C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Mid-Engined Corvette is not only back on the front burner - it looks to be a cert

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Secondly, it allows GM and Corvette Racing to do something that is long, long overdue, and that is to become the second American automobile manufacturer to go for the overall victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans - something that hasn't been achieved since the glory days of Ford's four-year winning onslaught in the 60s - some 40 years ago.
This is some pretty wishful thinking. As far as I know the last "production" cars to win Le Mans were the detuned McLaren F1s (if you can call that "production" in the sense that GM does.) What wins overall at Le Mans is purpose-built racing machinery - not production-based cars. Just putting the engine in the middle wouldn't change the basic premise of the vehicle. It would still be a GT-1 class car that would have it's *** handed to it by the Audis and Peugeots and Courages in the overall standings. Also, Ford's "four-year winning onslaught" was done with purpose-built race cars.

Z//
Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Skiman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this really comes to be, I just hope that it has more trunk space than all the mid-engine exotics that I'm aware of. It doesn't have to hold two sets of golf clubs, just enough luggage space for two for a road trip. I forsee custom fitted luggage becoming a necessity. I also hope that the view to the rear is adequate.

It would simply be the most significant change in the Corvette's history.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Mangs
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mid engine would be cool. I also think it would be cool if they had a seating arrangement like the McLaren F1. Driver in the middle with a seat on each side.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mangs
Mid engine would be cool. I also think it would be cool if they had a seating arrangement like the McLaren F1. Driver in the middle with a seat on each side.
The McLaren F1's seating arrangement is completely impractical for a street driven car, as is most of the rest of the McLaren also.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skiman
If this really comes to be, I just hope that it has more trunk space than all the mid-engine exotics that I'm aware of. It doesn't have to hold two sets of golf clubs, just enough luggage space for two for a road trip. I forsee custom fitted luggage becoming a necessity. I also hope that the view to the rear is adequate.
This is probably the most significant reason of all, for them NOT to do it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:23 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
This is probably the most significant reason of all, for them NOT to do it.
Work it right, and you can have decent trunk space. I've taken a couple folding chairs, cooler, cleaning supplies, brochures, and had plenty of spare room for a duffle bag, etc., when I took MT900's to shows. My design criteria was that the ACO spec "suitcase" fit, and that a small set of golf clubs fit.

Note, not my picture.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Jahan
Pro

So the base price jumps from $45K to ~$70ish? While I'm intrigued by the potential of a mid-engine Corvette, this would likely be well outside my price range . . . $50K for my 08 was about the max that I was willing to spend on a car that MIGHT see 4000 miles a year.

Sucks for me I guess . . .
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Let me ask a question:

How many of you have ever driven, much less ridden in, a mid engine high HP SPORTS car?

My guess is less than 1% on this Forum.

I've owned two of the mid engine high HP sports cars. Notice I said 'owned', not own.

Simple reasons:

1) The engine makes the interior HOT.

2) the engine makes the interior noisy.

If GM does this it will be the mistake that probably spells the end of the Corvette as a vehicle you'll want to own, and DRIVE
Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Part of the Corvettes continuing appeal is it's practicality, never mind it winning the perennial " bang for the buck " comparos. Luggage and golf clubs for a weekend getaway sells a lot of couples on the vehicle. Lose that aspect and you will find a lot of resistence from the " significant other " , even if it could outdo a mid-engined Ferrari at 1/4the price with a nice interior to boot. That part of the biz case is probably what gives GM execs heartburn , no matter the enhancement of GM's global image . ( Imagine you are sitting there greenlighting a project that may get great press reviews but only sell 25% of currnt volume , even with a Caddy version and you have to then layoff people at Bowling Green !) .
Porsche did the short run Carrera GT supercar, but didn't scuttle the venerable , rear engine 911 with it's faithful owners. GM should learn from that.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 PM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Guys, how can you even begin to speculate on things like interior space, sound levels, comfort etc without having any idea about what the car might look like?

Current production mid engined cars are at least satisfactory in all the above areas of concern. My presumption is that engineering gets better as time goes by. Thus the idea of a new mid-engined C7 (if it in fact will be) would be worse than current or older model mid-engined cars just doesn't make sense. Give the Corvette design more credit than that.

-RR
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by roushraven
Guys, how can you even begin to speculate on things like interior space, sound levels, comfort etc without having any idea about what the car might look like?

Current production mid engined cars are at least satisfactory in all the above areas of concern. My presumption is that engineering gets better as time goes by. Thus the idea of a new mid-engined C7 (if it in fact will be) would be worse than current or older model mid-engined cars just doesn't make sense. Give the Corvette design more credit than that.

-RR
Giving GM credit for engineering improvements is like providing a crackhead access to illegal drugs.

Lets look at the flying roof, front pulley, etc. Dang, roofs and pulleys have been around on cars for almost 100 years - yet GM managed to make them worse

And unless GM somehow defies the laws of physics - noise generated by a mid- engine V8 can only be overcome by placing X numbers of insulation into the Vette - enough to make the Vette weigh factor unacceptable in all probability.

As an aside - for 40 years the 'mid- engine' Vette has been a rumor - comes up every time a new generation is forthcoming.

Wonder if someone is willing to put their money on it happening
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Originally Posted by roushraven

-RR

It remains to be seen how they will fit two sets of golf clubs and luggage . Ferrari's F430 can fit two sets of clubs behind seats ( using small bags and limited number of clubs ) and a couple duffle bags in the front trunk . Not sure if that would pass mustard with Corvette folks.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Giving GM credit for engineering improvements is like providing a crackhead access to illegal drugs.

