C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's on the drawing board at Chevrolet, and a look at the REAL C7.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics of that have been floating around for a couple years now....doubt it'll look anything like it
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

IMHO a change in generations should bring a whole lot more design and horsepower change. This looks more like an upgraded version of a C6, sorta like the transformations the C4 went through
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen this over the last two years and hope it isn't what we end up with. Front looks like a Saturn.
I'd prefer something a bit more dramatic...maybe a bit more like this:

Last edited by vettedoogie; 12-11-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What happened to the dual clutch tranny?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 AM
johnhayesjr
Racer

its nice to know thats its hard to replace a c6 with something better.

Be proud gentleman to own a car thats very hard if not impossible to make better (in production aspects).
Old 12-11-2009, 08:02 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Not really the C7, actually not even a GM design. Not quite there on the options and the timeline is not even close. Other than that, interesting article.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:07 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

This isn't anything that GM has released ... it's just one company's ideas of where the C7 might be headed. It's a conceptual exercise, nothing more.

I'd be very surprised if the new C7 looks anything like this. I'd also be surprised to see it as a 2011 model.

Aside from that, I like the "edginess" of this design .. much more aggressive looking than the C6.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasta
I'm not sure who RIA is or who funds them, but they don't work for GM or Corvette.

Here's an excerpt I found.

The Revitalization in Action team has given us dream lineups for Pontiac, Saturn, Saab and Buick in the past, and now it is Chevy's turn to be transformed by GMInsideNews members ChevroletRevived and Fbodyrules. As before, the RIA lineup for Chevy includes a makeover of the brand's entire lineup, including new models not yet for sale like the Beat sub-compact and Volt. Also included are a couple of models not even scheduled for production like a mid-size luxury hardtop convertible named the Bel-Air, a sports wagon called the Nomad, a long-wheelbase version of the Malibu called the Caprice, and finally, a Chevelle Concept based on the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform and positioned as a sort of Impala coupe.

Folks, the site that posted that is a forum just like this is. Here is what it says about the forum...

"GMInsideNews.com is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or any GM Divisions in any capacity.
GMInsideNews.com is an enthusiasts' forum dedicated entirely to news about GM vehicles."

I hope nobody thinks that they are reading some sort of official GM press release.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Things is all these renderings are based around the current car. My guess is it'll be a clean sheet design, meaning a few Corvette cues here and there (variation on the taillights, etc), but probably nothing like these drawings.

Gimme a break...an SS Corvette? LOL.

RMX
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Forget the styling for a minute - I hope GM really works on these key elements more so than styling because regardless GM hasn't really gotten the design wrong in the last 50+ years.

- Chassis - C4-C6 was always excellent on paper but go for more balance...Don't dilute the dynamics rather refine it...lets have a more involving chassis, a confidence inspiring, hooligan renegade. A car that you can go out and set eye popping times that is always rewarding and exciting - thats Ferrari and Lambo status and won't be easy, however this is crucial for the Corvette since it's consistent handling weak point has always been a numb chassis.

- Interior - GM has been pumping out some decent cabins and gadgets lately and even some greats (CTS) so I'm not too worried about it. However they always seem a generation behind when it comes to the build quality and looks. Seems like the interior of the C6 should have been in the C5 generation and the C5 interior seems like it should have been in the C4 mid life cycle somehow. But whatever, besides the point! All they need is the team from the CTS interior project to handle the C7 and be done with it!

- Price and practicality - Was always the strong point no arguing there. But lets not make that the Vette's strong hold or justification. Let that be the icing on the cake, cherry on top! Let's make sure its a fantastic car at any price point!

- Design - Corvettes always had a familiar look, always a sweeping body. A universal sexy if you will. Evolution is the way to go...Porsche does it, Ferrari does it, Lambo even. Corvette's haven't radically changed the design theme or profile since forever and that's fine. But lets keep it modern, you can always tie any design cue to the past for marketing purposes but keep it MODERN. No retro grill or gimmick here or heritage montage of gills and stripes there...lets move on, not forgetting the past but looking towards the future!

- Engine - I would love to see what a Small Block V8 DI VVT engine would perform or look like! Maybe go down in displacement and turbo charge it? And I say that for the sole purpose of appealing to European markets that tax on displacement regardless of actual fuel economy. Lower the emissions and set the power goal to 450-500 Horsepower for the base car and what an engine!

Not sure if I missed anything else, but here's hoping to a much, much better C7. A C7 that will blow our minds and shut the critics up once and for all

Last edited by niteriderc5; 12-11-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Conjecture and dreams.......who even knows if Corvette will exist in a few years?
The pics are nice....subtle changes by being evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Not really the C7, actually not even a GM design. Not quite there on the options and the timeline is not even close. Other than that, interesting article.
Anybody who's been around a while will know right away that the picture has been seen before.2011 is not the release date,and GM said that a while back.The roof on this car is hideous.I'll keep enjoying my c6 436 HP mz6 Z51 until the next one come along,then we'll see.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Thanks for the clarity JSCHINDLER. Seemed to be an attempt at making folks think it was real GM info. With the focus GM has now of just surviving, I'd not hold my breath waiting for the C7.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BSE1956
Conjecture and dreams.......who even knows if Corvette will exist in a few years?
The pics are nice....subtle changes by being evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Well aren't you a negative Nancy...is there any legit reason why you'd even conjure an idea like that?

The world ending in 2012 is a better argument from keeping the next gen Corvette from being built. So I'd love to hear you thoughts on this
Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
Thanks for the clarity JSCHINDLER. Seemed to be an attempt at making folks think it was real GM info. With the focus GM has now of just surviving, I'd not hold my breath waiting for the C7.
Oh yeah...poor ol GM in the S3it hole broke like the joke it is. RIP C7

But seriously there is believe it or not enough smart people at GM to know that the Corvette is worth keeping around. Not NObama, not the Auto tisk force, or GM's new CEO will keep Corvette from existing in the near future. Again, speculation on the world ending in '12 has a better chance at it...\
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
- Engine - I would love to see what a Small Block V8 DI VVT engine would perform or look like! Maybe go down in displacement and turbo charge it? And I say that for the sole purpose of appealing to European markets that tax on displacement regardless of actual fuel economy. Lower the emissions and set the power goal to 450-500 Horsepower for the base car and what an engine!

But...

What happened to the "Pelosi" engine lineup with smaller displacement for the Vette? Isn't this Govenment Motors we're talking about?? Was the last King the LS9 ZR1? I'm sure Pelosi would love to see the end of the Vette...or even better....a hybrid!

Get notified of new replies

To What's on the drawing board at Chevrolet, and a look at the REAL C7.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I like the front end, would hope they would change the back end as well. I would also hope they would give more of a bump in HP for the C7. Interesting picture and article but we will have to wait and see what happens in the real world of GM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I would hope GM installs a MCT type transmission or a Dual clutch...

otherwise I'll hold onto my 08 Coupe.

Power should be up about 8 percent with direct injection on the 6.2 ls3 as long as they don't downsize it to 5.5 liters..(on base coupe)
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I would hope GM installs a MCT type transmission or a Dual clutch...

otherwise I'll hold onto my 08 Coupe.

Power should be up about 8 percent with direct injection on the 6.2 ls3 as long as they don't downsize it to 5.5 liters..(on base coupe)
I say let GM throw in a 5.5l V8 DI but add in a twin turbo system on minimum boost to keep it around 450-500 out the box. Imagine the potential tuning capabilities

Quick Reply: What's on the drawing board at Chevrolet, and a look at the REAL C7.