C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.5lt V-8

Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I Bin Therbefor
CF Senior Member

Default Already on the 6.2lt

The L92 version of the 6.2lt used on the Escalade and Ykon has VVT and the L99 version announced for the 2010 Camaro SS has Active Fuel Management cylinder deactication as standard on all automatic transmission versions.

Both easily done for the 2010 C6 automatic transmission versions for increase in gas milage.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
vettesrgt8
CF Senior Member

I always wondered why GM didn't mess around with the Miller supercharger more. It really meets the bill better for smaller engines and is more in tune with cars being more Jekyl and Hyde. Not a big deal but something to think about. I like turbocharging more and it's more economical even than the Miller. I assume it is more warranty difficult though compared to a supercharger??????

I do think they are going to have to think about DOHC and multiple valves per cylinder as well as HPDI to get more from less. Also adding electrical torque at some point makes sense for a hot rod. I don't see that for a Corvette anytime soon as it's too far off the beaten path for an American muscle car/vette. But another type go fast car that get 40+ and can still go 0-60 in less than 5 secs is nothing to sneeze at. More ummph from less weight is coming at some point, too.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:18 PM
PowerLabs
CF Senior Member

The Miller cycle is very hard on the supercharger; I think it would be difficult to get good life from the blower on an engine like that. It is also less efficient since the blower you are driving is running at 20+PSI and thus seeing maybe 70% efficiency at best.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 AM
vettesrgt8
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PowerLabs View Post
The Miller cycle is very hard on the supercharger; I think it would be difficult to get good life from the blower on an engine like that. It is also less efficient since the blower you are driving is running at 20+PSI and thus seeing maybe 70% efficiency at best.
I'm afraid I don't know the reasons why it's less efficient and needs to be at 20+PSI. I know it isn't always boosting but I've forgotten a lot about it.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
rad928music
CF Senior Member

I guess the vettes the only car making money @ GM so Im sure it will listen to the corvette community on basing what kind of Displacment will be put in the C7 but i bet it will be faster and more efficient based on the past history of the car.
The 5.5 makes great power for the size.
I saw a 5.5 relatively stock at over 450 hp on HP TV show and it was a stock build up.
Slap (twin)(small)turbos on it and tweek it to 600hp(no turbo lag) in the base C7 and blow the ZR1 away (and get better gase mileage).........and you wont have the power robbing belt drive SC, and sell it for $50,000.

Last edited by rad928music; 11-17-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.5lt V-8

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: