Sponsored by:

Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Personally I want my future Corvette to be somewhat "Futuristic". I want GM to have the C7 interior mimic a modern airliner cockpit.
Sort of like this?:

Been there, done that LOL.

You DO know that Corvettes had very futuristic looking, jetfighter style dashboards/cockpits in the past (C4 era), right?
And when they did have that almost everyone (owners and the automotive media alike) complained and even begged GM/Chevrolet/Team Corvette to install some clean, simple analog gauges like ALL of the European cars had.
Now you don't like analog gauges anymore? LOL

Whoever said "you simply can't please everyone" was SO on it.

The 2nd generation C4 dash was better, less video gameish yet still very cockpit style but it still wasn't quite all the way there:

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
If we are against improvement let's pull out our HUD,power windows,a/c, Nav.disk brakes,fuel injection etc. and throw them into a pile in our garages.
For the record, my C6 has neither HUD nor Navigation, and if I can order it as such my C7 won't have it either. But I also know that I'm in the minority there, so I won't ask/expect others to suffer for what very few others don't want or need.
The car still has to be able to sell to the 'non racer' types (which is probably 90%+ of Corvette buyers LOL) or it can no longer exist so from that perspective the A/C and power accessories are basic necessities at this point whether anyone likes them or not.

Originally Posted by HZ3
See these morons have no problem suggesting a car without an Fing AC but God Forbid they install an existing GM technology included in 35k family cars a year and a half after its unveiled...
I personally have to have A/C in my street cars so I can't disagree there.
But, you see no problem with other morons suggesting that a high performance sports car (where weight savings is still a priority) should absolutely include a 36" LCD flat screen surround sound system, espresso maker and refrigerator as standard, that makes more sense?
Porsche, Ferrari and even BMW have offered 'club sport' or bare bones types of models ya know. They were a fortune and sold in limited numbers of course but they did/do exist.

I do agree that the Corvette should have (either as standard or as optional) the exact same interior appointments/technological advances in it as any other sports car in it's price range has (as standard or optional), that's certainly not too much to ask.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Nick DL
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of the Cue system in the car. However, I do not like the idea of a customizable dash. In theory it is a great idea until the system locks up or crashes and then you have no dash. How would I be able to reboot it? Would I need to turn the car off & then back on. As far as the rest of the system, as long as it would integrate with my Android system, that would be great. I would love the customization features over on the typical radio area.

One question I have is how would it work for say Pandora which is net radio? Would I be able to use my current plan through Verizon or would I have to get my minutes at a ridiculously high price through OnStar?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Whats infotainment ?and why do we need it?

I like a tach, a speedo a few other guages..I like the hud and I like the IPOD interface...blue tooth capability would be nice and I'm good to go..

I don't care about my ford touch...my lincoln touch... ..etc...I don't want to listen to emails or texts...etc...I don't really care for that nonsense...while I'm driving...and I don't want to pay for it.

As long as its an option for those that want it...I'm all for it....but for me? Give me PTM5...Give me 480hp.....Give me supportive seats....Give me 3000 lb curb weight along with a dual clutch transmission...

Keep the infotainment for the option list..
Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
HZ3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

I like a tach, a speedo a few other guages..I like the hud and I like the IPOD interface...blue tooth capability would be nice and I'm good to go..

I don't care about my ford touch...my lincoln touch... ..etc...I don't want to listen to emails or texts...etc...I don't really care for that nonsense...while I'm driving...and I don't want to pay for it.

As long as its an option for those that want it...I'm all for it....but for me? Give me PTM5...Give me 480hp.....Give me supportive seats....Give me 3000 lb curb weight along with a dual clutch transmission...

Some of us want to watch telletubbies dvds while going 175 on a sharp turn while listening to awesome techno music honking our horn at mini vans
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Information, check. Entertainment, check. That's infotainment. Maybe you aren't interested in everything it can do, but from the above, you want it.

So a system like CUE that can present driving information effectively for every situation, and make accessing your phone and music easy, is a good thing. Good to go.

.Jinx
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

............ ^ This ^
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Whats infotainment ?and why do we need it?...
You've had it for years. Info about your car and it's surroundings, entertainment is music and radio. Infotainment.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

55 here and I love it! I do think it should be an available option BUT they have to get rid of the Bose speaker system to truly augment the overall impact. If it all works as good as it appears, it would be a shame to ruin the sound using such a lame speaker set - just my opinion...

Quick Reply: Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System