Sponsored by:

C7, best data as of June 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Default C7, best data as of June 2011

Every time a new generation of Corvette is coming it's fun to speculate about all the wild possibilities. But after much research and separating educated guesses from insider knowledge, here is the most reliable prediction:

- Currently it looks like production will start in June 2013
as a 2014 model.

- C7 engine is a direct injection 5.5 liter V8 with cylinder
shut-off, goal is 440 hp, 20 mpg city, 35 mpg highway.

- Z06 will have the 5.5 liter with an Eaton supercharger, the
smaller 1900 as used on CTS-V and ZL1, not the 2300 ZR1
unit. (No plans for a ZR1 model at this time).

- All models will get an aluminum frame built in-house at
Bowling Green (up until now Z06/ZR1 frames have been
built by Dana Corporation in Hopkinsville KY).

- A 6-speed dual-clutch transmission is planned, unsure of
the source or if it will be available at start of production

- There will be a large touch screen but many functions
will be controlled by a central menu/select ****. There
will be a better-integrated voice activation system,
similar to Ford's Sync system.

- More weight saving aluminum and carbon fiber parts,
including the removable targa roof panel.

- More carbon fiber interior panels and leather, and far
better seats. A very nice interior.

- Styling is reminiscent of the concept Stingray and
Sideswipe movie cars from the side but front and
rear are more traditional Corvette, headlights similar
to C6 and round taillights.

- Interior and exterior lighting is L.E.D.

- Much of GM's $131 million investment in Bowling
Green will go to upgrading the plant to build the new
aluminum frame and to add stations to build right-
hand-drive versions to increase Corvette sales
worldwide.

All "speculation" of course. Does anyone have more
facts to add?

Last edited by ZL-1; 06-25-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Speculation at this point, yes, but does sound entirely reasonable.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id be surprised if the C7 Z06 had a SC. That just kills the ZR1 line for future editions.
How would you move to the C8, take away the SC on the Z06, and introduce the ZR1 without a lot of scratched heads. Unless they think two SC editions, which would have to make the next ZR1 a big leap everywhere else to warrant the extra dollars.
Now a V10 in that line up for the top-dog..now that makes sense....very excitable sense.

If they're going down the DCT route, it would have to be introduced at the beginning of the line. A major change like that couldn't appear in the middle without a model number designation change surely.
It could however be used on the Z06/ZR1 only, and not the base models keeping the entire range in someones budget?

The potential of the new car is enough that I'm seriously considering not buying a C6 GS, just to see how much of this C7 speculation comes to life, as long as the price stays the same and within reach.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I highly doubt the Z06 is going to have a blower. The Z06 is the track version(or closest to it afterall).
Old 06-18-2011, 07:46 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Sounds about right
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

If that's what it is, I'll keep what I have.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM
zer0t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I've read more than one article that say 3.x liter twin turbo cars with 10k RPM.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zer0t
I've read more than one article that say 3.x liter twin turbo cars with 10k RPM.
So where is this engine coming from? Considering I've never heard of GM having an engine with the characteristics people are talking about. And do you know how unrealistic a 10k rpm redline is with a street car? The S2000 had 9k rpms with the first engines, then that dropped to 8k rpms with the 2.2liter version.

GM already has a 5.5liter engine from the Le Mans series racing to bring to the streets, but where is this 3.X liter Twin Turbo engine coming from? Are they pulling it out of thin air?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I didn't claim to be an expert but I read this. Perhaps they can innovate a bit.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-3-0-liter-v-8

http://www.speedluxs.com/549/2013-ch...e-30-liter-v8/

I have others on my iPhone where there were comments about the buyer being different, GM wanting to compete with European cars like Porsche, etc..

It's also supposed to OHC.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 PM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

From the Yahoo article:
The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...ving-turbo-v8/

http://www.corvettenewsblog.com/tag/c7-corvette-engine/

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html

And this is from the forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...rbo-v-8-a.html

Last edited by zer0t; 06-18-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
ALLANB
Pro

I think NA is fine for the base c6 and grand sport engine if there is still a grand sport. I think NA is fine for the c7 z06 as long as its still a big NA engine like current c7. It is so easy to crank up the current engine to 550 or 600 hp with just some fairly minor tweaking. Better heads,bit more cam, bit more aggressive tune. The current z06 is already dynoing higher than the 505 rated hp. Think around 530 or so typically. The zr1 could stay supercharged or turbocharged ,twin turboed possibly.

But to me the big 7.0 litre LS7 is the main reason went with z06 and not the faster but way pricier zr1.A blower on the ls7 and you have same or more power for way way less money. Sure you don't get the carbon fiber stuff which looks pretty but can be impractical in the real and don't do much at all for performance. You get bigger better brakes but really except on track hardly need them.

But off the subject. I hope the c7 z06 stays with a big cube NA engine. I do hope to see improvements in the nav, stereo, interior. And I think the stingray concept car looks great just use manual or faster doors.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I didn't claim to be an expert but I read this. Perhaps they can innovate a bit.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-3-0-liter-v-8

I have others on my iPhone where there were comments about the buyer being different, GM wanting to compete with European cars like Porsche, etc..

