C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What plugs for 1000hp and beyond?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by FYREANT
i’m still using my NGK 6510’s gapped at .025
I didn't believe you were supposed to alter the gap on fine tip iridium's?? Does NGK have copper tip plugs one to two heat ranges colder than stock for LT4s?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
I didn't believe you were supposed to alter the gap on fine tip iridium's?? Does NGK have copper tip plugs one to two heat ranges colder than stock for LT4s?
altering the tip isn’t a problem, its making sure that if you go too small and have to widen the gap you do not touch the tip itself to use as a pry point. I’ve not looked ar what other options NGK has since the 6510’s work fine for me
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-15-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:03 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

altering the tip isn’t a problem, its making sure that if you go too small and have to widen the gap you do not touch the tip itself to use as a pry point. I’ve not looked ar what other options NGK has since the 6510’s work fine for me
You sticking with those with your new build? They are one step colder? Not familiar with NGK numbers on LT platforms enough. And I get it and agree I use a nice feeler gauge with the tip tool so instead of old coin style which you had to pry against the tip. Not good on iridium fine tips. I have ALL my plugs 100% gapped perfectly going to report back on any issues. I have a major track event at Daytona Speedway April 4/5 so I am trying to get this car as set as possible.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

You sticking with those with your new build? They are one step colder? Not familiar with NGK numbers on LT platforms enough. And I get it and agree I use a nice feeler gauge with the tip tool so instead of old coin style which you had to pry against the tip. Not good on iridium fine tips. I have ALL my plugs 100% gapped perfectly going to report back on any issues. I have a major track event at Daytona Speedway April 4/5 so I am trying to get this car as set as possible.
These plugs have held up well for me so I’m gonna stick with them. I’m only hitting 18-19 psi so for now they aren’t getting blown out that I can tell..
Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

These plugs have held up well for me so I’m gonna stick with them. I’m only hitting 18-19 psi so for now they aren’t getting blown out that I can tell..
I may switch I am literally on the fence. Today the car is running VERY well now that they are gapped to .25. I haven't got on it hard I am working some secondary fuel issues out now my holley system isn't supplying 12v anymore to my secondary fuel relay so I am now diagnosing that problem. But it's driving and idling perfectly. And it's never idled this smooth EVER since I did this large build. That's saying something for me. 600 RPM and nearly perfect no surging just sits there like a clock.
The following 3 users liked this post by C5-VERT:
FYREANT (03-13-2019), Mikec7z (03-15-2019), robert miller (03-16-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 AM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I may switch I am literally on the fence. Today the car is running VERY well now that they are gapped to .25. I haven't got on it hard I am working some secondary fuel issues out now my holley system isn't supplying 12v anymore to my secondary fuel relay so I am now diagnosing that problem. But it's driving and idling perfectly. And it's never idled this smooth EVER since I did this large build. That's saying something for me. 600 RPM and nearly perfect no surging just sits there like a clock.
Check either the ground wire or the positive wire that connects to the bus terminals under the fuse box..ask me how I know..lol
Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I think it was a lean condition causing plugs to get too hot. Working with Chris Crawford we figured out the Holley Port Injection output for my secondary fuel pump quit working. Strange of course. Still working that issue but time being I put my old fashioned Hobbs switch in at 4-7psi to complete the power circuit and kick on my secondary fuel pump. Fuel pressure before was going from 80 down to 38 psi, not good. Now it's 80 - 82 rock solid even top of 4th hard pull. I will report back to let everyone know if it's solved.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:47 PM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I've just stumbled upon the Brisk Premium Multi-Spark plugs that have no ground strap and therefore no gapping needed. They apparently spark 3 times per ignition pulse giving a more complete burn. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I wouldn't do much if you do only do ONE think at a time buddy if she is running smooth at 600 rpm I really dont see her doing any better for sure this is at the low side of the RPM range at all.. But I would do the diff plug after you get the 12 volts worked out & then do a few WOT like that to see what she does.

The trick to this **** is just playing around with them ONE little chg at a time if it dont work go back & then try something else to get her to what it should be working at to rwhp to weight to time on the track.. Good luck on her on the next month track day.. Robert
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by robert miller
I wouldn't do much if you do only do ONE think at a time buddy if she is running smooth at 600 rpm I really dont see her doing any better for sure this is at the low side of the RPM range at all.. But I would do the diff plug after you get the 12 volts worked out & then do a few WOT like that to see what she does.

The trick to this **** is just playing around with them ONE little chg at a time if it dont work go back & then try something else to get her to what it should be working at to rwhp to weight to time on the track.. Good luck on her on the next month track day.. Robert
Great advice Robert this time crunch for Daytona is killing me I don't like having gremlins this late in the game. I was hoping to have my car dyno'd by the event but that's looking slim. Chris Crawford and I found the issue the Holley output for secondary fuel pump is either going bad or there is something beyond us. We even tried the PWM output that was setup for my external wasategate and it was only putting out like 2.5 volts not the normal 12v. I have a big relay with 8 gauge direct from battery for my secondary pump so the Holley output is only the trigger wire (it's rated at 2.0 amps @ 12VDC). My secondary fuel pump wasn't coming online at all my fuel pressure was falling off up top causing tons of misfires and I do believe taking the tips off my two Brisk plugs. I didn't drive it hard thank God and also thankful these forged LT4 engine blocks are stout otherwise who knows. So I ended up throwing my NOS Hobbs switch in which triggers my secondary fuel pump @ 7psi kicking my relay on. And boy oh boy that did it!! The care woke up big time top end which isn't really a surprise but for now the Holley controlling my secondary pump is out of the equation. I liked it b/c I could use throttle position, rpm, and boost, versus a static 7psi Hobbs switch. But the Hobbs is simple and sometimes simple is best especially when I am just trying to get all these plug issues figured out. May have to get a replacement Holley ECU that is TBT. Either way I want that working it cost me an arm and a leg! :-)

I get a new windshield put in tomorrow (rock hit it) so I will report back if the secondary fuel pump being fixed took care of my Brisk plug issue.

Thanks buddy!
Old 03-17-2019, 03:14 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by jimxms
I've just stumbled upon the Brisk Premium Multi-Spark plugs that have no ground strap and therefore no gapping needed. They apparently spark 3 times per ignition pulse giving a more complete burn. Does anyone have any experience with these?
I am skeptical of those I see on their site it says only for "mildly supercharged" that takes me out. Either way some record breaking C7's and Z06's are using Brisk Silvers they are much more proven and the reason I chose them. I think my issue was solely due to lack of fuel running a little lean (High Pressure Fuel pump still held 3600psi but low pressure dropped to 40psi up top). Plugs got too hot took two of the tips off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What plugs for 1000hp and beyond?