C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 Supercharger installed on LT1?

Old 02-20-2019, 02:28 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchZ51
Why mess with all that? Bottom line, the Camaro blower pulley spacing IS different and won’t work. Get the correct Z06 blower that lines up properly and move on.
Because I have a Camaro blower. I can either fix it, or sell it and buy a Corvette blower. Looking at options. I also figured that a dialog here could help others who might find themselves in a similar situation.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Just swap the front face then.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruce_K
Just swap the front face then.
yes. That is ideal if we can find a Corvette snout, it will be easy. However, GM doesn’t sell them as stand alone products. Hopefully I can find one.

The other her option is to potentially use a custom pulley that goes over the snout...returning to stock Z06 alignment.

update: I am buying a ported lt4 blower and swapping my Camaro LT4 blower...everything is working out.

Last edited by hogurt; 02-23-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:58 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

All I can tell you is that you need to be getting the correct type (wet vs. dry). I got the wrong Supercharger and had to sell it. The snouts are not simply interchangeable as the guts are different and the geometry of the internal linking from pulley to bearings is different. I took them apart think I could just swap. If you have a wet sump (non Z-51) then I would think the Camaro LT4 blower would fit but you need to do you home work on getting the correct brackets and balancer. I do not think you can go dry sump LT4 supercharger (which if it says "CORVETTE" on the cover it is) to a wet sump Corvette. Never looked at that. Sure they guys are right and the forum can assist. Anything is possible! I wound up finding this bored out ported to 103 mm custom painted on and here is a pic during install. Best of luck! You will love it.

Last edited by MrGary2011; 03-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:48 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
All I can tell you is that you need to be getting the correct type (wet vs. dry). I got the wrong Supercharger and had to sell it. The snouts are not simply interchangeable as the guts are different and the geometry of the internal linking from pulley to bearings is different. I took them apart think I could just swap. If you have a wet sump (non Z-51) then I would think the Camaro LT4 blower would fit but you need to do you home work on getting the correct brackets and balancer. I do not think you can go dry sump LT4 supercharger (which if it says "CORVETTE" on the cover it is) to a wet sump Corvette. Never looked at that. Sure they guys are right and the forum can assist. Anything is possible! I wound up finding this bored out ported to 103 mm custom painted on and here is a pic during install. Best of luck! You will love it.
There is no such thing as a Corvette dry sump or wet sump supercharger. The Corvette supercharger is made for the dry sump Z06 period. To make the supercharger work on the wet sump car, you need to have a spacer and the right balancer/supercharger pulley to make the alignment right.

if you are talking about the Camaro supercharger, that is for a wet sump ZL1. But the only difference is the snout. The supercharger itself is exactly the same.

Internally, there is a difference in that the newer supercharger has the angled bricks and the older has flat bricks. They are interchangeable in that you can take the flat bricks and swap them to the lay down configuration. We did that so that my blower will fit under the stock corvette hood with no modifications.

Other than the snout, I was told the LT4 blowers are interchangeable. Also, on the newer model the snout is just a bolt-on swap (not true for older model).
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hogurt
There is no such thing as a Corvette dry sump or wet sump supercharger. The Corvette supercharger is made for the dry sump Z06 period. To make the supercharger work on the wet sump car, you need to have a spacer and the right balancer/supercharger pulley to make the alignment right.

Agree, what happens is you search and come up with LT4 and get the mix as the wet sump is the one installed on the Camaro and Cadillac.

if you are talking about the Camaro supercharger, that is for a wet sump ZL1. But the only difference is the snout. The supercharger itself is exactly the same.

Internally, there is a difference in that the newer supercharger has the angled bricks and the older has flat bricks. They are interchangeable in that you can take the flat bricks and swap them to the lay down configuration. We did that so that my blower will fit under the stock corvette hood with no modifications.

What is the cost involved to change them out? Also, you're saying you can keep the same top cover?
I have seen several Corvettes with the newer Supercharger with bigger bricks and it fits under existing hood (most just remove the liner). I am happy with the setup I have.

Other than the snout, I was told the LT4 blowers are interchangeable. Also, on the newer model the snout is just a bolt-on swap (not true for older model).
Interesting, too bad as I had a brand new wet Sump type with the big bricks and it was sweet. But my older Corvette Supercharger would not directly swap. I was pissed off. All worked out but was a pain in the ***. I suspect other get on E Bay and purchase the "LT4 Supercharger" for the amaro/Cadillac and run into the same issues I had

Last edited by MrGary2011; 03-03-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hogurt
yes. That is ideal if we can find a Corvette snout, it will be easy. However, GM doesn’t sell them as stand alone products. Hopefully I can find one.

The other her option is to potentially use a custom pulley that goes over the snout...returning to stock Z06 alignment.

update: I am buying a ported lt4 blower and swapping my Camaro LT4 blower...everything is working out.
Guys in the past have had to use spacers and a different damper even when using the dry sump Supercharger. At any rate the wet sump engine is more challenging but it has been done.
T/A Kid did his, search his thread for some more insight.

On another note I thank you for posting this as it does bring attention to researching everything out and being careful on what you buy. I wish I had seen this last Sept. when I went shopping for a Supercharger and wound up loosing 600 bucks between buy and sell because I got the one for Camaro wet sumps. It worked out as I got a much better unit bored and ported completely and set up for a 103mm throttle body. There were some very frustrating days at my house and the wife did not help in my painful experience. All is well now.

Last edited by MrGary2011; 03-03-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:16 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
Guys in the past have had to use spacers and a different damper even when using the dry sump Supercharger. At any rate the wet sump engine is more challenging but it has been done.
T/A Kid did his, search his thread for some more insight.

On another note I thank you for posting this as it does bring attention to researching everything out and being careful on what you buy. I wish I had seen this last Sept. when I went shopping for a Supercharger and wound up loosing 600 bucks between buy and sell because I got the one for Camaro wet sumps. It worked out as I got a much better unit bored and ported completely and set up for a 103mm throttle body. There were some very frustrating days at my house and the wife did not help in my painful experience. All is well now.

Believe me, I understand completely. I found a way to make the Camaro SC work on the Corvette, but it's completely not worth it. It requires one of two options:
1. If you have the newer LT4 Camaro blower, the snout is simply bolted on. You can simply get a Corvette snout which will bring the pulley back to the Corvette belt line.
2. You could get a new pulley. The pulley would essentially slide over the snout, but will require modification of the snout to allow the pulley to slide back far enough. This will again, allow the pulley to get back to the Corvette belt line.

I took a similar path as I picked up a ported snout/intake from Jokerz and he took the unported Camaro blower. I do have to figure out which lower pulley I am going to get. I think the 5% lower pulley might be the same size as stock, right?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 PM
Barrett Xiong
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the distinction between wet and dry sump is substantial here I think.

On the other hand, the 15' Z06s are known with overheating, how does fitting LT4 on Stingrays get around with the heat issues?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrett Xiong

On the other hand, the 15' Z06s are known with overheating, how does fitting LT4 on Stingrays get around with the heat issues?
Expansion tanks. Like most z06 owners run.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:14 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barrett Xiong

it probably depends on goals. I am adding a cam and e85 with the Lt4 hpfp and injectors. The Vette is my daily driver so I don’t expect that overheating is an issue for regular driving with the occasional hit. I won’t be tracking the Vette.

Hopefully, I am getting into the shop soon...it was supposed to be in a few months ago...then we ran into scheduling issues with all of my travel.

Should have results over the next 3-4weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT4 Supercharger installed on LT1?