Sponsored by:

If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
EXACTLY!!! You proved my point AGAIN!!! Those brands sold like **** UNTIL they made the vehicles look MORE STYLISH, ala MB and Lexus... sales soared!!!!

All Im trying to say is poeple want to LOOK more expensive. If GM would bring out a "rrari clone, purists wouldnt like it(initially) but the general public would gobble it up like sasha grey gobbles up.... well you get where Im going with this
Negative. They sold like *** DESPITE their style copying UNTIL they produced a product that delivered the higher quality of the cars they were aping. Style isn't enough on its own. The Corvette, unlike the Kias and Hyundais, is already a solidly-built vehicle with a large and loyal customer base. The only area it has lagged in when compared to other cars is interior quality. Power and performance have always been comparable or better, price has always been lower, efficiency has been the same or better, and styling has been unmistakable and attractive. They don't need to duplicate somebody else's styling to make sales; all they need to do is finish their product at the level that their competitors do, as well as improve the dealer experience to the same level. Nothing more.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
all they need to do is finish their product at the level that their competitors do, as well as improve the dealer experience to the same level. Nothing more.
If they'd get that last part, they'd hit a Grand Slam out of the park!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Negative. They sold like *** DESPITE their style copying UNTIL they produced a product that delivered the higher quality of the cars they were aping. Style isn't enough on its own. The Corvette, unlike the Kias and Hyundais, is already a solidly-built vehicle with a large and loyal customer base. The only area it has lagged in when compared to other cars is interior quality. Power and performance have always been comparable or better, price has always been lower, efficiency has been the same or better, and styling has been unmistakable and attractive. They don't need to duplicate somebody else's styling to make sales; all they need to do is finish their product at the level that their competitors do, as well as improve the dealer experience to the same level. Nothing more.

Dude, listen to what IM SAYING!!! Im not saying the vette lacks anything. All Im saying is if they can mimic the awesomeness of a ferrari, they WONT LOSE!!!!! They cant, joe 6pack will love it! They CAN GO WRONG with a new model if it doesnt look appealing, but they cant go wrong if it looks like a "rrari".....
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Huh? I think it's C1s - in particular the 56 thru 61 models - that have coves. C2s are different. The 63 and 64 models have horizontal indentations that are not opened up (except on the real Grand Sports) that I supposed could be misconstrued as "coves", but the 65, 66, and 67 models had vertical openings that are definitely gills.

I just went out in my garage to double check that my memory of my 67 - which I have owned for 40 years - hadn't suddenly gone bad over night. Luckily, no early onset yet.........

"Coves" are defined as having a curvelinear shape. The 56 thru 61 models have that. All C2s have rectilinear shapes on their side openings. The common terminology for C1s is coves, and for C2s it is gills.

Take a look at a 65/66/67 C2 and a 68/69 C3 and tell me they aren't all "gills"?

Actually, from 70 to 72 C3s didn't really have "gills", they had side "grills"!

I think ya need to refresh your knowledge of C2s, Bucky.....

You are absolutely correct and I am an idiot. C1 Coves, C2 Gills. CMe shutting up now.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
You are absolutely correct and I am an idiot. C1 Coves, C2 Gills. CMe shutting up now.
No problem, bro! Been there, done that myself.....

Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, am tired of seeing people on this group espousing the idea of copying Ferrarri designs. Whatever happened to originality? "Good artists borrow, great artists steal" said Pablo Picasso, but the truth is, we have have given up on ourselves...else, why would we even be LOOKING at Ferrarri?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

I
Originally Posted by KevinK
I, too, am tired of seeing people on this group espousing the idea of copying Ferrarri designs. Whatever happened to originality? "Good artists borrow, great artists steal" said Pablo Picasso, but the truth is, we have have given up on ourselves...else, why would we even be LOOKING at Ferrarri?
It's hard to see who he stole from.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

On both points
Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a few drinks in me and I am finishing reading all the posts in this thread and I am almost on the floor laughing!

Ferrari and Corvette are not equal in anyway! A Ferrari cost 2 times or more that of a the top of the line ZR1 and is sold worldwide in quantity where the Corvette may sell 10 cars in the EU and maybe one or two in Asia!

Ferrari has a long history of being in racing and has a top legend! Corvette has a somewhat checker history in racing and it only in the a narrow field.

If there was a choice between a new Ferrari and a new Corvette; for the same price; I am willing to bet that 99% would choice the Ferrari hands down! The other 1% are just insane! Most Ferrari models are on backorder too!

Last edited by HarryWild; 11-13-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HarryWild
I had a few drinks in me and I am finishing reading all the posts in this thread and I am almost on the floor laughing!

Ferrari and Corvette are not equal in anyway! A Ferrari cost 2 times or more that of a the top of the line ZR1 and is sold worldwide in quantity where the Corvette may sell 10 cars in the EU and maybe one or two in Asia!

Ferrari has a long history of being in racing and has a top legend! Corvette has a somewhat checker history in racing and it only in the a narrow field.

If there was a choice between a new Ferrari and a new Corvette; for the same price; I am willing to bet that 99% would choice the Ferrari hands down! The other 1% are just insane! Most Ferrari models are on backorder too!
Obviously those were some cheap *** drinks... they have you reading things that arent there...

no one here has said the vette is better than any ferrari.. if anything, most are saying they are very different, each with its own rich heritage...

