C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will this affect the C7 Motor design?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Thompyt
the bragging rights of offering the first ever 600+ horsepower supercar is definitely something that will get the attention of gearheads around the world
OP, what the hell do you mean here? There are several examples of a "600+ horsepower supercar" in production as we speak.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
OP, what the hell do you mean here? There are several examples of a "600+ horsepower supercar" in production as we speak.
I don't mean anything by it. The article was not produced by me. Thusly the link in the post. Perhaps they were referring to American made.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CH 3 NO 2
Yea, I really don't think the Corvette has much to worry about, this will be the ZL1's problem.
It won't be a problem for the ZL1. What's this got to do with the C7?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Thompyt
I don't mean anything by it. The article was not produced by me. Thusly the link in the post. Perhaps they were referring to American made.
Got it. Yeah didn't follow the link, what a silly statement. The ZR1 is over 600hp and the Viper hit the 600 mark right before its hiatus; oh well. Thanks for the info, but I'm on board with the others that the Corvette will not likely alter anything to deal with this. As long as the base model Corvette accelerates somewhat comparatively to the top Mustang, it will always outperform it in the long race due to better weight distribution, much lower weight, same or slightly larger rubber, and better top-end performance, even with a large power difference.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

The problem may very well be one of GM under estimating Ford

While GM focuses on the foreign competition and replacing the aging baby boomers the local competition (Ford) is serious about improving the Mustang.

Now comparing Mustangs to Corvettes will not be like apples to oranges if the Mustang can perform on par with a Corvette

How many people are going to spend a material amount of money on a Corvette if the Ford Mustang can handle as well if not better with more horsepower power?

GM focusing on changing the appeal of the Corvette to a younger market may find itself with a smaller market if Ford as well as the foreign competition produce a more powerful better handling performance car.

It would be best to make changes to the new C7 prior to its release if it can not handily out class the Mustang as well as its foreign competitors right from the get go
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

How many people are going to spend a material amount of money on a Corvette if the Ford Mustang can handle as well if not better with more horsepower power?
How many people buy Porsches and BMWs and Audis despite Corvette handling as well if not better with more horsepower power?

There has been and must be more to Corvette than quarter-mile and lap times. I think it's a mistake for Corvette to chase the pure-numbers guys; there just aren't enough of them. Most people want a blend of style, luxury, technology, practicality, and performance -- even sports-car buyers, and especially buyers with $50K or more to spend on an automobile. (And even moreso than buyers with $50K to spend on a toy.)

.Jinx
Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 AM
RockIT9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CH 3 NO 2
Yea, I really don't think the Corvette has much to worry about, this will be the ZL1's problem.
even the ZL1 will crush it. Look at the current shelby gt500, 550 hp 0-60 in 4.2
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RockIT9
even the ZL1 will crush it. Look at the current shelby gt500, 550 hp 0-60 in 4.2
I don't really see your point; the CTS-V has similar power, more torque, and similar acceleration, and nobody here has anything bad to say about that. Sure it's heavier (~4200lbs +/- iirc) but it's also more aggressively geared. 4.2 to 60 is a great time for a 3850-pound car, not to mention one under $50k. I'm no Ford guy but come on.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM
RockIT9
Racer

I don't really see your point; the CTS-V has similar power, more torque, and similar acceleration, and nobody here has anything bad to say about that. Sure it's heavier (~4200lbs +/- iirc) but it's also more aggressively geared. 4.2 to 60 is a great time for a 3850-pound car, not to mention one under $50k. I'm no Ford guy but come on.
The CTS-V is not "similar" in acceleration 0-60 in 3.9 and the curb weight is around 4254 lb. mustang hp are always bogus, i don't care if its 650+ hp it will do poorly in the real world. I'm with you on the price it would be a great car if yo see the spec sheet, but i feel being ripped off with those numbers it doesn't deliver what it says on the sheet.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinx
How many people buy Porsches and BMWs and Audis despite Corvette handling as well if not better with more horsepower power?

There has been and must be more to Corvette than quarter-mile and lap times. I think it's a mistake for Corvette to chase the pure-numbers guys; there just aren't enough of them. Most people want a blend of style, luxury, technology, practicality, and performance -- even sports-car buyers, and especially buyers with $50K or more to spend on an automobile. (And even moreso than buyers with $50K to spend on a toy.)

