Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automotive News: Next Corvette to aim for younger buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an easy sell. Popular young star/starlet + popular media form (movie/TV) + Corvette = Success.

It worked for the Vette using astronauts in the '60s and for the Camaro just recently in the Transformer movie series. The younger crowd is easily influenced.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
Yeah, but he never drove the S7, the Cobra, or his hotrod. What did you see? You saw the Audi R8 tearing around some roads at the very beginning of the movie, and then more tire pealing fun from it at various points throughout the movie. The SHIELD agents drove Audis, I couldn't tell if they were RS6s, or S8s...they weren't in the scene for very long.
I'm not sure which one you're talking about but in the second movie, the SHIELD agents are driving Acuras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87DCjWd5WUM
You're right, he didn't drive the S7 or the Cobra or his hotrod. Tony Stark, being the cutting edge kind of guy he is, doesn't want to be seen in something so relatively ancient. The same image problem affects the Corvette, and it's not all down to marketing. My point is that Iron Man is not the Audifest that you described.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by EBVette
You bring up a good question and I will attempt to answer it based on my experienced talking to some of the younger people in the Northern Virginia area, specifically at Cruise Night at the Chick Filla in Dulles, VA. Because before this post was ever made I was very curious on why it seems a majority of younger generation have no interest in buying Corvetts (Younger Generation to me is between 19-35 years old) . I specifically talked to several people in there late 20's who purchased the Nissan 350Z. I talked to some others who purchased the Mitsabishi Eclips (Spyder), older Mercedes SLKs and a couple who purchased older Z3 BMWs. Remember I live here in Northern VA where there seems to be plenty of money with these kids... I know a 18 year old whose Dad bought him a Mercedes AMG for High School Graduation, and another one, her Dad bought her a brand new Porsche Boxer....so I asked them with the others about why they did not want a Corvette,,,,

It is interesting to note, what we call a Sports Car, they also use the same for what we call Sport Sedans, like the Honda's, Toyota, and Nissan sedans that they modify (ricers). But some did like the new Cruise, WRX, and older Cavalier Z series cars. Even talked to people with customized Mini Coopers....

All tell me the same things:

1. Never thought of the Corvette as its too expensive, and they were brought up with their parents owning Hondas etc.

2. They want to personilize their cars and if the bought even a used Vette they would not have the money to do it.

3. They tell me nobody would spend over $35K for a Sports Car, and the Corvette is way out of their league.

4. Several who own Sport Sedans told me the same thing about buying a Vette, they are not into spead but into video and audio equipment and a Vette is just too small to have a big As5 System with amps, power supplies and speakers...

5 The young girl with the Boxer told me outrite, its too big and hard for me to drive, and I want a car that better then American junk.....she said futher to me, "Did you ever sit in a new Corvette, the seats and interior are just cheap, I know because I took one out for a test drive and it did not compare to the Boxer, they cost the same and I feel much saver in my Boxer."

6. Several told me they would buy a Camaro or Mustang before a Corvette, because only old people buy Corvettes. Others stated the Camaro and Mustang have back seats and the Corvette just does not have the room for the "Stuff".

7. Talked to one guy with one of those "Soul" cars that look like boxes, he simply said, "Corvettes are just not cool, its not about the motor its about the vibs from the stereo that makes what a new car should be about, it the show and the vibs, not the power and performance."

One interesting thing that I heard from most of the younger guys and gals was they love looking at Corvettes, but the connect it with the older generation and they want their own car for their generation and it happens to be ricers..... I even hade one guy tell me that Japanese cars are much better then German cars because the German cars are very hard to work on and limited with parts and accessories.

So, I really do not fault them, in a way I admire them, they are building, buying and driving what they were brought up with. They use their cars for something different then we do. We are more geared for performance driving, they are more into cruising with music....not all but most I talked to even said this, "Even if a Corvette is built that would be in our price range, it still would not sell because we do not RELATE to the Corvette era, we are in a different then the old muscle cars.

Its funny because all love the old muscle cars and older sports cars, but would never give up what they have to have one.

I hope GM does their homework on this..... I found it very interesting talking to a lot of those guys... OK so that is NOT ALL their generation and I know many own Corvettes, but I specifically talked to the people with the Hondas etc.... Just interesting, take some time at the next cruise night and told to these guys, they will tell you like it is....So don't shoot the messenger here, I am only posting what I was told be these guys and gals.

I have heard similar comments from the younger generation. GM has to realize that the Corvette is a niche market and not a mass market car. It does not have the broad appeal of the Mustang & Camaro.

Trying to mass market the Corvette to a younger generation in an attempt to replace the older owners at this stage of the game is too little to late. GM has to find a way to market the Corvette so that children growing up now will want one just as we did when we were younger!

Having just read some of GM's new agreement with the union, it looks as if GM has not learned any lessons after it's bail out..
I just pray that its management does not totally blow it once again!