All we(well, mostly me) are saying is if the vette looked "like" a ferrari, it would be a better looking vette that many would like...
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Obviously those were some cheap *** drinks... they have you reading things that arent there...

no one here has said the vette is better than any ferrari.. if anything, most are saying they are very different, each with its own rich heritage...

All we(well, mostly me) are saying is if the vette looked "like" a ferrari, it would be a better looking vette that many would like...
And then there was the comment:

"If there was a choice between a new Ferrari and a new Corvette; for the same price; I am willing to bet that 99% would choice the Ferrari hands down!"

My response to that comment popped into my head from our childhood playground retort days: No $hit Sherlock!

Have a Bloody Mary this morning Harry.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If a Ferrari was the same price as a Corvette, it'd be......... well,........................ a Fiat! Oh, wait, that's right, Fiat owns Ferrari! Let's see, Fiat or Corvette? Hmm, there was a Fiat Dino once upon a time - anybody remember that?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

Honestly, I would like to drive a Ferrari but think I would not want to own one. Parts, service, dependability are the key issues. I work too hard for the money I make to throw it away on something that would make me cut back on other things I enjoy.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
PhysiPhile
Instructor

Originally Posted by KevinK
Many of us have so many car styles burnt into our memories that any new car design will remind us of other cars.

Same with the designers...The designers don't have a blank cavas to work from either. Their imaginations are filled with styling cues from hundreds of cars. It's the arrangement of those pieces that matters not that they are pieces from some other car.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 AM
CH 3 NO 2
Advanced

LOL sorry but I couldnt get passed this first line. Anyone buying a vette, imo, CANT afford a ferrari, thats why we buy the vette. Also, the majority of people WANT a ferrari look a like.... And last, Ferrari FTMFW!!!
If I was going to buy a car that had ripped off the styling of another car, it sure as hell wouldn't be a Ferrari! IT WOULD BE A LAMBO!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

This entire post, and most of this thread, is just silliness. If the F-car cost the same as the Corvette, it would NO LONGER BE an F-car. That hand-hammered aluminum body many Ferraris have had, the incredible hand-stiched interior, the forged magnesium Campagnolo wheels, etc., would not be possible at a Corvette price. Period.

On the other hand, if Corvette charged F-car prices for its car, then they could add those things, hire a team of Italian designers (or Americans like Raymond Loewy in the old days, or maybe Chip Foose) and make the car very competitive with Ferrari. But then, the Corvette would not longer be a Corvette, which IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN a "relatively" affordable sports car with American style and muscle.

As far as racing heritage goes, Chevrolet has a very long and distinguished racing heritage, although not so much in Europe in competition with Ferrari. Ferrari for years built racing cars first, and only built street cars to help fund its racing, and Il Commendatore before he died even said as much. But, hey, Chevy has sold more cars in one year than Ferrari has sold in its entire lifespan. Different companies and business models altogether.

This is really an apples and oranges debate. The two cars are very, very different, and only comparable in that they (usually) have 2 seats, go fast, stop well, handle well, and look cool in their own distinct ways. Ferraris appeal more to Eurosnobs and oil sheiks, and their progeny here, and Corvettes appeal more to cowboys. Chevy makes lots more Corvettes than Ferrari builds Ferraris. And there is nothing wrong with that. And, until recent years since Ferrari has improved its every day reliability, you'd never take a Ferrari on a road trip here because they broke all the time and few in the USA could fix them. Vettes you could drive anywhere.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 11-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually want new vette to look like my old CRX

Get notified of new replies

To If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari

Old 11-17-2011, 12:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petermj
I actually want new vette to look like my old CRX
We used to joke that CRX stood for "Coffin Reclining Xperience".....
Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
We used to joke that CRX stood for "Coffin Reclining Xperience".....
just remembering my youth... Back in 1988, I would not even look at a corresponding year vette getting in a brand spanking new CRX Si...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
This entire post, and most of this thread, is just silliness. If the F-car cost the same as the Corvette, it would NO LONGER BE an F-car. That hand-hammered aluminum body many Ferraris have had, the incredible hand-stiched interior, the forged magnesium Campagnolo wheels, etc., would not be possible at a Corvette price. Period.

On the other hand, if Corvette charged F-car prices for its car, then they could add those things, hire a team of Italian designers (or Americans like Raymond Loewy in the old days, or maybe Chip Foose) and make the car very competitive with Ferrari. But then, the Corvette would not longer be a Corvette, which IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN a "relatively" affordable sports car with American style and muscle.

As far as racing heritage goes, Chevrolet has a very long and distinguished racing heritage, although not so much in Europe in competition with Ferrari. Ferrari for years built racing cars first, and only built street cars to help fund its racing, and Il Commendatore before he died even said as much. But, hey, Chevy has sold more cars in one year than Ferrari has sold in its entire lifespan. Different companies and business models altogether.

This is really an apples and oranges debate. The two cars are very, very different, and only comparable in that they (usually) have 2 seats, go fast, stop well, handle well, and look cool in their own distinct ways. Ferraris appeal more to Eurosnobs and oil sheiks, and their progeny here, and Corvettes appeal more to cowboys. Chevy makes lots more Corvettes than Ferrari builds Ferraris. And there is nothing wrong with that. And, until recent years since Ferrari has improved its every day reliability, you'd never take a Ferrari on a road trip here because they broke all the time and few in the USA could fix them. Vettes you could drive anywhere.
Ahhhh, somebody else who "gets" it!

Quick Reply: If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari