Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default C7 & Lotus Exige

I think the age of the monster cars is over, for now

Therefor my guess is that the Lotus Exige points to the future of sports cars

I would guess GM will keep the aluminum frame of the Z06, add more carbon fiber

but make the car smaller, lighter, & less powerful than the C6

but if its light enough less hp wont matter so much

just found this sweet Lotus concept car

Last edited by Mjolitor 68; 07-20-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds good to me.

Smaller, lighter, mid-engine and a smaller screaming V8 would be awesome. Just make sure someone over 6 foot tall can fit okay....

They'll never do it though, the traditionalists would have a fit.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
opua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the C7 to be smaller in both width and length (therefore hopefully lighter), more agile, keep the current engine, less luxury items but make side airbags standard, reduce turning circle, use non-run flats.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by opua
I like the C7 to be smaller in both width and length (therefore hopefully lighter), more agile, keep the current engine, less luxury items but make side airbags standard, reduce turning circle, use non-run flats.
Interesting, I would make side airbags standard, as they do help even if you are securely belted. However, I would make front airbags optional, as their value if you are securely belted is dubious.

With non-runflats, would you have a spare or go back to the C5 Z06 with the inflator?

Last edited by Racer X; 07-23-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

It is all about weight and size.. did you guys see this video I linked in the R&T thread?.. 190hp looks like a lot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOnOXXc-ps

Last edited by Tintin; 07-22-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want a smaller turning circle? Only way to do that is shorten the wheel base. Sacrifice high speed handling and weight distribution. They've been extending the wheel base for years.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy your smaller C7... I'll start looking at new cars that will accommodate tall folk like myself.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM
El Puto
Drifting

The width helps handling. And a larger car is safer and more comfortable. Non run flats? - Now your'e talking about a track car.

Why make the Vette into a Lotus Elise? I want a Vette.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Corvette.C6-R
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by El Puto
The width helps handling. And a larger car is safer and more comfortable. Non run flats? - Now your'e talking about a track car.

Why make the Vette into a Lotus Elise? I want a Vette.
I'll jump onto the Porsche 911 bandwagon if the Vette gets smaller.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

I owned 2 Corvettes and an Elise.

If they made the Corvette more like the Lotus Exige, it'd be like a light Ferrari F430.

Seriously, the only thing keeping the Corvette from being a completely world beating sports car is a bit more refinement in the chassis and a more communicative, precise driving experience.

It'd be just about the perfect sports car then.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ObeyC6
Enjoy your smaller C7... I'll start looking at new cars that will accommodate tall folk like myself.
I'm almost 6' and have leg room to spare in the Lotus.

If they can do that in a car that small, there's absolutely no reason why Chevy can't make the C7 in the 2700-2900 pound range, slightly smaller, yet still big enough to accommodate tall people.

Add on to that a better, more communicative steering rack with less power assist and you could have a great, fun sports car.

I'm not interested in the C6 after owning one because it's so cushy. If the C7 is more like a true sports car, I'll be on the waiting list.

Also, smaller isn't always less safe. In a single vehicle accident, it can be safer as it carries less inertia. Also, as the cars on the road get smaller and smaller in the upcoming years, size will be less of an issue.

I bet, though, that the C7 will still be pretty big. It's probably already been in development for a few years, and I doubt GM has the foresight to make a smaller and more efficient Vette. If a small one comes around, I bet it'll be in the form of the C8, which by then will certainly be hybrid or some other alternative to gas.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ObeyC6
How tall are you? I had an Elise and a number of 6'3"+ had them. Also, they just introduced the Evora(?) and the release says it is designed to fit a 99th percentile American male (6'5").

I am not suggesting making it an Elise. I and others are suggesting that there are new regulatory rules that have to be met (35 MPG average CAFE) and to meet those guidelines, that GM and others will have to design lighter cars. Another option is to STOP producing Corvettes, produce less light trucks and more smaller cars.

I would prefer that GM continue producing the Corvette. There are only so many ways to reduce fuel consumption. All involve either increasing engine efficiency (% of energy in the fuel converted to motion instead of heat) ore reducing the amount of energy required to move the the vehicle each mile. So lower driveline drag, lower rolling resistance, lower Coefficient of drag, lower frontal area, lower weight, lower reciprocating mass. The weight can be reduced through reduced density (stronger per unit of mass materials), or reducing volume of the car.

There is a lot of difference in size between the Elise and the Vette. You could move in the direction of the Elise without significantly reducing the passeger space available.

If you have never driven an Elise it is difficult to imagine the difference in handling dynamics that are afforded by the reduction in weight and footprint, nevermind chassis differences.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
How tall are you? I had an Elise and a number of 6'3"+ had them. Also, they just introduced the Evora(?) and the release says it is designed to fit a 99th percentile American male (6'5").
99th Percentile??! Jesus, I didn't know I was THAT tall at 6'6"!!! You damn short people are pulling me down!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The reasons the Corvette shouldn't be an Elise, are the same reasons none of us bought an Elise. Teeth rattling ride, contortionist ingress and egress, carry-on bag luggage space, thrashy four-banger, etc. The Elise is a great car for what it is, but it isn't a Corvette.

Michael
Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 AM
rejj
Advanced

GM isn't targeting the harcore track enthusiast like the Elise/Exige. They want the status like porsche, or other GT car. GT stands for Grand Tourer, which will have a nice interior and some form of sound deadening.

I was looking at exige 240s before buying my vette, and to be honest, I had no problem with the size. The road noise, lack of a rear view because of the intercooler, and harsh ride pushed me away.

The vette is an awesome daily driver. Anyone who had driven a lotus for more than 2 hours will be hurting.

It will be interesting to see how the new lotus eagle comes out. it seems to be headed to a GT type car.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael A
The reasons the Corvette shouldn't be an Elise, are the same reasons none of us bought an Elise. Teeth rattling ride, contortionist ingress and egress, carry-on bag luggage space, thrashy four-banger, etc. The Elise is a great car for what it is, but it isn't a Corvette.

Michael
Some of us did buy Elises too.

I found getting in an out was only a little more difficult that gettin in and out of the 86 Corvette I had. And I was much older and heavier when I had the Elise, that may have had more to do with it than anything.

I don't recall my Elise "rattling". The trunk would fit a lightweight carry golf bag, I can't carry one of those on an airplane. I don't recall the engine being "thrashy, I recall a high revving, somewhat peaky engine.

Some of us buy cars based on preformance, and like a stiffer ride. The luxuries of the Corvette were a bonus to the performance, not a necesity for me to buy it.

It's nice that we all look for different things in cars, and perceive the same things differently. It is all a matter of perspective.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:09 PM
mo-shy
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette.C6-R
I'll jump onto the Porsche 911 bandwagon if the Vette gets smaller.

i dunno how some people thinking, corvette not in the same series with Lotus

we want it wider and lower to make the real sport car look!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 & Lotus Exige

Quick Reply: C7 & Lotus Exige