Last edited by Tommy D; 09-20-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first C5 at age 18...I plan to keep my Vettes and continue to buy new ones so yes I agree I am the future...THey need to appeal to my age group - I found Z06 buyers are a younger group than say coupes or Verts..heck even the ZR1

My take on it is build a sub $50k sports car that has the performance, looks, feel and quality of the best europe has been offering us for the longest time. It sounds eay but I know it isn't which is why I have appreciated Corvettes all this time...they offer excellent value for money howver the compromises are apparent. But the bar has been raised and is higher than it has ever been so there has to be a no excuse quality interior and SEATS!!! They know performance, they dont know quality. I dont want rattles or creaks in my new C7...I dont want a locking column going bad or any other issues that carried over from C5 to C6.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Calm down old geasers. I'm 26 my friend is 24 and my other friend is 25. We all have modified C6 Z06's. Time's are changing and it's time to move on lol Young people now a days are getting jobs that pay over 100k. No we are not rich just regular folks who land some good jobs. besided 06 z06 run for mid 30's which anybody can afford. Who wants mine? Ill sell it. Just kidding on the old geaser part lol But really who wants my vette? Time to move on. `
Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

It's "geezer", not "geaser".
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guibo
I'm not sure which one you're talking about but in the second movie, the SHIELD agents are driving Acuras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87DCjWd5WUM
You're right, he didn't drive the S7 or the Cobra or his hotrod. Tony Stark, being the cutting edge kind of guy he is, doesn't want to be seen in something so relatively ancient. The same image problem affects the Corvette, and it's not all down to marketing. My point is that Iron Man is not the Audifest that you described.
Jesus christ, dude. You got something to get off your chest, or do you just like to ****ing argue? Go ****ing watch the first Iron Man. It's an Audi fest. There is more audi product placement in that movie than rice burners in the entire fast and furious franchise. R8 is the main car, and has more screen time than half the cast of the movie. Audis all over the highway scenes. He rescues a family in an Audi SUV, who then punches the gas, and we see an Audi SUV doing a BURNOUT, before mowing Iron Man down. The SHIELD agents drive audis, hell the only car that had a decent amount of screen time that WASN'T an audi was the hummer he rode in the beginning of the movie.

Listen, you like argue, that's fine, but leave me out of it. You wanna single me out for ****, do yourself a favor, and go look at some **** for a few minutes, to get it outa your system. Everything I post, you got something to say about. Well, I'm telling you now, back the **** off, please.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
KevinK
Drifting

To be honest, I was was never into vettes when I was young. My dream car at the age of, like, 16-20 was either a 1st gen camaro, pref the '69, or an early 70's mustang mach one. I didn't care too much about performance, I just loved the way they looked. It wasn't until college that I actually road in a 73' mach one, and then started to care about performance, lol. That was when the first Fast and Furious movie came out, but to be honest, even before that movie, I was playing Gran Turismo on play station. And if anyone has ever played the earlier verisons of that game, you'll know there is a HEAVY bias towards Japanese cars in it. Huge selection of them as opposed to just a couple of american cars, most of which were muscle cars that didn't handle for **** in the game, a smattering of german cars, that handled better, and then some weird stuff from other countries. By far and large, though, the best cars in the game were all Japanese. You could take a japanese car, and even though it weighted more, and had less power, somehow it would manage to both out accelerate, and out handle all the other cars, and of those, the best were AWD. Hell, that game put the then unheard of Nissan Skyline on the map. And that, I think, is where this AWD craze comes from STILL today. You play a game like Forza 3 on Xbox, and there is a HEAVY bias in that game towards AWD. Simply put, they are the best cars in the game. You can make non AWD cars into AWD cars, in some cases, and all of a sudden, you've got a race car.

More food for thought.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRBob
It's "geezer", not "geaser".
I figured. The word just didn't look right. It's okay though it's justified. I'm just a young kid
Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
You bring up a good question and I will attempt to answer it based on my experienced talking to some of the younger people in the Northern Virginia area, specifically at Cruise Night at the Chick Filla in Dulles, VA. Because before this post was ever made I was very curious on why it seems a majority of younger generation have no interest in buying Corvetts (Younger Generation to me is between 19-35 years old) . I specifically talked to several people in there late 20's who purchased the Nissan 350Z. I talked to some others who purchased the Mitsabishi Eclips (Spyder), older Mercedes SLKs and a couple who purchased older Z3 BMWs. Remember I live here in Northern VA where there seems to be plenty of money with these kids... I know a 18 year old whose Dad bought him a Mercedes AMG for High School Graduation, and another one, her Dad bought her a brand new Porsche Boxer....so I asked them with the others about why they did not want a Corvette,,,,

It is interesting to note, what we call a Sports Car, they also use the same for what we call Sport Sedans, like the Honda's, Toyota, and Nissan sedans that they modify (ricers). But some did like the new Cruise, WRX, and older Cavalier Z series cars. Even talked to people with customized Mini Coopers....

