Sponsored by:

GM Inside News: New Details Emerge on the 2014 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aks801
The scenario that so far makes the most sense to me is that the C7 will be an updated car, while the big changes (i.e. soup to nuts) will be the C8, which will follow only a few years after the C7.

Opinions are like.....
Lol wow, I dont think anyone had EVER thought of that...

Thanks Captain obvious lol
Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdhommert
I'm not sure I buy all that. Hasn't it been confirmed, or at least said from exec's, that we are gonna have a 5.5 DI?

Lutz said it will be bold/big change, and gm actually put off the release of the c7 to make sure it was a big/bold enough change, and to do it right

GM said similar things iirc

Im not sure how to take the same platform comment either, unless he means it will be similar
I am sure all of you remember the infamous "your grandmother will be able to tell it is a ZR1" Well to non vette people and a lot of vette people that statement was so untrue it still makes me gag. So, pardon me if I don't believe of word Lutz the putz has to say.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
And yet Bloomberg has a very different take from Maximum Bob -

Via Corvette Blogger & Keith Cornette --
This article has some ominous things for us old Corvette guys, such as: "For the C7 Corvette to break out and sell to a younger generation, GM needs to refashion the Corvette to make it more appealable to younger buyers." Does that mean it will look like the (in my opinion as a classic car nut) awful GTO they put out not long ago (which died quick death) that looked like a Toyota tuner? Or will it have some Infiniti or Lexus touches in the design? I am now thinking I was very wise to buy a 2012 and forget the C7. BTW, when visiting the factory a month or so ago, the rumors said they would only be shutting down the place to retool for the C7 for about a month, way too short to retool for a drastic departure from the C6.

Last edited by mikelj; 11-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

No, it doesn't mean it will look like a Japanese car. Honestly, the imaginations around here... "running wild" doesn't begin to cover it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kelly100
I am sure all of you remember the infamous "your grandmother will be able to tell it is a ZR1" Well to non vette people and a lot of vette people that statement was so untrue it still makes me gag. So, pardon me if I don't believe of word Lutz the putz has to say.
C'mon, granny can see the engine now and it did gain a few side vents.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I regard to the capacitive touch console - that was standard in the aftermarket DVD/Nav headunits back in 2006 - at least that what I have in my earlier model SUV. It would again be a "big error in judgement" to save a $100 and leave the buyer wanting for a current technology that is in every electronics going forward. Windows 8 will be touch screen as well as keyboard like the restaurant computer console.

I would not be surprise since their are still a lot of old management still in GM that love to cut cost and try to fill it with nice ads - give the buyer an inferior product once again.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
This article has some ominous things for us old Corvette guys, such as: "For the C7 Corvette to break out and sell to a younger generation, GM needs to refashion the Corvette to make it more appealable to younger buyers." Does that mean it will look like the (in my opinion as a classic car nut) awful GTO they put out not long ago (which died quick death) that looked like a Toyota tuner? Or will it have some Infiniti or Lexus touches in the design? I am now thinking I was very wise to buy a 2012 and forget the C7. BTW, when visiting the factory a month or so ago, the rumors said they would only be shutting down the place to retool for the C7 for about a month, way too short to retool for a drastic departure from the C6.
One of the top managers stated that they were looking at it being more Ferrari like styling and I - that is the main reason I not going out and buying an used Ferrari like the 599!

I rate Ferrari as the standard still in looks, quality and excitement. The Lambo Aventador is unbelievable. Big and bold and wow! I saw it in person and it is just fantastic. Looks matter a lot in a car!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm just stting back and waiting on the official word from GM as to what the C7 will or will not be. I know for a fact that sometimes GM will tell their own employees infomation that is false, just so they can determine where the leaks are coming from. Stay tuned!!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Less than 14 months for the release.

These other site reports say and mean very little.

The c7 will be styled soo dramatically we will all want one.

C6 is nicely styled but the C7 will be much sleeker and really will put c6 on trailer.

