C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the next corvette be a brand itself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 AM
INTELinside
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the next corvette be a brand itself?

I hope I don't get flamed, but should corvette lineup be separated from Chevrolet? Because ifCorvette becomes a brand itself, I believe that it will help GM's flagship sports car become a global car.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 AM
INTELinside
Heel & Toe

Some models that I want to see on Corvette brand

C7 (base)
C7 Targa (removable top)
C7 Z06 (track oriented version)
* And as usual, ZR1 will always be a limited edition car, an Ultimate GT car.

Last edited by INTELinside; 08-30-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 AM
INTELinside
Heel & Toe

Here's how the new C7 should be executed...

- Use the same LS3 engine. This engine is already perfect considering its output and small physical size. All it needs is refinement by adding cylinder deactivation. This should be added to improve fuel economy.

- Offer DSG transmission for majority of buyers. DSG is the future of high performance cars and there's no escape from it! There's no need for traditional automatic transmission since DSGs can be switched from manual mode to automatic.

- Offer the same transmission/transaxle found on ULTIMA GTR to traditional manual users. With this on C7, you get an overbuilt drivetrain for C7 that is used to handle Ultima GTR's 1000+ hp small block V8s.

- Refinement on all fronts!

* Refine the steering feel.

* Build better, solid chassis to minimize creaks and rattles (here's a secret, develop the car at Nurburgring!)

* Refine interior with better fit/finish. See the nissan GT-R for inspiration (no gaps, rattles, simple and straight forward). Still not satisfied? Go to a coach builder!

* Aerodynamics. See Nissan GT-R on how to get downforce on ALL 4 wheels while coefficient drag is only 0.27.

* Give this car proper sports car suspension with front double-wishbone and rear multilink for better handling and comfort. It may add weight but it should make this car as balanced corners as the Honda S2000. Note that honda S2000 and base C6 have almost the same power to weight ratio.

* If GM is planning to build C7 Z06 track oriented car, don't do it half-hearted like the C6! Give it a decent stock tire.

Last edited by INTELinside; 08-30-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTELinside
I hope I don't get flamed, but should corvette lineup be separated from Chevrolet? Because ifCorvette becomes a brand itself, I believe that it will help GM's flagship sports car become a global car.
If I understand you correctly, you would like to see Corvette branded as part of a company separate from GM. In that respect, I would have to agree with you. I would not want GM to take the Corvette car down with the rest of the company, if that were to happen. I have often thought that Corvette should be its own company because I am afraid that GM would take the revenues made from the sale of Corvettes and divert those funds to other poor performing car lines.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
INTELinside
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ajrubincpa
If I understand you correctly, you would like to see Corvette branded as part of a company separate from GM. In that respect, I would have to agree with you. I would not want GM to take the Corvette car down with the rest of the company, if that were to happen. I have often thought that Corvette should be its own company because I am afraid that GM would take the revenues made from the sale of Corvettes and divert those funds to other poor performing car lines.
No, corvette will still be part of GM as a separate division.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how the new C7 should be executed...

- Use the same LS3 engine. This engine is already perfect considering its output and small physical size. All it needs is refinement by adding cylinder deactivation. This should be added to improve fuel economy.

- Offer DSG transmission for majority of buyers. DSG is the future of high performance cars and there's no escape from it! There's no need for traditional automatic transmission since DSGs can be switched from manual mode to automatic.

- Offer the same transmission/transaxle found on ULTIMA GTR to traditional manual users. With this on C7, you get an overbuilt drivetrain for C7 that is used to handle Ultima GTR's 1000+ hp small block V8s.

- Refinement on all fronts!

* Refine the steering feel.

* Build better, solid chassis to minimize creaks and rattles (here's a secret, develop the car at Nurburgring!)

* Refine interior with better fit/finish. See the nissan GT-R for inspiration (no gaps, rattles, simple and straight forward). Still not satisfied? Go to a coach builder!

* Aerodynamics. See Nissan GT-R on how to get downforce on ALL 4 wheels while coefficient drag is only 0.27.

* Give this car proper sports car suspension with front double-wishbone and rear multilink for better handling and comfort. It may add weight but it should make this car as balanced corners as the Honda S2000. Note that honda S2000 and base C6 have almost the same power to weight ratio.

* If GM is planning to build C7 Z06 track oriented car, don't do it half-hearted like the C6! Give it a decent stock tire.
Surely you jest. Do you or have you ever owned a Corvette?

Most corvette owners want a RWD car not AWD. Too much weight.

Ultima GTR transmissions won't hold 1000+ hp for the duration of a 100,000 mile warranty.

Steering feel was upgraded in 08.

What car since the C5 has had gaps and rattles? How many have you owned?

Starting with the C5 the hydroformed frame is one of the most rigid chassis on the road. What creaks and rattles?

