C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS on the road course?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Default ECS on the road course?

Hello all. I'm trying to find a reason of not going heads and cam route in my GS. This car is a daily and sees at least 10 HPDE events in the summer. I am wondering if anyone has tracked their car with the base ECS kit. My main concern is coolant and oil temps. I have heard the new trans cooler is really good and the IC doesn't block any flow through the grill. Going the supercharger route is easier and I can sell the kit when I sell the car. Plus it would be easier to sell or trade in.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Hello all. I'm trying to find a reason of not going heads and cam route in my GS. This car is a daily and sees at least 10 HPDE events in the summer. I am wondering if anyone has tracked their car with the base ECS kit. My main concern is coolant and oil temps. I have heard the new trans cooler is really good and the IC doesn't block any flow through the grill. Going the supercharger route is easier and I can sell the kit when I sell the car. Plus it would be easier to sell or trade in.

Thanks.
There have been several guys on here who have tracked their ECS kit on the road course with good results. That was the main reason for the intercooler design actually.

Some of the more hardcore guys have increased the size of the oil cooler though, hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
There have been several guys on here who have tracked their ECS kit on the road course with good results. That was the main reason for the intercooler design actually.

Some of the more hardcore guys have increased the size of the oil cooler though, hope that helps.
yes. You can track a supercharged car, it will do better than a z06 with the same cooling. I've tracked my procharger car extensively but now that i'm really pushing the car, I plan on adding an external oil cooler.

other than overheating on days >90 degrees (and this is like at the 15-20 minute mark, just take 1 easy lap and its good to go). My car has seen 2 burned spark plug wires in 3 years of being procharged and tracked.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-04-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:51 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
yes. You can track a supercharged car, it will do better than a z06 with the same cooling. I've tracked my procharger car extensively but now that i'm really pushing the car, I plan on adding an external oil cooler.

other than overheating on days >90 degrees (and this is like at the 15-20 minute mark, just take 1 easy lap and its good to go). My car has seen 2 burned spark plug wires in 3 years of being procharged and tracked.
Don't do like me ensure you get a good catch can before you road course it heavy. I had heavy blowby and oil loss through my front seal and pdv fittings. Mightmouse installed now seems to do the trick.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:01 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
Don't do like me ensure you get a good catch can before you road course it heavy. I had heavy blowby and oil loss through my front seal and pdv fittings. Mightmouse installed now seems to do the trick.
I have a catch can and breather but it doesn't catch anything. I also don't overfill my oil.

3 years of heavy road course use... No oil in the TB.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Thanks for the response.

It's hard not going this route especially with the ECS kit. GM made heads and cam swaps so damn complicated that most people dont bother. I've done many on LS cars and have no desire to do it on a C7.

I only overfilled half the recommended just to monitor consumption and it seems my car doesn't consume any at this point. I'll do more monitoring when the season starts again. The amount that is added is pretty miniscule when you compare to the total quantity.

More input is always welcomed.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the response.

It's hard not going this route especially with the ECS kit. GM made heads and cam swaps so damn complicated that most people dont bother. I've done many on LS cars and have no desire to do it on a C7.

I only overfilled half the recommended just to monitor consumption and it seems my car doesn't consume any at this point. I'll do more monitoring when the season starts again. The amount that is added is pretty miniscule when you compare to the total quantity.

More input is always welcomed.
i fill my oil to the full dot on the dip stick. its still there at next oil change.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have a catch can and breather but it doesn't catch anything. I also don't overfill my oil.

3 years of heavy road course use... No oil in the TB.
It's more about venting crankcase pressure so you don't blow the weak LT front cranckcase seal, which is quite common. But that's great glad you are setup. David at MMS set me up with a road race catch can system specifically for long duration racing.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:47 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

It's more about venting crankcase pressure so you don't blow the weak LT front cranckcase seal, which is quite common. But that's great glad you are setup. David at MMS set me up with a road race catch can system specifically for long duration racing.
Unlike you I'm only pushing 8 psi boost Max and 570 rwhp so that helps.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:58 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,146 Likes on 5,983 Posts