Performance is one tenth better in acceleration
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

C7 Corvette Blog
Updated 11/9/11 GM confirms 7 speed Transmission but says no to split window and the rumored 5.5 liter engine from the race car. They still have not come clean on the dual clutch yet. The base engine will still be the 6.2 liter. The 2014 Corvette is expected to launch in mid-2013. They are touting upgraded interior and European design influences. We personally are little scared about the last part! European car makers don't make American looking cars why should we change! Hopefully we are made to eat our words and its tastefully done. If you have a comment on this let us know at Facebook!
Source: GM Inside News
Updated 10/7/2011:
The latest scoop on the C7 Corvette Sources for Edmonds Inside Line say from a very trusted "inside source" at GM that the Corvette C7 will have "7"! That's 7 manual speeds with a rumored dual clutch! The new Corvette will retain the pushrod V8 engine and add direct-injection & variable timing. We have possibly confirmed the Dual Clutch manual transmission with a 2007 GM-UAW contract awarded to the Toledo OH transmission plant. The contract stated that "RWD DCT for NG Corvette will be allocated (2012)". NG is Next Generation, RWD refers to "Rear Wheel Drive" and DCT typically refers to Dual Clutch Transmission. The photos spied off a test mule C6 showed 7 speeds on the shifter. This would seem to make sense for current government MPG regulations and competitive market segments.
i WAS READING magazine corvette this morning and decided to snoop the net for anything new.Well,this info may not be "new"but it's new to me!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, one thing I know for certain is that if it has a split rear window they've lost one potential buyer and I'll move on to a used Gallardo or the next gen Viper.

Split window? Come on.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:31 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

i drove my vette yesterday and on my way home from work i was driving through the neighborhood and some kids were walking home from school. As i approached them you could see them staring at the car, in fact they stopped to watch me go by, and kept on watching me as i had passed. I could tell they were drooling over my car, as i did over cars back when i was their age.

You can't tell me that young people don't lust after corvettes. They always have and they always will. Other things just get in the way....like family, responsibility, price, money, etc. That's why it's considered an "old guys car".

If only people would quit getting married, having kids, etc..then we'd have a lot more "young" people driving corvettes around.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:41 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
i drove my vette yesterday and on my way home from work i was driving through the neighborhood and some kids were walking home from school. As i approached them you could see them staring at the car, in fact they stopped to watch me go by, and kept on watching me as i had passed. I could tell they were drooling over my car, as i did over cars back when i was their age.

You can't tell me that young people don't lust after corvettes. They always have and they always will. Other things just get in the way....like family, responsibility, price, money, etc. That's why it's considered an "old guys car".

If only people would quit getting married, having kids, etc..then we'd have a lot more "young" people driving corvettes around.
^^^ I agree. I teach HS. Students commented on my 350Z but just as many or more comment on my C6. For many young people, a Corvette is thought of as not obtainable for them. The opposite is I see many 350Z's on used car lots & they can be had at an affordable price, just add wheels, tires etc.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can't tell me that young people don't lust after corvettes. They always have and they always will. Other things just get in the way....like family, responsibility, price, money, etc. That's why it's considered an "old guys car". If only people would quit getting married, having kids, etc..then we'd have a lot more "young" people driving corvettes around.
exactly and those things will always get in the way,no matter what or who it's styled to attract, just part of life.

