C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ed Welburn Says That C7 Will Have Split Window Design

Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
JamesTX
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If GM insists on going "retro" with the vette, I would prefer the tunnel window to the split window, even though I might sacrifice some of the great trunk space the vette offers.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Gilded_Splinters
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a refugee from the C-3 forum and I'm coming into this thread...in fact ALL of the C-7 threads very late, so I apologize in advance for any unintentional redundancy.

I'm really surprised by some of the anti-retro comments I see here.

I drive an '05 mustang GT as a daily driver and it was the first Ford product I have ever owned after 30 or so muscle cars and modern day grocery getters. Frankly it's the best late model vehicle I think I've ever owned from literally every standpoint and the sheer homage/coolness factor that initially attracted me has turned out to be a bonus after the fact. EVERYONE looks at it, comments and loves it....period.

I own an '80 Corvette (first one after a VERY long wait), and while it's not my ideal year or model, it was immaculate, and affordable, and I plan to enjoy it and use it as a stepping stone to an earlier C-3.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the C-4 was boring and uninspired, unless you want to drive a massive RX-7 look alike that you stole from Barbie - the C-5 and 6 were certainly more exciting, but primarily from a technological standpoint, but somehow the stylistic spirit had been missing for too long.

The undeniable reaction to the so called retro cars has to be acknowledged from the now lowly, but once impossible to obtain PT Cruiser to the Mustang, Challenger, Ford GT, and others can't be ignored. They have successfully hit nerves in many drivers who are tired of egg shaped, nondescript cars that exude no personality, but rely on status and accessories to make an impact.

Someone mentioned the late model T-Bird. Way over priced, and still too pricey, but Chip Foose saw something in it and modded one into sexy perfection for a reason.

Anyway, I would give a nut to see a C-7 with C-2 and/or C-3 inspiration. Depending on price, GM wouldn't be able to make them fast enough if there were sharp edged fenders, side pipes, T-Tops and mail slot rear windows.

Think what you may, and I'm sorry if you drive one, but comparatively few people look at your '84 to present cars twice, but literally stop in their tracks or drool when they see the curves and points of the earlier models.

Again, no offense intended, I just remember how I felt every time I looked across the street at the back of my neighbor's '70 black, big block sticking out of the garage when I was 10. I felt that same thing when I saw the first late model Mustang, and it took me less than a week to order mine.

BTW...I think the Camaro missed the mark, and seems to not be able to make up it's mind what it wants to be if it gets a chance to grow up. I did drive one recently...powerful, but ponderous.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gilded_Splinters: Your right the retro idea sells cars because it offers older buyers the same car they may have purchased when they were 20. Very good marketing but its starting to wear off.

I drive an '05 mustang GT as a daily driver and it was the first Ford product I have ever owned after 30 or so muscle cars and modern day grocery getters. Frankly it's the best late model vehicle I think I've ever owned from literally every standpoint and the sheer homage/coolness factor that initially attracted me has turned out to be a bonus after the fact. EVERYONE looks at it, comments and loves it....period.
Except there is roughly 2.8 million 05+ mustangs in PA alone. They are utterly mass produced and boring to look at. People stare at a 71 mustang cause it is rare more then anything, not 05+. Try a 99-01 cobra for getting looks and rarity not to mention its superior in every way to the new GT's. Lets not even talk about the 03-04 cobras. More worried about retro? I would own an 03-04 Mach 1 before i would ever get in a new GT. They have the flash, looks, and again, rarity that 70's cars have. New mustangs dont.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the C-4 was boring and uninspired, unless you want to drive a massive RX-7 look alike that you stole from Barbie - the C-5 and 6 were certainly more exciting, but primarily from a technological standpoint, but somehow the stylistic spirit had been missing for too long.

C4 looks like a RX-7... Ill just leave that one alone. Personally I think the c6 is kinda retro. Compared to the c5 it has more creased fenders and fender flares that make it look very 68-74 ish

And LAZ06RACER, the ZR1 outperforms in every way any car costing less then at least half a million with its completley retuned engine, supercharger tech that is less then a year old, and suspension that GM pioneered around 1988 and porsche, ferrari, and other companies are just now starting to use cause its pretty much the most efficient and effective suspension system ever. The enzo ferrari (one of the most supercars of all time right?) used piston accuated shocks, guess what suspension they use now... magnetic rhetoric thereological shocks... aka GM designed.

Sorry I dont normally post on just chit chat topics like this but I had to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ed Welburn Says That C7 Will Have Split Window Design