.Jinx
I think you nailed it. This is why they sell to an older crowd. The older crowd probably never races or even drives their car fast. They just want the look, sound and feel, and probably grew up lusting over the older guys who looked cool driving them when they were kids. Now they want to be that guy. More appeal than substance. The Corvette is still a status symbol. Yes, it has a lot of substance also, but as you allude to, that is not all it is about.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by dboz
The older crowd probably never races or even drives their car fast. They just want the look, sound and feel, and probably grew up lusting over the older guys who looked cool driving them when they were kids. Now they want to be that guy. More appeal than substance. The Corvette is still a status symbol. Yes, it has a lot of substance also, but as you allude to, that is not all it is about.
Really? REALLY? You've got cahones, labeling all older Corvette owners posers. Yes, that's what you did. I suggest a quick retraction. Or just go away.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

.Jinx
It's not good at getting the guy trying to buy the best performance car for the money, but I think you hit the nail on the head here. If they want to steal Caymen, M3 and S5 guys, they need to change direction.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You could take sales from the other manufacturors by teaching. As most have found out, there are times at the dealership where the buyer is more informed than the salesman. Let the word out about the car and teach the other brand owners. Like the original post about the upgraded motor for the Mustang encroaching on the Vette. There is knowledge being put out to another audiance. Chevy could take some ideas from this and place the same in the LS series. Direct injection adds MPG and power while keeping it in a small package. With a better suspension in the Vette, this would keep the Vette above par from an evolved Mustang.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

GM can say that Mustang is not competition for Corvette all they want, but it's a fact that a significant part of Corvette's historical appeal has been its "king of the road" level of power. Some traditional Corvette buyers are turned off or feel betrayed when any car that costs less has more horsepower; others are a little more realistic and just get miffed when any car that costs less can beat Corvette from a stoplight. To these people, it's not enough that Corvette looks better, handles better, laps faster, has a better interior. And these people have a point.

And no matter what GM says, they are paying attention to what's under the hood of the hottest Mustangs. What they're not doing is worrying about maintaining parity between the base Corvette and those limited-edition hotrods, or changing their engineering direction to satisfy bench-racing box-checkers.

So I'd say aside from getting filed as another reference to support the case for the higher-spec Corvette engines that were surely already in development, this news doesn't affect the C7 motor design.

But it's always good to hear what the Ford guys are doing. No doubt they build some nice powerplants.

.Jinx
just wanted to quote you for truth!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Endeka
Until the Mustang makes a quantum leap forward in the handling department, it couldn't roll with the Corvette if it had the power plant out of a Veyron SS.
Careful, Endeka, Ford has managed to make the Mustang handle. Some have even called it a quantum leap forward. Check out Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car 2011, for example.
Youre too ****ing funny bro, lol
Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

the current gt500 does that... we are talking about the '13gt500. big changes are coming

The CTS-V is not "similar" in acceleration 0-60 in 3.9 and the curb weight is around 4254 lb. mustang hp are always bogus, i don't care if its 650+ hp it will do poorly in the real world. I'm with you on the price it would be a great car if yo see the spec sheet, but i feel being ripped off with those numbers it doesn't deliver what it says on the sheet.
did you know that the CURRENT GT500 dynos higher than a C6Z06??? hows that for "deliver"
Old 11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
RockIT9
Racer

Originally Posted by 5.4ever

did you know that the CURRENT GT500 dynos higher than a C6Z06??? hows that for "deliver"
as you said in the dyno, it means nothing, now put the car on the street with that 550+ hp 0-60 in 4.2 sec you call that delivering ?

Get notified of new replies

To How will this affect the C7 Motor design?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
the current gt500 does that... we are talking about the '13gt500. big changes are coming

.?

Considering it is rated 45hp more at the crank than the LS7, I would hope it was dynoing higher.

I won't speak for him, but my take on his comment was that he felt the GT500 does not perform as well as he would have expected for a 550hp car, due to the weight, not so much calling out Ford's power claims. The Ford engines are definitely impressive in that respect.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? REALLY? You've got cahones, labeling all older Corvette owners posers. Yes, that's what you did. I suggest a quick retraction. Or just go away.
"Probably" does not equate to "all", it means there is a reasonable chance. That does not mean it is an absolute. I am sure there are some older gear grinders out there, but most just putz along. Sorry, that is just the facts. It may not apply to you specifically, but probably still applies to most if not all like you mention.

I never see any old guys in C6 Corvettes EVER when I go to the drag strip. Young guys in C4 and C5's.....yes. I never see them pass me on the Interstate either. Maybe I live in the wrong area.

I think I will be sticking around, though. I am learning a lot here lately.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

A Mustang is NOT in the same category as a Corvette it is with a Camaro.

Quick Reply: How will this affect the C7 Motor design?