C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Should Go Back to Popup Headlamps - Why? LIDAR!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
I did not read through everone's replies but.......

HOW ABOUT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

You can now purchase windows for your home with electronic shading. The flip of an electric switch, makes the windows dark to significantly reduce sun penetration into a house.

The same technology could be applied to the outer lens of a C6 Corvette. When the motor is running, the lens go dark, or better yet, change to the color of the paint. Turn on the head lights, and they change to clear.

That would be most impressive.

One more bit of advise to Chevy.

How about a feature to change the back-lit gauges to whatever color you choose? There are a few other vehicles that offer the full color spectrum. You could change the dash lighting to mix or match with your exterior paint. How cool would that be?
What are you trying to do be creative!

I agree there are many things that can be done with headlights.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
BIGWILYT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like both the C5 headlights and c6... I prefer the C6 style, very clean, with sleek lines, and at night the HID setup work so much better!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:50 AM
madmax13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
I did not read through everone's replies but.......

HOW ABOUT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

You can now purchase windows for your home with electronic shading. The flip of an electric switch, makes the windows dark to significantly reduce sun penetration into a house.

The same technology could be applied to the outer lens of a C6 Corvette. When the motor is running, the lens go dark, or better yet, change to the color of the paint. Turn on the head lights, and they change to clear.

That would be most impressive.

One more bit of advise to Chevy.

How about a feature to change the back-lit gauges to whatever color you choose? There are a few other vehicles that offer the full color spectrum. You could change the dash lighting to mix or match with your exterior paint. How cool would that be?
QFT.

Why not have some sort of motorized sheath? It wouldn't need to move the whole lamp, just cover it.

Althugh I really like he C6 lights, especially on a black car. But what other color is there anyway
Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
With what that is going to stay on any any kind of speed?

Rather than stopping the car, getting out, removing covers, I think I would rather just use the headlamp switch.

Michael
I'd just rather follow the speed limit and not worry about it!!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Leave the Pop Up head lights in the past where they belong...

Reminds me of half opened C4 head lights with one open and one closed...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
82collectersvette
Advanced

for what its worth,

someone earlier in the post said that they thought they looked sleek and when they were up they took away from styling (i dont feel like quoting them), but i can see where they would say that, because of the c4 and somewhat the c5, the pop-ups were fugly... but with c2 or c3 they look good up or down... personally i think they should retro style the corvettes, because they c2 and or c3 were the best styles ever made, so either way pop ups or not they would look good and i know this was somewhat off topic.

If I had to choose to bring back or leave with regular headlights, i would say with they new styled regular headlights.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Read any laser gun test, and what are the two areas used for laser speed detection: the front plate, and the headlamps. Both of these items increase laser detection range considerably. Laser is getting more and more prevalent, and it is next to impossible to detect due to its narrow beam. The only real defense is stealthness. For that reason alone, I would like to see the C7 go back to popup headlamps. Perhaps with LED headlamps, it could be a very low popup.

By the way, I'm not in love with popups, although I know some people here are. However, when they become functional to the point of avoiding getting a ticket, it seems like the way to go. Also don't suggest a jammer. They're illegal in my state.

Michael
1) Don't speed so much and you wont have to worry
2) "fashion" isn't comfortable
Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
drew47000000
Pro

Read any laser gun test, and what are the two areas used for laser speed detection: the front plate, and the headlamps. Both of these items increase laser detection range considerably. Laser is getting more and more prevalent, and it is next to impossible to detect due to its narrow beam. The only real defense is stealthness. For that reason alone, I would like to see the C7 go back to popup headlamps. Perhaps with LED headlamps, it could be a very low popup.

By the way, I'm not in love with popups, although I know some people here are. However, when they become functional to the point of avoiding getting a ticket, it seems like the way to go. Also don't suggest a jammer. They're illegal in my state.

Michael
+10000 Brother!!

According to many radar/jammer forums I've been on Jammers a load of Bologna anyway. I love you reasoning about functionality and enjoy the aesthetics of the pop ups.

IF YOU'RE READING THIS GM, PLEASE GIVE US THE POP-UPS BACK. THANK YOU!!

Quick Reply: C7 Should Go Back to Popup Headlamps - Why? LIDAR!