Sponsored by:

Manual Gear Box Phase out in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual Gear Box Phase out in Europe

Lamborghini, Ferrari and (rumored) Porsche performance cars, no more manual gearboxs. Audi rumored next in Europe.

If true, GM will have to offer a DSG type gearbox for European sales if it wants to continue in that market.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Or it can compete by being the only crazy-fast car left for three-pedal fans.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Ferrari no longer offers a manual for any car anywhere.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Ferrari no longer offers a manual for any car anywhere.
Becoming a thing of the past!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM
IRS-Cop
Racer

Originally Posted by JC6
Becoming a thing of the past!
The sole two reasons the C6 ZR1 is not a factory 10 second quarter mile car is due to its antique 6 speed manual transmiission and not enough traction. With the horsepower to weight ratio of 5.2 for the ZR1 a dual clutch transmission would have pushed the car into the high 10's and traction would not have needed further addressing. As like most, I'm opposed to our Corvettes becoming AWD. Just think of the press and additional interest GM would've gotten for their 2009 Corvette ZR1 if the car could run consistent 10's in the quarter on factory tires! That feat was unheard of in 2009 for a car that you could aquire at a local dealership!! However, the honor of the first readily available production car to break into the 10 second club went to our arch-nemisis, Porsche, with their 2011 911 Turbo S that consistently runs 10 second quarter mile times.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The current Porsche turbo S is blazingly quick, hitting 60 in as quick as 2.9. This is because of both AWD and the PDK tranny. however, the ZR1 will beat it in a mile race. But it really does not make a difference as to which car can hit 190 first. I an not a big AWD fan, but i do love a great DCT, and if the ZR1 had a DTC it would be quicker than it is now. And i guarante you that the C7 will offer a true DTC along with a 3 pedal car. Chevy must do this to keep up with everyone else.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

..... And i guarante you that the C7 will offer a true DTC along with a 3 pedal car. .
I wouldn't guarantee anything yet.

I really believe GM must go the DCT route, sooner than later. And when they go to that transmission, the manual and automatics as we know them today will be a thing of the past.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I wouldn't guarantee anything yet.

I really believe GM must go the DCT route, sooner than later. And when they go to that transmission, the manual and automatics as we know them today will be a thing of the past.

They are already testing their DCT in the GT2 car. By the time the C7 hits the streets there shouldn't be any reason why it isn't the only transmission available. Will satisfy manual transmission advocates since it is direct drive and will satisfy auto trans advocates since it will run automatically. Best of both worlds. Probably would lower overall costs as well since it always costs more to have two different subassemblies from a production maintenance and parts support standpoint.

Bill
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

They are already testing their DCT in the GT2 car. By the time the C7 hits the streets there shouldn't be any reason why it isn't the only transmission available. Will satisfy manual transmission advocates since it is direct drive and will satisfy auto trans advocates since it will run automatically. Best of both worlds. Probably would lower overall costs as well since it always costs more to have two different subassemblies from a production maintenance and parts support standpoint.

Bill
Best of both worlds. If this happens, I may be selling my Z06 for a C7.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Notch
Safety Car

The current Porsche turbo S is blazingly quick, hitting 60 in as quick as 2.9. This is because of both AWD and the PDK tranny.
The AWD has little (generally nothing) to do with the car's stellar standing start acceleration times.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
Lamborghini, Ferrari and (rumored) Porsche performance cars, no more manual gearboxs. Audi rumored next in Europe.
For Porsche it is only a rumor. The company has no plans to do away with the manual gearbox. The new 991 can be had with a 7-speed manual.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
If GM is planning on getting rid of the manual transmission for their Corvettes, then I will plan on my last Corvette being the last one offered with a manual. I have absolutely zero wish to have one without the 3 pedals.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Or it can compete by being the only crazy-fast car left for three-pedal fans.
I think a lot of people are starting to realize that the old-school manual had a charm that made up for its lower performance numbers. The Top Gear people picked the ZR1 over the R8 largely for that reason.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
jpr210
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The manual trans offers control over the operation of the car that a DCT will NEVER offer. Most of these DCT's will shift on their own or deny you a shift when you want it. If I need a ride do decide for me how I want to drive, I'll take the train instead. I think that many of the people that want the manumatics are shumacher wanabees that dont want to develop the skill (or dont have it) do manage the machinery properly.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jpr210
The manual trans offers control over the operation of the car that a DCT will NEVER offer. ..... If I need a ride do decide for me how I want to drive, I'll take the train instead. I think that many of the people that want the manumatics are shumacher wanabees that dont want to develop the skill (or dont have it) do manage the machinery properly.
What an idiotic comment.

I've driven manuals since learning to drive, starting with a tractor, at age 12. I've raced cars from the 1960 time-frame until a few years ago. I know how to manage a manual, and I'm damned sure I speak for many more on this forum.

The DCT is the transmission of the future, and it's here today. If you can''t accept change, maybe it is time for you to take the choo-choo!!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Endeka
I think a lot of people are starting to realize that the old-school manual had a charm that made up for its lower performance numbers. The Top Gear people picked the ZR1 over the R8 largely for that reason.

They also pick the much slower Maserati Gran Turismo MC over faster cars for the same reason, it is more fun to drive.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:56 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notch
The AWD has little (generally nothing) to do with the car's stellar standing start acceleration times.
I have no idea how you can conclude this. The three fastest production cars in the world 0-60 are all AWD (all sub 3 second times). VEYRON, TURBO S, GT-R. There is no substitution from the dig for AWD for a car on street tires.

Many ricers will rip V8 cars off the line due to AWD also.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Gear Box Phase out in Europe

Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dboz
They also pick the much slower Maserati Gran Turismo MC over faster cars for the same reason, it is more fun to drive.
Fun is great. Improved performance is better.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It's gotta really **** off the engineers that many buyers reject their new high-tech transmissions and demand an old-fashioned manual.

Too bad the buyers have the money.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jinx
It's gotta really **** off the engineers that many buyers reject their new high-tech transmissions and demand an old-fashioned manual.

Too bad the buyers have the money.
If you and a few others demand manual transmissions in the future, GM won't give a ****! The world's main sports car population embraces the DCT.

Quick Reply: Manual Gear Box Phase out in Europe