Lets look at the flying roof, front pulley, etc. Dang, roofs and pulleys have been around on cars for almost 100 years - yet GM managed to make them worse

And unless GM somehow defies the laws of physics - noise generated by a mid- engine V8 can only be overcome by placing X numbers of insulation into the Vette - enough to make the Vette weigh factor unacceptable in all probability.

As an aside - for 40 years the 'mid- engine' Vette has been a rumor - comes up every time a new generation is forthcoming.

Wonder if someone is willing to put their money on it happening

Good point, touche'!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 PM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

here is what i do not understand

A few folks said the mid engine arrangement would make the car to noisy.

can same tell me why, in both mid and front engine setup there is a firewall between engine and passenger compartment right? So where does the extra noise come from ?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Dragonjo8
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead
here is what i do not understand

A few folks said the mid engine arrangement would make the car to noisy.

can same tell me why, in both mid and front engine setup there is a firewall between engine and passenger compartment right? So where does the extra noise come from ?
It may be due to the fact that your head is actually physically closer (by a couple of feet, or so) to the engine compartment in a mid engine design versus a front. This could result in your perception of the sound being louder (even though the actual dBs the engines output is the same).

Last edited by Dragonjo8; 08-23-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

What a bad idea. I hope they never do it. If they do go forward with this, I will not buy it, and I know a lot of others won't either. We love our Corvettes the way they are, with a big honkin' engine in the FRONT!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

All I can say is WOW! I think GM has the ability to pull this off and answer all of your concerns. Looks like my Katech Corvette will only be good for three years. Maybe Katech can add a gazillion HP to a mid engine Corvette and I will have to learn to drive all over again. It sounds like FUN!

Get notified of new replies

To The Mid-Engined Corvette is not only back on the front burner - it looks to be a cert

Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyVette
What a bad idea. I hope they never do it. If they do go forward with this, I will not buy it, and I know a lot of others won't either. We love our Corvettes the way they are, with a big honkin' engine in the FRONT!
Well, you don't speak for this "we"

As someone who has owned mid-engined cars most of his life (and enjoyed them), I'd buy a mid-engine Corvette in a quick second (given a reasonable price and reasonable usability.)

Z//
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

This was in an email from a friend of mine. I agree w/all of it...

LAME!
Here’s why;

the new car will have a target base price that's very close to a loaded Corvette convertible of today, a number that will keep the future mid-engined Corvette well within reach of its core buyers at current volume levels.
A loaded convertible costs almost $68,000! That’s $20,000 over the price of yours. Not affordable!

Futuristic, purposeful and bristling with exquisite "signature" Corvette design elements - with no "blades" and no bull**** gimmicks - the new Corvette is everything the Corvette faithful could hope for.
Except the engine in front. They’ve only been doing that for 50 years.

The mid-engined configuration will not only propel the Corvette to the next level in terms of performance - giving cars such as the new Audi A8 and any future Porsche 911 fits
A C6 w/ Z51 already beats these cars! Also I didn’t realize the A8 was new and that it in any way compares to a Corvette. An R8 maybe. (which the Corvette easily beats as well, BTW)

by the way (not to mention making Ferrari and Lamborghini very uncomfortable)
A Z06 already beats these cars! And it already costs the same amount they want the C7 to start at.

it will finally be able to assume the role as a global technological showcase for the corporation, something that it couldn't quite accomplish as long as it was hamstrung with its traditional front-engined configuration
???????? Retarded. I guess Ferrari figured they were too far ahead of the competition with the Testarossa so they decided to hamstring themselves with the front engined 550, 456, 599, 612 etc. That way, the rest of the automotive world could catch up.

Secondly, it allows GM and Corvette Racing to do something that is long, long overdue, and that is to become the second American automobile manufacturer to go for the overall victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans - something that hasn't been achieved since the glory days of Ford's four-year winning onslaught in the 60s - some 40 years ago.
This is pointless. One of the posts already hit on this one. No “production” car is going to win LeMans. If it could, they wouldn’t have the prototype class. What similarities does an R10 share with any Audi road car? If GM really wanted to win LeMans overall, they’d build a car and do it, then maybe sell a few on the side for half a million or so. Not change 50 years worth of front engined history and jack the price of “the only car they make that’s worth a damn” out of the range of the majority of their prospective buyers.

However, I’m not saying they won’t build it. Just that they shouldn’t, that this guy is an idiot and GM is that dumb.

Now I’m pissed.

I agree with what he said, and I'm going to add two points:
1. The only reason GM would go to mid engine is marketing. They're already meeting the goals w/the current platform....those goals are; beating the majority of the world! Raise the price of the Z06 $1000 and equip it from the factory w/decent shocks and non run-flat tires, and what could beat it?
2. You don't develop a production car to win overall at Le Mans. You develop a race car, then transfer the technology learned, down to production cars. What production Audi is the R10 based on? What production Ford was the original GT-40 based on??

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-23-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 PM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Time and technology does not stop. GM, like all of its competitors must look ahead and not rest on the laurels of the current platform. In any event, this is still all speculation and conjecture, however, if they do build a mid-engined car I would definitely be interested.

GM can't please everybody. Look at the number of C-5 and older model owners who don't care for the styling of the C-6. Yet, Corvette moves forward and is still a leader, convincingly, in the marketplace and on the track.

Reserve judgement, you may be surprised and actually like it; that is if they build it.

-RR

Quick Reply: The Mid-Engined Corvette is not only back on the front burner - it looks to be a cert