As a 20 year instructor/racer I would never want an aftermarket H/C or supercharged car for track use. ECS makes a great product but end of the day it's extra weight and heat and parts/complexity. If you can't be HPDE Champ with 460 horse pick another hobby. My $0.02.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
As a 20 year instructor/racer I would never want an aftermarket H/C or supercharged car for track use. ECS makes a great product but end of the day it's extra weight and heat and parts/complexity. If you can't be HPDE Champ with 460 horse pick another hobby. My $0.02.
That's when a dual purpose car comes in. I can beat z06s on a 1/2 mile event or highway encounter and also track the car at HDPEs, and take it to dinner. Unless I'm running time trials, no needs to be a stripper car.

I'm 1 oil cooler shy of being able to run the car without worrying about temps at all.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-05-2019 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Not sure what your trying to say here. Sounds to me like Z06s should not be tracked??? Or anything with more than 460 HP? ?? You should tell the world that so many are doing it wrong and that you are a "Champ" with "only" 460HP.

Last edited by Oh4GTO; 03-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:45 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure what your trying to say here. Sounds to me like Z06s should not be tracked??? Or anything with more than 460 HP? ?? Thanks for your unsolicited advice.
Wasn't unsolicited. He answered exactly what you asked.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Wasn't unsolicited. He answered exactly what you asked.
He just gave an opinion. Theres lots of those around here especially when not asked for.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:45 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I had Autocross friends make the same kind of comments when I supercharged my car and that the power will be unusable and I’m dumb. Amazingly the car is driven on the street 98% of the time so I make decisions based on what will be fun overall.... and I didn’t have to find a new hobby!!

Last edited by SK360; 03-05-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:09 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Unlike you I'm only pushing 8 psi boost Max and 570 rwhp so that helps.
Sure does, same reason I am using a 46mm Precision Wastegate with my CRFueler Holley 2.0 system to do boost by gear pulling boost out top end for road course duty to lower my power level and increase reliability. Best of luck to ya at the track!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

Thank you for the compliment and I respect your opinion. Also as a 20yr+- instructor racer though I would say there is some room for debate there. Yes in a situation where the car is stock besides the HP I agree, but I have been on course with a 1000RWHP C6Z that had full areo, great suspension, wide body Loma kit with the wheels to match etc etc etc, and I swear it was like I playing the video game Spy Hunter. I passed every darn car there so fast it was like they weren't even trying. Knowing most of the other drivers on course that day in my group, they are very experienced racers to say the least, the car was the topic of discussion for most of the day.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (03-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To ECS on the road course?

Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Not sure what your trying to say here. Sounds to me like Z06s should not be tracked??? Or anything with more than 460 HP? ?? You should tell the world that so many are doing it wrong and that you are a "Champ" with "only" 460HP.
Z06s can only take about 10-15 minutes hard running in the summer. They don't do very well w/o lots of massaging. There's a reason they went to twin side mount coolers on the ZR1.

My point is there are people who spend their time driving their car on track and there are people who spend their time fiddle-******* around in the paddock fixing things or having weekends end short. By in large it's the OEM stock cars running around w/o issue and the modded cars that end up on the trailer early.

Do what you want... if it's an all around "fun" car that you take to the track 2X a year, but like drag racing and doing highway pulls then yes, you can track an aftermarket supercharged car. If you're going to be doing 5-10 HPDE weekends a year I would avoid a supercharger, just my $0.02.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:50 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SK360
I had Autocross friends make the same kind of comments when I supercharged my car and that the power will be unusable and I’m dumb. Amazingly the car is driven on the street 98% of the time so I make decisions based on what will be fun overall.... and I didn’t have to find a new hobby!!
For 98%/2% Street/auto-X I would 100% agree with you. Plus Auto-X puts none of the thermal loads on the car that a 30-40 minute HPDE does in the summer.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Sure does, same reason I am using a 46mm Precision Wastegate with my CRFueler Holley 2.0 system to do boost by gear pulling boost out top end for road course duty to lower my power level and increase reliability. Best of luck to ya at the track!
Very smart. Using a wastegate is a fantastic way to lower boost for the track.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-06-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECS on the road course?