All tell me the same things:

1. Never thought of the Corvette as its too expensive, and they were brought up with their parents owning Hondas etc.

2. They want to personilize their cars and if the bought even a used Vette they would not have the money to do it.

3. They tell me nobody would spend over $35K for a Sports Car, and the Corvette is way out of their league.

4. Several who own Sport Sedans told me the same thing about buying a Vette, they are not into spead but into video and audio equipment and a Vette is just too small to have a big As5 System with amps, power supplies and speakers...

5 The young girl with the Boxer told me outrite, its too big and hard for me to drive, and I want a car that better then American junk.....she said futher to me, "Did you ever sit in a new Corvette, the seats and interior are just cheap, I know because I took one out for a test drive and it did not compare to the Boxer, they cost the same and I feel much saver in my Boxer."

6. Several told me they would buy a Camaro or Mustang before a Corvette, because only old people buy Corvettes. Others stated the Camaro and Mustang have back seats and the Corvette just does not have the room for the "Stuff".

7. Talked to one guy with one of those "Soul" cars that look like boxes, he simply said, "Corvettes are just not cool, its not about the motor its about the vibs from the stereo that makes what a new car should be about, it the show and the vibs, not the power and performance."

One interesting thing that I heard from most of the younger guys and gals was they love looking at Corvettes, but the connect it with the older generation and they want their own car for their generation and it happens to be ricers..... I even hade one guy tell me that Japanese cars are much better then German cars because the German cars are very hard to work on and limited with parts and accessories.

So, I really do not fault them, in a way I admire them, they are building, buying and driving what they were brought up with. They use their cars for something different then we do. We are more geared for performance driving, they are more into cruising with music....not all but most I talked to even said this, "Even if a Corvette is built that would be in our price range, it still would not sell because we do not RELATE to the Corvette era, we are in a different then the old muscle cars.

Its funny because all love the old muscle cars and older sports cars, but would never give up what they have to have one.

I hope GM does their homework on this..... I found it very interesting talking to a lot of those guys... OK so that is NOT ALL their generation and I know many own Corvettes, but I specifically talked to the people with the Hondas etc.... Just interesting, take some time at the next cruise night and told to these guys, they will tell you like it is....So don't shoot the messenger here, I am only posting what I was told be these guys and gals.
Its cuz they cant afford it at the time. I doubt anyone of them would turn down a new corvette for free in return for their Soul. You can video/audio buff a vette almost as much as any car if you want. They all said, it, too much money. If its not about performance then why do they all have the ricer muffler to sound like they have performance and try and race everyone?

The Bugatti is nice and all but I wouldnt want one over my vette. LOL.

Last edited by S'vette; 09-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by S'vette
Its cuz they cant afford it at the time. I doubt anyone of them would turn down a new corvette for free in return for their Soul. You can video/audio buff a vette almost as much as any car if you want. They all said, it, too much money. If its not about performance then why do they all have the ricer muffler to sound like they have performance and try and race everyone?

The Bugatti is nice and all but I wouldnt want one over my vette. LOL.
You kidding? That car would be my retirement plan, lol!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

To be honest, I was was never into vettes when I was young. .................., I was playing Gran Turismo on play station. And if anyone has ever played the earlier verisons of that game, you'll know there is a HEAVY bias towards Japanese cars in it. Huge selection of them as opposed to just a couple of american cars, most of which were muscle cars that didn't handle for **** in the game, a smattering of german cars, that handled better, and then some weird stuff from other countries. By far and large, though, the best cars in the game were all Japanese. You could take a japanese car, and even though it weighted more, and had less power, somehow it would manage to both out accelerate, and out handle all the other cars, and of those, the best were AWD. Hell, that game put the then unheard of Nissan Skyline on the map. ..................

More food for thought.
YUP

Video games another good point, just add toys too! My wife teaches kindergarten, it is very interesting how advertising affects what children like. Most five year old children have computers, cell phones & etc. They play computer games, see moves and watch TV. The toy and computer game companies know this and advertise accordingly.

Over the years my wife has noticed children talking in terms of “needing” rather than “wanting” a particular toy or item. The advertising companies have created a “need” for their product in their target market group (in this case young children). I imagine this is accomplished by incorporating various characteristics of your product in games, toys & etc…… as sited above.

Yet GM is now thinking about making the Corvette more appealing to younger individuals. A little too late, maybe they finally woke up as the baby boomers are slowly passing on. GM needs to replace those baby boomers and as usual GM is caught sitting on its duff......too little to late. Design, quality upgrades and advertising in the short run are not going to change the perception of the youth market.