It's also supposed to OHC.
From the Yahoo article:
The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...ving-turbo-v8/

http://www.corvettenewsblog.com/tag/c7-corvette-engine/

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html

And this is from the forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...rbo-v-8-a.html
Those all originate in a BS article from the detroit bureau. This 3.xL TT motor will not happen people. Get over it.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Those all originate in a BS article from the detroit bureau. This 3.xL TT motor will not happen people. Get over it.
Care to share your insight and who you know at GM that has validated there will be no engine like this? Everything I have read indicates that the goal for the new Corvette is to be a car that can and will play with existing super cars, how many of those cars have high revving small displacement engines? However,there is talk of multiple engine availability, which makes perfect sense to me consider what we currently have in the C6. It appears GM is trying to forward think and provide a car that can deliver performance that is at least on par with the current Corvette, but do that in a far more fuel efficient manner. No doubt the car will be better, more advanced, more efficient and will deliver the performance that is the signature statement for the Corvette.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:48 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Care to share your insight and who you know at GM that has validated there will be no engine like this? Everything I have read indicates that the goal for the new Corvette is to be a car that can and will play with existing super cars, how many of those cars have high revving small displacement engines? However,there is talk of multiple engine availability, which makes perfect sense to me consider what we currently have in the C6. It appears GM is trying to forward think and provide a car that can deliver performance that is at least on par with the current Corvette, but do that in a far more fuel efficient manner. No doubt the car will be better, more advanced, more efficient and will deliver the performance that is the signature statement for the Corvette.
You guys are going to be sorely disappointed. Name one high performance engine on the road right now, that can do everything our current LSX motors can do(Short of revving to 10k rpms)? There is no advantage at this current time, to go to a 3.X liter engine in a corvette.

My insight comes from my personal experience with imports(Twin turbo Rotary, 4cyl turbo, inline 6cyl turbo, etc). Incase you haven't noticed, cars like the Nissan Z, GT-R, LFA etc, have all been going to larger displacement engines. Why would GM go to a displacement that is HALF of it's current line-up? Especially when it has a 5.5liter V8 to use from Le Mans?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
There are MANY threads in this section with posts by people who are smarter than I at engine building that have dissected the article from detroit bureau.

the engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke....The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs
How many long stroke OHC engines do you know of that are turbocharged and spin to 10k rpm. How many of those engines are found in a $50k sports car? Where and when did GM find the time and money to research and build this magic motor? Common sense man.

As far as the vette "playing with existing super cars" I've got news for ya, it already does with current technology.

As far as CAFE is concerned, the MPG target is across the entire fleet of offerings. If GM sells enough cruzes, volts, etc, the corvette can afford to keep current mpg ratings and be just fine.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

We're probably just wasting our time with these people Jeff. They're the same kind who believes the next Corvette will be AWD, Mid-Engine, DST, etc. With no facts to back it up.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I don't believe any of these things....we will know for sure when something official comes. However, low displacement big turbo like the GTR makes 530 HP for less than money than a z06 and does 0-60 in 3.3 and it's a porky car. You also have to consider fleet mileage requirements.

I don't car which direction they go as long as the car survives, looks bad *** and remains the iconic American sports car.

Get notified of new replies

To C7, best data as of June 2011

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default How?

I don't believe any of these things....we will know for sure when something official comes. However, low displacement big turbo like the GTR makes 530 HP for less than money than a z06 and does 0-60 in 3.3 and it's a porky car. You also have to consider fleet mileage requirements.

I don't car which direction they go as long as the car survives, looks bad *** and remains the iconic American sports car.
I suppose it has to do with the rate of exchange or losing money on every car they sell, but there's no way the GTR engine can be built for less cost then a current Corvette NA. The same holds for the Corvette chassis vs the GTR.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
I suppose it has to do with the rate of exchange or losing money on every car they sell, but there's no way the GTR engine can be built for less cost then a current Corvette NA. The same holds for the Corvette chassis vs the GTR.
There will be a lot more corvettes than Gtr's. If you only need 400 to be in the baseline, that shouldn't be hard with a small 8 turbo car. Now the z06 etc maybe they go with cubes. Who knows but the speculation is certainly why we are here.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
You guys are going to be sorely disappointed. Name one high performance engine on the road right now, that can do everything our current LSX motors can do(Short of revving to 10k rpms)? There is no advantage at this current time, to go to a 3.X liter engine in a corvette.

My insight comes from my personal experience with imports(Twin turbo Rotary, 4cyl turbo, inline 6cyl turbo, etc). Incase you haven't noticed, cars like the Nissan Z, GT-R, LFA etc, have all been going to larger displacement engines. Why would GM go to a displacement that is HALF of it's current line-up? Especially when it has a 5.5liter V8 to use from Le Mans?
As I said in my first post, I believe there will be several engines offered including the 5.5 as you have stated, but there is an advantage to smaller displacement engine on several fronts. First, if this is to be a true global car that GM wants to sell as a global platform, then the car can not be based solely on what us Americans like. The car must appeal to all target markets. In Europe, a V8 in not the norm, high revving four cylinders and even some three cylinders are.

The Nissan and Toyota's you mentioned have a primary target market and that is here. The reason is because we (the US market) accept the fuel mileage these cars get as more than acceptable considering the gas guzzling SUV's and Trucks we are used to. However, gas prices in Europe are $5-$6 a liter last time I checked, so most there want the most fuel efficient car they can get and that includes a "sports car". Check and see what percentage of these cars you mentioned sell in Europe compared to the US if you don't believe me.

If GM can produce a sports car that has acceptable fuel efficiency, they have a far better chance of success in the European market. Back in the 80's when I was in Europe, one of the coolest cars I was able to experience was an Alfa Romeo GTV 8, this car had a very small high revving V8 by our standards and was a blast to drive. If I could have brought that car back, I would still have it. There is an advantage to a high revving small displacement V8 for a global car, especially if GM intends to market this car as they have stated.

Quick Reply: C7, best data as of June 2011