C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many of You "08 Buyers are Planning on a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by anders1118
Not to offend anyone, but I don't know why these types of questions get asked. There is no point.
Which questions?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I definitely have no plans to buy a 2008 and as far as a C7 goes....I'll have to wait to see what it looks like and what makes it tick. I hope it's as impressive a change and improvement as the C6 was from the C5 but one never knows until it's out.

Based on my experience with a late model year 2005 C6 (and assuming the C7 is desirable) I would have no hesitation to buy a first year model C7. Certainly minor improvements are ongoing with each year but my 2005 has been exceptionally reliable and trouble-free (as most 2005 owners consider their cars to be).

Let's all hope the C7 lives-up to our expectations and here's to enjoying our great C6's until then.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Not to offend anyone, but I don't know why these types of questions get asked. There is no point.
No offense is ever taken and we will eventually come to a point but not before we explore all rumors and then beat the livin hell out of them
Old 05-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure GM will be able to continue increasing power in Corvette without becoming emissions illegal. After all, production is only about 35,000 cars per year. The problem is, they must keep selling those 35,000 cars for the assembly plant to stay in operation. Most Corvettes are not sold to performance nuts like us, they are sold to people who just like to cruise in a affordable, great looking, performance car with the aura of Corvette. The question that arises in my mind is how many horsepower is too much for the market base? If Z06 power would become standard, how many cars would be crashed because the driver was not attuned to handle all the power available by just depressing the right foot?

I believe most of us here are more aware of the dangers of high horsepower than the average Corvette driver and have the capability to stay out of trouble with a little common sense. Also the car has great braking along with traction control and active handling, which go a long way in making the car safer. But those features only go so far in protecting the uninitiated driver, if that driver is not fully aware of the trouble he or she can get into. I believe there is a point where Corvette horsepower will stall because of the type of buyer that keeps sales at the 35,000 level.

When power related crashes start to increase significantly on insurance company radar screens, I believe we will have reached the high-water mark in Corvette horsepower. I have a feeling we are getting close to that level and believe insurance will have a greater impact on the direction of Corvette power increases than emissions or mileage standards will.

When combining insurance liability, increases in emissions and mileage standards, gas price increases and availability; future significant horsepower increases are beginning to look somewhat iffy. These aren’t pleasant thoughts, so lets forget them for now and focus on what the C7 is going to bring to the table. Realistically though, I don’t believe it’s going to be 500 horsepower in the base car.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The c7 type questions in general, why discuss something that is 3-4 down the road. Enjoy the present time!!! + there are so many rumors you don't know what to believe, its kinda of pointless to discuss.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

The c7 type questions in general, why discuss something that is 3-4 down the road. Enjoy the present time!!! + there are so many rumors you don't know what to believe, its kinda of pointless to discuss.
3 or 4 years down the road is not as far off as you might think.

Why just about 3 years ago the C6 was hitting the streets. Mine was delivered in December of '04. Seems like yesterday.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:12 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default 60 plus view

steve martin told david letterman,that once you turn 60 your long range goals become short range goals. ergo,my goal is to get a 2008
that's it.
can not remotely project to c7,but i sure as hell hope the kids haven't
taken away the keys and the license by the time that weapon
of mass destruction appears.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Buy American and brand loyalty are things of the past.
True, for most consumers at least...but not for me.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RFJohnston
yah... hopefully the roof will stay on the new models...

once was enough for me!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm sure GM will be able to continue increasing power in Corvette without becoming emissions illegal.

Prior to this year I would have agreed with you, but now that they have made CO2 a gas that must be limited or removed, I'm not so sure. CO2 is a natural byproduct of the combustion process, and the larger the engine the greater the CO2 emissions. Since the father of the internet, Al Gore, is now on his global warming crusade, anything in the way of bizzare regulations is possible. And by the way don't bother confronting Gore global warming advocates with factual data about global warming / cooling cycles and man's limited affect on them because this movement has taken on the fervor of a religious movement and factual data is quickly dismissed.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM
smdio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pictures look incredibly similar to the current z06
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I'm ordering a 2008 and will probably get a C7 when they first come out. I'm not scared of 1st year models. If something breaks its got a warranty.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
warc1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
My point is this: Were this car, which is powered by a 3.6 liter, 6 cylinder turbocharged engine, not so heavy, and not all wheel drive, it would get much better gas mileage than it does now while still making what, 480 hp and around 460 ft/lbs of torque standard, and over 500 ft/lbs of torque with the "On-demand overboost" ??