If you are looking at the GTR for interior inspiration, you've been playing to many video games.

Aerodynamics of .27 cd is good for its size but the GTR has more drag than a Corvette in spite of a better cd due to larger frontal area.

Suspension? I guess you've never looked under a Corvette. They've had double A arm/wishbone suspensions made of aluminum to keep weight down for decades.

Power to weight ratio??? !!!!! What kind of calculator are you using? Honda 2864/237hp = 12.08 lbs / hp. Corvette 3217/430hp = 7.48 lbs / hp. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

What's half hearted about a C6 Z06??

I think you need to check a few facts before you come in here and post such absolute nonsense.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absolutely! But It should no longer be GM doing the manufacturing. As long as GM continues to make the vette, there are gong to be continued problems with the car. This is because GM uses crappy (lowest-bid) contractors to put it together. GM itself also lacks originality and creativity (using previous designs) to assemble a true bad-*** looking sports car. And their dealership service is
Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 PM
INTELinside
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by robvuk
Surely you jest. Do you or have you ever owned a Corvette?

Most corvette owners want a RWD car not AWD. Too much weight.
Where did I mention it should be AWD?????

If you are looking at the GTR for interior inspiration, you've been playing to many video games.
I'm talking about fit and finish and not the build-in MFDs. Its interior is all business as Corvettes but doesn't give away cheapness.

What's half hearted about a C6 Z06??
1. Stock tires
2. Seats with not enough bolstering
Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 AM
07 LMB Z06
Racer

My friend and I have discussed this countless times over 2 a.m. meals at Denny's...

Our conclusion: Sort of.

I believe, and this is only my opinion, that GM should focus on only Chevrolet and Cadillac.

GM should sell off the other makes and all related assets (such as production plants) for those makes and use that money towards future Cadillac and Chevy development.

GM should cut all the fat. They are making the same car over and over again. The example that sticks out most in my mind is the Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade example:

They are all essentially the same SUV with different badges; however, the Escalade sets itself apart by being the more expensive, more luxurious version. So, what is the difference between the Tahoe and the Yukon? GM has a higher end version of that platform (the Escalade) and two lower end versions, why? Why not just have one lower end version? Would that not cut costs of production?

My line-up:
Cadillac...
1. XLR base (V6), mid (V8), and V (high-output V8, perhaps keep the s.c.)
2. CTS base, mid, and V
3. STS base, mid, and V
4. SRX V6 version and V8 version
5. Escalade base, ESV, and EXT

all luxurious, base as cheapest and highest fuel econ., mid as a mix of performance and fuel econ., and V as the fastest, most aggressive looking, coolest, stand-out version with fuel economy still in mind but not as important as base and mid.

GM is basically already doing what I am suggesting with Cadillac so it can certainly be done, and that is why Cadillac is an excellent example of what GM should do.

Chevy...
1. Saturn Sky type car with the base and turbocharged models
2. Cobalt and SS
3. Malibu type car, V6 and V8 (basically a cheaper CTS)
4. Impala type car, V6 and V8 (basically a cheaper STS)
5. Trailblazer V6 and SS (cheaper SRX)
6. Tahoe and extended version (cheaper Escalade)
7. Silverado
8. and of course the Vette...no V6 version!

This is a quick, and very non-thorough write-up of our plan. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't, but since I am not CEO or on the board at GM it doesn't really matter. Maybe some day I'll be in a position to run the numbers and, if cost effective, implement the plan, or maybe someday I'll win the Mega Millions lotto...

*On a side note, I'd be nervous that if Corvette itself were a brand it would be subject to one of 2 scenarios...
1. Brand whoring. A Corvette sedan, an SUV, a cute little I-4 chick car, etc...
2. Higher, possibly exotic level, pricing to cover the costs of R&D and production. Now GM can spread these costs throughout its entire line-up, but if Corvette was on its own it would have to make up for all these costs somehow...charge us more. There goes part of the appeal of the Vette. Exotic beating performance for a fraction of the price.

Sorry for the long post, but just happened to be a topic I am interested in.

Last edited by 07 LMB Z06; 10-04-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I really hope that Corvette does NOT become a separate company. Being part of GM allows them to draw on all the expertise (yes, there still is a lot of it) in the big corporation, at minimal cost. Looking at what the other individual companies charge for cars that are similar to the C6, tells me that a stand-alone company would cause the price to increase 25-50%.
If Corvette became a separate division WITHIN GM, that might work out ok. Still, how may current Chevy dealers would choose to become Corvette dealers under a separate agreement? I like the idea that in an emergency, I can get my C6 serviced at any of the umpteen-thousand Chevy dealers around the country. Also provides more dealer vs dealer competition.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 AM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope so!!! It should be a GM Corvette under it's own brand.

Get notified of new replies

To Should the next corvette be a brand itself?

Quick Reply: Should the next corvette be a brand itself?