 octane when I had my TT setup tuned at 18# boost and it made 850 whp, I also used Meth with pump gas on my LPE 427 TVS 2300 CTS-V, that engine was 9:1 CR though. My only hang up I guess with Meth is that Magnusson wouldn't warranty the TVS 2300 blower because I was spraying Meth in front of it and they claimed it was corrosive to the blower parts.

I want to avoid that as much as possible but not completely opposed to using Meth as it does work, just becomes an extra consumable.

To clarify my question(s).

What other mods are needed to run Maggie 2300 or Whipple, north of 700 whp? At what point is the camshaft and fuel system a problem...especially if wanting to combine with E, and then lastly adding Meth?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I have F1A-94 with headers and meth. Last year , before fuel and cam upgrade , the car made 766 rwhp and 616 lb ft of torque on 91 octane. Fuel was maxed out .
This year I went for cam and fuel system up grade , also put a bigger crank pulley on to spin the blower for more boost . Results were 862 rwhp and a staggering 834 lb ft of torque . Only problem was.....we reached the fuel limit again .I guess if I really want to push the car for max hp , port injection would be the next upgrade . So I guess to answer your question , yes , cam and low side fuel upgrade will get you higher
Old 12-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

ethanol lowers the capacity of your fuel system.
The following users liked this post:
Shinobi'sZ (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:07 PM
USMCMICHZ06
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car made 920/730 with a cam and meth with no low side before going off to Vengeance. On my new build, I added low side and am making a bit more power but I do believe that Vengeance just did a similar build (900+ wheel) with no low side, just cam and meth.

Last edited by USMCMICHZ06; 12-16-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Dyno numbers will vary for many reasons... Dont get hung up on them! There's not many 900whp cars out there with out a low side. These such cars should post some slips with MPH.

if you're against meth you will need a low side system. If you plan on running e85 again you will need a lowside as its more taxing on your fuel system. If i could do it all over it would just be a port injection set up and be done with it. But they werent out yet when I took my plunge. Cam, low side and meth has me at 920whp thats with meth and e85. On 93 pump the car is around 860whp. With out the lowside the car was starving at roughly 750whp, that was with the cam.

Youre doing your homework which is good, plenty of good options out there now from forced induction kits to fuel mods. Def figure out the end game and do it right the first go around. Will save you time money and a lot of heartache. And more money!
Shinobi'sZ (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

To the OP. Port injection on top of direct injection is the key here. You don't "need" meth at all if you can add / have port injection on top. It's more of a want than a need. Port injection on the C7 opens the doors to a full ethanol setup with or without a cam with different fuel lobe profile, etc.

If you don't have port injection that's where you have to play with a E blend and have meth as a additional fuel source to help the DI injectors. You also need a secondary low side fuel system (just like you do for port injection) to assist the high side from falling off.

Port injection is where it's at for just a future proof fueling scenario. Thats why the ZR1 has both

Last edited by C7&7; 12-17-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Shinobi'sZ (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
Dyno numbers will vary for many reasons... Dont get hung up on them! There's not many 900whp cars out there with out a low side. These such cars should post some slips with MPH.

if you're against meth you will need a low side system. If you plan on running e85 again you will need a lowside as its more taxing on your fuel system. If i could do it all over it would just be a port injection set up and be done with it. But they werent out yet when I took my plunge. Cam, low side and meth has me at 920whp thats with meth and e85. On 93 pump the car is around 860whp. With out the lowside the car was starving at roughly 750whp, that was with the cam.

Youre doing your homework which is good, plenty of good options out there now from forced induction kits to fuel mods. Def figure out the end game and do it right the first go around. Will save you time money and a lot of heartache. And more money!
Thanks for approaching if from the perspective if you had to do it all over again. It's nice to hear it from that perspective as new products are available.

Originally Posted by C7&7
To the OP. Port injection on top of direct injection is the key here. You don't "need" meth at all if you can add / have port injection on top. It's more of a want than a need. Port injection on the C7 opens the doors to a full ethanol setup with or without a cam with different fuel lobe profile, etc.

If you don't have port injection that's where you have to play with a E blend and have meth as a additional fuel source to help the DI injectors. You also need a secondary low side fuel system (just like you do for port injection) to assist the high side from falling off.

Port injection is where it's at for just a future proof fueling scenario. Thats why the ZR1 has both
Thanks for confirming a piece of the equation that I was looking for. I keep waiting to see what Crawford's LT5 Z06 kits look like but don't see them posted on their site yet.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:51 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Thanks for approaching if from the perspective if you had to do it all over again. It's nice to hear it from that perspective as new products are available.

Thanks for confirming a piece of the equation that I was looking for. I keep waiting to see what Crawford's LT5 Z06 kits look like but don't see them posted on their site yet.
Anytime!

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Fuel System and Cam limitations- hp ceiling?

Quick Reply: Stock Fuel System and Cam limitations- hp ceiling?