GM needs to rethink its market once again ....... it was not that long ago they blew it trying to make a market for the Cadi in Europe!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by PureSwank
Calm down old geasers. I'm 26 my friend is 24 and my other friend is 25. We all have modified C6 Z06's. Time's are changing and it's time to move on lol Young people now a days are getting jobs that pay over 100k. No we are not rich just regular folks who land some good jobs. besided 06 z06 run for mid 30's which anybody can afford. Who wants mine? Ill sell it. Just kidding on the old geaser part lol But really who wants my vette? Time to move on. `
the real trick is keeping those jobs that pay over 100k. Seems like in a bad economy if you aren't superman and a bit lucky it might be foolish to not save every penny just in case...

Where do you get a C6 Z06 for 30K? Not disputing this.. just curious as id assumed they were still in the upper 40's?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

You kidding? That car would be my retirement plan, lol!
I know, thats why I said that. I would love to have one but cant afford it so I would say the same thing those others were saying just cuz I cant have it. I would have to justify having the car I have over the car I want but cant afford.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus christ, dude. You got something to get off your chest, or do you just like to ****ing argue? Go ****ing watch the first Iron Man. It's an Audi fest. There is more audi product placement in that movie than rice burners in the entire fast and furious franchise. R8 is the main car, and has more screen time than half the cast of the movie. Audis all over the highway scenes. He rescues a family in an Audi SUV, who then punches the gas, and we see an Audi SUV doing a BURNOUT, before mowing Iron Man down. The SHIELD agents drive audis, hell the only car that had a decent amount of screen time that WASN'T an audi was the hummer he rode in the beginning of the movie.

Listen, you like argue, that's fine, but leave me out of it. You wanna single me out for ****, do yourself a favor, and go look at some **** for a few minutes, to get it outa your system. Everything I post, you got something to say about. Well, I'm telling you now, back the **** off, please.
Chill the hell out. Just my observation of the movie. Nothing more. I don't say something about everything you post. Quit being paranoid. I haven't insulted you in this thread and am posting within the guidelines. I have the same privelege to post here as anyone else.

Suppose we say Iron Man is an Audifest. That doesn't explain why the Corvette's customer base is so old. Audi didn't just suddenly make its mark as an appealing brand to the younger generation in just the past couple of years that Iron Man was out. I'm not even convinced the R8 demographic is that much younger than the Corvette demographic, but as a product to which younger people can aspire to owning, it definitely has appeal which no doubt isn't lost on GM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with those who feel like AWD should be available <----( key word here). The same way it is on the 911. It should not be the defining factor like it is on a GTR though. The 4wd is functional on the 911 but its not what makes it a great car. Finely tuned chassis and feel is what sets the 911 apart from cars that cost less or more.

To be honest GM has a pretty decent AWD system that they got from Saab. Its called XWD which is similar to Acuras super handling AWD - Cross diagonal power distribution. refine it and offer it on coupes and maybe the ZR1. Keep the Z06 RWD - manual trans only. Corvette needs to look closely at what Porsche does with 911s. They are on the right track, never before has corvette offered such a variety of flavors but adding AWD to the mix will be a big +
Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Lol, UFC light heavy weight Quinton "rampage" Jackson drives an R8. And you hit the nail on the head with your observation about Tony Stark being to sophisticated to be seen in his "yesterday's news" super cars. And I think that is why Audi went with that movie...that is the demographic they want. Successful, but hip young people. Yuppies. I think I get angry in this thread because of the inevitability of the corvette molding into something that appeals to those same people, in order to sell, in order to survive. And right now, the most appealing to that demographic are euro cars. For a corvette to "sell out" so to speak, in order to appeal to those with money, due to a vanishing middle class, and an aging current owner demographic...well, it's just a slap in my face. I feel like the corvette mission statement is being abandoned. And that stinks.

Get notified of new replies

To Automotive News: Next Corvette to aim for younger buyer

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

But what alternative is there for any business but to appeal to the people who buy the products they make? Any other approach is suicidal. The Corvette doesn't have to become a Euro car. It just has to become attractive to people who are currently buying Euro cars.

What is the Corvette mission statement? Is there one?

Last edited by BobRBob; 09-21-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

For those in the North, the Corvette is a 6-7 month car. AWD would at least make it viable to extend somewhat into the poor weather months.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryWild
Today, their are even more people that are in their 30s that are millionaires who are small business people, investment bankers, CPAs and other professionals that could easily afford a $120K car. Of course, the way the Corvette is put together; it is not a daily driver like a Porsche or a GT-R or other similar cars.

Not a daily driver? Are you insane? Take a look at the high mileage C5s and C6s that are hitting the forums. 200-400k miles on many of the original engines. Jimman has 150k on his 2007 Z06. There's a guy with over 400k on his '99 C5.

Do you even own a Corvette yet?

Quick Reply: Automotive News: Next Corvette to aim for younger buyer