Last edited by Rob 99; 11-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Very true, and was the same when I was in high school in the late '60s. Corvettes were just way too expensive for young people and still are. That is why I got a '64 Dodge with a 426 street wedge, a fraction of the Vette price but tons of fun, and had a back seat for, you know, and a big trunk to sneak buds into the drive-ins. It took me 15 years to get enough cash for a Vette, and then it was a used one. Today is no different, so you do wonder what Lutzy is talking about, it is the money, not the styling that is keeping the younger gen from buying them, as it has always been.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you guys probably won't go to my youtube channel, but i talk about the latest information about cars but in particular the corvette, this is my second video that I have done, I talk about the latest info on the corvette c7, if you guys are interested click my link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GalCKJBh90M
Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the article is correct and GM stays with the same platform as the current C6 there is no doubt that Corvette sales will remain flat and nosedive a few years into the new gen. Lets face it folks, the current platform has been around since 1997 and it has been improved upon but it's nothing new. All gens leading upto the C5 has been all new designs, all new cars, all new engines. The C6 is a great car but all they did was improve upon the C5 platform, IMO it is not a new generation but more of an improvement from the previous years car. The C4 was a breakthrough in 84, the C5 rewrote the book on what GM could do with the right people aboard and produced a 100K car for less than half that price and guess what, the masses lined up for them when the C5 was introduced. Thats what GM has to do with the C7. It has to be an all new design/platform or the people will simply will not line up for them and sales will be flat, no doubt about it.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Inside News: New Details Emerge on the 2014 Corvette

Old 11-12-2011, 04:21 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
If the article is correct and GM stays with the same platform as the current C6 there is no doubt that Corvette sales will remain flat and nosedive a few years into the new gen. Lets face it folks, the current platform has been around since 1997 and it has been improved upon but it's nothing new. All gens leading upto the C5 has been all new designs, all new cars, all new engines. The C6 is a great car but all they did was improve upon the C5 platform, IMO it is not a new generation but more of an improvement from the previous years car. The C4 was a breakthrough in 84, the C5 rewrote the book on what GM could do with the right people aboard and produced a 100K car for less than half that price and guess what, the masses lined up for them when the C5 was introduced. Thats what GM has to do with the C7. It has to be an all new design/platform or the people will simply will not line up for them and sales will be flat, no doubt about it.

regardless if they had changed completely, the sales would remain stagnant... When the new car arrives, like always, sales will pick up. I think they save more money by not revamping/selling slightly lower # of vettes than revamping/selling slightly more

besides, the c6 platform is a winner. why fix something that isnt broken

now the Gen4 camaro had to go
Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
regardless if they had changed completely, the sales would remain stagnant... When the new car arrives, like always, sales will pick up. I think they save more money by not revamping/selling slightly lower # of vettes than revamping/selling slightly more

besides, the c6 platform is a winner. why fix something that isnt broken

now the Gen4 camaro had to go
All car makers have that one model that they put everything they have into it to show everyone, hey look what we can do. For GM it has always been the Corvette, the one car that does not share it's chassis or platform with any other model (exept the XLR and that was short lived anyway) the one car that comes out with the latest tech first and then later trickles down to the other models. If they just improve on the C6 and leave the platform the way it is then it will just be the same old same old, and you may just as well buy a preowned C6 with low miles and save a bundle and not worry too much about missing anything. We will just have to wait and see, I just hope that GM can have bragging rights with the new gen and not simply have people looking close and hard to see if it's a C6 or a C7. A new gen Corvette should have even people who know nothing about Corvettes know in a glance that it is a new generation Corvette and not an older one.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
All car makers have that one model that they put everything they have into it to show everyone, hey look what we can do. For GM it has always been the Corvette, the one car that does not share it's chassis or platform with any other model (exept the XLR and that was short lived anyway) the one car that comes out with the latest tech first and then later trickles down to the other models. If they just improve on the C6 and leave the platform the way it is then it will just be the same old same old, and you may just as well buy a preowned C6 with low miles and save a bundle and not worry too much about missing anything. We will just have to wait and see, I just hope that GM can have bragging rights with the new gen and not simply have people looking close and hard to see if it's a C6 or a C7. A new gen Corvette should have even people who know nothing about Corvettes know in a glance that it is a new generation Corvette and not an older one.
Really??? I always thought it was their pick-up lineup that they would invest the most on... They get more profit from the silverado, sierra lineup and sell tons more! Im sure the Vette is their flagship(as in most popular) but if ever they had to ax one, Im sure they would kill the vette before they would the silverado/sierra lineup

just mho

Quick Reply: GM Inside News: New Details Emerge on the 2014 Corvette