Sponsored by:

revolutionary..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default revolutionary..

I am not sure GM is revolutionary enough to go to new technologies with the next generation or two of Vettes but they really ought to. When you look at it, the Vettes are still pretty heavy sports cars at 3200 pounds now down a paltry 250 pounds from the 1960's. Back then the hp for a small block was 141 hp per ton (the hp and the weight it needs to move) and a big block was something like 180 sae net per ton. The 2011 6.2 litre 430 hp is a very respectable 268 hp per ton.

But, if you want to make serious change and keep performance up especially if you are close to tapping out h.p. gains on V8's then the logical thing to work at it seems to me would be...do something about the weight...get rid of lots of it.

If you made the total car 2400 pounds instead of 3200 you'd only need 320 hp to get the same 268 hp/ton power. That's easily in the range of good turbo v6's now and easily small high revving v8's.

Revolution I would suggest will have to be to get the weight down dramatically, like 20% or more then power it up appropriately. Less engine, smaller tranny or better yet a tranny without mechanical gears and less linkages.

I remain very surprised at the little weight change relatively from my 76 vette to the 2011. Change that and you can start changing the entire equation. Frame, body, seating, accessories, engine size, trans and rear end, etc. all are choices.

Any engineers out there who are more knowledgable? I'm just speculating and doing basic math on it.

Lance P.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 PM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corvette has actually done well to have lost weight over the years. Most sports cars have gained weight. There aren't very many sports cars (and ever fewer supercars) that weigh less than a C6 these days with all of the safety requirements. We know that the C7 will be a smaller Vette, but getting the weight much below 3000 lbs will require losing some creature comforts and cargo space. It would probably be harder to get in and out of as well. I don't know if you noticed, but most new Corvette buyers are old and fat. I don't think they want a smaller car, even if we do.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If Chevrolet wants to success selling the next generation Corvette - C7; it all about styling, looks and how the interior looks and feels. I end up comparing the Corvette with cars that are much above it price range that are roadsters like the California which I really like. It is a Ferrari if you do not know what a California is. Since I consider the Corvette a bargain. If it is price close to the current C6 and just makes improvements on the interior alone; and maybe an automatic for the higher performance models too; it should do very well.

If GM has a DCT for the C7; and it is fawless; they should have a majority of the roadster market maybe worldwide in time. I talking 30% and 50% in the U.S.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im interested in what you think is, or ever was, considered a low weight for a production sports car? Either motortrend or road and track did an article on future sports cars. They have some interesting graphs about weight, hp, this and that and whats projected in the future(obviously future projections are complete crap). You'll note the only car that doesnt gain weight, and has lost a tiny amount of weight, is the vette. Every car nowadays has to have all sorts of crash safty, more and more air bags, more cushiony interior(sadly sometimes) and it all adds weight. 12 air bags weigh more then 2. The corvette keeps gaining power through the years, but stays the same weight. While other cars gain hp but may cut a pound or two or in most cases, gain a hundred pounds each new model.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
I am not sure GM is revolutionary enough to go to new technologies with the next generation or two of Vettes but they really ought to. When you look at it, the Vettes are still pretty heavy sports cars at 3200 pounds now down a paltry 250 pounds from the 1960's.
I think you have it backwards. That the Corvette is now 250 lbs lighter than it was from the 1960's is exceptional. The engine and frame/body are very light and that's even before you consider the power the car has. Look at the weights of the Japanese and European cars of the 1960s compared to what their versions are now (absolute pigs by comparison). Today's market is more demanding than ever: emissions, safety, and the luxury conveniences that more and more people require.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My 61 Corvette weighs 3040 lbs. The Corvettes prior to that were under 3,000 lbs. The new cars really aren't lighter despite the use of aluminum frames, balsa wood floors and some carbon fiber. The problem with the newer Vettes is all the "must have" options that add to the car's weight. I am confident they will get the weight down and keep the performance levels up.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

I still believe that to be revolutionarily new they will have to get the weight way down. All the other things are the reasons we are the way we are in cars and aren't revolutionary but evolutionary. Someone will figure it out eventually and be a winner in my view.

I just looked up Ford's engines and with hardly looking they are now selling a 3.5 liter, twin turbo v 6 with 365 horsepower. Now.

Lance
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 2400 pounds, you are no longer talking about a vette, but an Elise, instead. Don't get me wrong, the Elise/Exige is a fantastic car... But if that's what you want, buy that. Don't expect the Corvettes, Astons, and Ferraris of the world to change that drastically.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Guibo
I think you have it backwards. That the Corvette is now 250 lbs lighter than it was from the 1960's is exceptional. The engine and frame/body are very light and that's even before you consider the power the car has. Look at the weights of the Japanese and European cars of the 1960s compared to what their versions are now (absolute pigs by comparison). Today's market is more demanding than ever: emissions, safety, and the luxury conveniences that more and more people require.

The fact that it is even close to what it was in the '60s is amazing. Government mandated emissions and safety have caused all cars to gain weight. Luxury items add even more weight. If you think I am kidding take a look at the weights of econoboxes from the past to now.

A Chevy Chevette is about the same size as an Aveo, but the Aveo weighs 400lbs more. Both base models are no frills models and the Chevette is much lighter.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by LancePearson
I still believe that to be revolutionarily new they will have to get the weight way down. All the other things are the reasons we are the way we are in cars and aren't revolutionary but evolutionary. Someone will figure it out eventually and be a winner in my view.

I just looked up Ford's engines and with hardly looking they are now selling a 3.5 liter, twin turbo v 6 with 365 horsepower. Now.

Lance
How much do you think a Twin Turbo V6 weights? A twin turbo system easily adds 125lbs to the weight of the car engine. Do you think that combo is significantly lighter than the LS3?

Last edited by chaase; 07-19-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To revolutionary..

Quick Reply: revolutionary..