Bottom line is Chevy's competitors are apparently willing to use forced induction and small cubes in an effort to escalate and "compete in with the intent of winning" the HP wars while maintaining some semblence of fuel economy.
Forgive me if I am misreading your post, but you seem to be fairly explicitly stating that small displacement FI engines intrinsically have much better fuel economy at identical power levels. This is just not the case. The thermal efficiency of the internal combustion engine has a theoretical maximum no matter what technologies are employed and current engines are getting near that limit. Very generally, the amount of power derived is directly related to the amount of fuel and air that is available for combustion. The smaller displacement engine using FI, makes up for the fact that there is less internal volume by cramming more air and fuel into this volume for every cycle. It does so to the extent that fuel consumption is similar to a normally aspirated, large displacement engine producing the same power. In other words, the amount of fuel being supplied in both approaches for similar power is not significantly different.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach, and probably the biggest advantage to FI is weight savings using a smaller block. However, we’re talking one or two hundred pounds at most (i.e. around 5% of a nominal sport’s car’s weight). While a reduction in weight will help fuel economy, these factors are not directly proportional. That is, a 5% reduction in weight does not translate to a 5% increase in fuel economy since the latter is dependent on many other variables. So, to put this back in perspective, were talking maybe generating single digit percentage increases in fuel economy with FI engines vs potentially legislated increases in the range of 40%. That's an order of magnitude difference here that cannot be overcome simply by switching to small displacement FI engines. Again, this is why GM vice chairman Bob Lutz is recently quoted as stating:

"We don't know how to get 30 percent better mileage from" RWD cars.
It’s physically impossible to achieve efficiency gains of this magnitude at the same power levels.

Getting back to the original post, the question is whether us 2008 C6 buyers will be considering LS7 equipped C7’s in 2010. I continue to believe that it is very unlikely that there will be a C7 in 2010 and even more unlikely to have the LS7 as base power. To date, no one has addressed the fact that GM indicated three weeks ago that C7 development is on indefinite hold awaiting the results of proposed CAFE legislation. This alone places a 2010 launch date (which was nothing more than speculation) in jeopardy. Consider as well the following:
  1. Accommodating CAFE changes to the C7 design will add significant time to the development cycle that would push a model launch well beyond the speculated 2010 date.
  2. it will be very difficult if not impossible to maintain current power levels let alone increase them under significantly higher CAFE standards.

As I said before, nothing can be said with certainty about the future. However, given the available indicators, I would suggest that chances of a 2010 LS7 C7 are not looking very good.

Last edited by warc1; 05-14-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:28 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

how many here think dsom will trade up to an '08 within the next 12 months??.....

Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
how many here think dsom will trade up to an '08 within the next 12 months??.....

Actually don't laugh.

I have an appointment to take my car in to my dealer for the "Service Active Handling" snafu which periodically shows up on the DIC.

It is during this service visit that I am to test drive an '06 Z06 with 750 miles on it. They are "able to negotiate" on this one but asking 74,900. We'll see.

This is my dealer who I have bought all my Vettes from, and won't budge on the '07 Z06. Says they want sticker. If thats the case, then I am contemplating ordering an '08 Z06 as he says that he will do that for sticker too. If they are going to want sticker, then may as well get a newer car.

It could very well be that we are in the last days of the horsepower wars as warc1 and Marinablue are pointing out.

I remember the Toyota Celica turbo that they quit making which is now in huge demand.

But I digress. Only way I get into another C6 is if its a Z06. An '08 coupe or vert, I really don't consider an upgrade.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-14-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:59 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TexJeep
Well..... the rational response is that I'll wait and see the C-7, but the somewhat embarassing fact is that when I see a new generation, I just gotta have one! There is no end to my ability to talk myself into it.

Jeep
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Mikesan
Pro

I think I will be happy enough with my '08 coupe for 4-5 years. Not going to worry about C7s or LS7s in the meantime. Suspect that the LS3 will be the base engine thru the end of the C6 run and probably for the first two years of any C7.

In '09 or '10 will be looking to get a convertible Camaro to replace wife's Solstice.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many of You "08 Buyers are Planning on a C7?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:14 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

DSOM, if you're serious about a Z06, and can make a trip to texas, I guaranty I can help you find a brand new '07 z for under msrp. I'm sure they'd work with on a trade as well. Let me know and I'll be glad to help you find the best deal possible.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by glind46677
Im buying a new vert as soon as I get this one paid for. My last payment is June 2nd 2057. Still have a little while I'll be 98 year old. WoW.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by warc1

Getting back to the original post, the question is whether us 2008 C6 buyers will be considering LS7 equipped C7’s in 2010. I continue to believe that it is very unlikely that there will be a C7 in 2010 and even more unlikely to have the LS7 as base power. To date, no one has addressed the fact that GM indicated three weeks ago that C7 development is on indefinite hold awaiting the results of proposed CAFE legislation. This alone places a 2010 launch date (which was nothing more than speculation) in jeopardy. Consider as well the following:
  1. Accommodating CAFE changes to the C7 design will add significant time to the development cycle that would push a model launch well beyond the speculated 2010 date.
  2. it will be very difficult if not impossible to maintain current power levels let alone increase them under significantly higher CAFE standards.

As I said before, nothing can be said with certainty about the future. However, given the available indicators, I would suggest that chances of a 2010 LS7 C7 are not looking very good.
I have had time to read your posts in this thread and look at the link you posted and your argument is persuasive if not irrefutable.

I am starting to agree with you.

Quick Reply: How Many of You "08 Buyers are Planning on a C7?