Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's Official: C7 Corvette shelved indefinitely by GM. Source: Autoweek

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Official: C7 Corvette shelved indefinitely by GM. Source: Autoweek

Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
bb62
CF Senior Member

The C3s lasted 15 years. The C4s lasted 13 years. The C5 is the aberation lasting only 8 years. I see nothing wrong with a C6 lasting a long time. The key is not to allow the C6 to follow the same path as the C3s. Insurance rates and emissions standards turned fire breathing 71s (re: LS6) into wimpy 75s (165HP Base Car). Still those cars from 75 through the rest of the 70s were some of the best selling Corvettes historically. I don't think the Corvette will follow that path again.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by bb62 View Post
The C3s lasted 15 years. The C4s lasted 13 years. The C5 is the aberation lasting only 8 years. I see nothing wrong with a C6 lasting a long time. The key is not to allow the C6 to follow the same path as the C3s. Insurance rates and emissions standards turned fire breathing 71s (re: LS6) into wimpy 75s (165HP Base Car). Still those cars from 75 through the rest of the 70s were some of the best selling Corvettes historically. I don't think the Corvette will follow that path again.
The C5 was delayed for similar reasons. If you read All Corvettes Are Red you get an appreciation for all the gyrations GM is capable of as they flail about in troubled economic times.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Gonzo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by one18Vette View Post
According to the Mayans the world ends in 2012 so I think we're good...
12/12/12.............Classic Response
Old 10-25-2008, 02:52 PM
bychance
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide View Post
It's hard to believe the C6 will carry Corvette through 2014. Seems like a very long time, even though the C6 is an excellent Corvette.
It'll be over before you know it
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
dbvettez06
CF Senior Member

It's hard to believe the C6 will carry Corvette through 2014. Seems like a very long time, even though the C6 is an excellent Corvette.
Why not the C6 is a fantastick car!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
djcwardog
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zdave83 View Post
FWIW - I don't need anything from GM to keep my '82 in great shape.
...except for their excellent OEM part for the flexible steering coupler (rag joint)! Stock up now!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Jumboshrmp

I'm glad to hear this actually, I doubt I'll be able to afford a corvette for at least 7 years, and when I do buy one I want to be the first owner of a brand new C6.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Quickstrike Zo6

Well, I guess its just a wait and see game now...
Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 AM
heavychevy
CF Senior Member

If the big 3 get put on hold I bet the C7 definitely gets put on hold as they'll be under extremet pressure to turn their focus to efficiency. The Corvette has enough followers to keep making the C6 and selling it.

Even if they do the pre-planned bankruptcy, which I think is the best option (restructure FIRST then get funds), they'll still be under tons of pressurem but they'll be free from these outrageous union agreements and maybe rid of some bad management.

Either way I think it will be a while before GM can do anything. Funny thing is that we haveny heard one thing about GM's racing program really being in jeopardy other than rumor. I'd think that would be one of the first things on the chopping block. They can just wait for the revise GT1 in 2010.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bb62 View Post
The early C-3's 68 to 72 are now appreciating in value.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member

Default but

with all the foreign makes in a downward spiral,I doubt there will be any other new c6 competition. The new Nissan Z just made it under the wire.

I really hope "our guys"(the big three) survive and prosper soon.
I KNOW EUROPEAN AND ASIAN GOVERNMENTS WILL NEVER LET THEIR
GUYS GO UNDER. ONLY in American do many think it would make our
guys more competitive in a game where the other guys have an unlimited credit line.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
5abivt
CF Senior Member

sad to hear. the c6 is a revamped c5 it isn't nearly as 'new' as a generation should be which makes it 11 years already for the current generation. Sad to hear it will most likely hit 13+
Old 12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
If the big 3 get put on hold I bet the C7 definitely gets put on hold as they'll be under extremet pressure to turn their focus to efficiency. The Corvette has enough followers to keep making the C6 and selling it.

Even if they do the pre-planned bankruptcy, which I think is the best option (restructure FIRST then get funds), they'll still be under tons of pressurem but they'll be free from these outrageous union agreements and maybe rid of some bad management.

Either way I think it will be a while before GM can do anything. Funny thing is that we haveny heard one thing about GM's racing program really being in jeopardy other than rumor. I'd think that would be one of the first things on the chopping block. They can just wait for the revise GT1 in 2010.
They must have chopped off the "Autoshow in Motion". If it weren't for that I wouldn't have purchased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's Official: C7 Corvette shelved indefinitely by GM. Source: Autoweek

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: