C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?
I LOVE IT!
24.21%
I HATE IT!
40.88%
I DON'T KNOW..
34.91%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

what do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Man, it's like the site is trapped in a wormhole and showing us posts from 2003...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Man, it's like the site is trapped in a wormhole and showing us posts from 2003...

Hmmm, agree, except your date is off by a bit. Pontiac Aztek debuted in 2001. Absolutely agree that they may both have been sourced from a "wormhole."
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read an article that GM wants to compete with European sports cars.

With those renders, GM was going to flat out f***ing fail.

Since I still have faith in the corvette design time, I know they'll put out a C7 that is going to be super sexy... which is not what I was seeing in those renders.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ls2kev
I read an article that GM wants to compete with European sports cars.

With those renders, GM was going to flat out f***ing fail.

Since I still have faith in the corvette design time, I know they'll put out a C7 that is going to be super sexy... which is not what I was seeing in those renders.

From your lips to GM's ears!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Hmmm, agree, except your date is off by a bit. Pontiac Aztek debuted in 2001.
The first C6 body images appeared in 2003, and elicited all kinds of negativity and Aztek references. And yet when the car hit the streets, lots of people thought it looked great and bought it. Some just bought it for performance. History is repeating itself.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

The first C6 body images appeared in 2003, and elicited all kinds of negativity and Aztek references. And yet when the car hit the streets, lots of people thought it looked great and bought it. Some just bought it for performance. History is repeating itself.
Simply put - incorrect. An old trick, this - take a grain of truth, mix in with wrong information, pass it off as truth, or in this case "history." Case in point, every new generation Vette does garner some negativity - this is your grain of truth.

I was very tuned into the C5 and C6 intros, and remember them first hand quite well. Untrue, the C6 did NOT attract near the level of negativity that this rendering is - and for damn good reasons. Largest C6 negativity came from vocal minority who lamented loss of hidden headlights. The C6 was in fact a major improvement to C5 but really a c 5.5 made more contemporary (base coupe) with greatly improved lighting and smoother, more aero syling. Huge improvements came a year later with aluminum frame and 427 power, then of course the ZR1, PTM, etc. As a buyer of many, many new Vettes, I keep pretty wirded into this stuff

The C7 rendering has drawn a majority of negative or neutral reaction because it has struck many as a hodgepodge of poorly meshed styling cues combine into a clumsy, tacked on look. This has been previously commented on at length by a great many posters, so no need to reiterate the details here. It will apparently use the same frame as debuted in 2005 C5 with some drivetrain refinements using notably smaller powerplants. Better interior materials and some more updated electronics - but this apparently will be C5.8, clothed in a tacky, quickly dated exterior - not the bold car as promised by Lutz.

I will NOT be a buyer of C7, if this is what shows up at the official intro.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:01 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

After several years of watching these forums, I've come to expect a 95% negative response from even the most simplistic statements.

Only the fleeting glimpses of sanity bring me back.

I'm looking forward to seeing the car in person, sitting in the seats, checking out the center stack and guage cluster, and then deciding if I'll place my money into the hands of GM once again.

So far, it's never been 100% perfect, but I've been completely satisfied.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks better than the Vette prototype used in the Transformers movie, but still pales in comparison to C-5s or C-6s. And I don't believe this will be the c-7..
Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It looks good to me. August 2013 can't come fast enough.

Originally Posted by Process Black
I kind of like it as base a coupe.

Count me in.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

C' mon guys, the rendering of the C7 is not that bad! It looks okay to me, but I won't hate on it. However I do think the new C7 will probably look close to this drawing. Do you guys remember some of the C6 leaked photos when it first came out. Some of the photos were close to how the C6 came to be.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz16
These poll results seem incongruous with the head to head Stingray Concept vs. Jalopnik poll?
They aren't inconsistent at all; this poll is what do we think of it. Most of us hate it or are uncertain due to questionable aspects of the design. However, the majority of recognize that the Jalopnik rendering is far less ugly than the Stingray concept.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly I don't have any significant problems with the overall design, although it is more cookie-cutter than I would like. My problems are the urban/ricer cues adorning it, such as the chintzy accents on the scoops and the like.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Simply put - incorrect. An old trick, this - take a grain of truth, mix in with wrong information, pass it off as truth, or in this case "history." Case in point, every new generation Vette does garner some negativity - this is your grain of truth.

I was very tuned into the C5 and C6 intros, and remember them first hand quite well. Untrue, the C6 did NOT attract near the level of negativity that this rendering is - and for damn good reasons.
Simply put, your memory isn't as good as you claim. Did you forget about the white body shell?

But thanks for being a condescending jerk about it. Bullying definitely helps make your personal opinion look more like fact.

.Jinx
Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow they have copied the design philosophy of Hyundai luxury vehicles and have borrowed bits from other popular makes.

Fender Gills - borrowed from the ISF
Roof line - borrowed from the GTR with a little mix of Nissan 370z
Rear End - borrowed from a Camaro

I dont like this. I did love the Transformers C7.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 PM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

While I am sure there is a little interpretation involved in the renderings (an artist's 'deception' as we say), it is generally attractive though somewhat disappointing due to somewhat of a same-thing-warmed-over appearance.

I would donate an organ to reduce the size or smooth off the front fender "C3" top edges - they are rather garish. I sure hope all the vents are functional; there is something embarrassing about fake vents and fake downforce/diffuser rear bumpers.

The "GTR" roof/window profile was a little alarming, but it is growing on me. It is probably better appearing on the real thing.

I sure hope the front air splitter is streetable. I couldn't buy a C6 ZR-1 because I know I would trash the splitter once a month.

To heck with strong lineage visual cues - give me a car that looks great with subtle cues.

Appearance aside, it better put lots of power to the ground very effectively: 7 sp, rev matching, aggressive gearing, DCT, superior adjustable launch control that doesn't have to fry the tires/clutch, etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 AM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After building cars for over 100 years, I think there is only so much uniqueness left to add to a car at this point without going to an exotic look. GM is probably trying to play it a little safe and this is what we get. Vents, slits, and spoilers are easier to change that complete body work so if they are hated they can be removed easier or slightly changed.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Headman70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stic5
Wow. There sure are a bunch of bitter haters on this board. What's funny is that when this car comes out, those of you that can afford it will be in line to buy one, and those of you that can't afford it will still probably still be in "my C5 looks so much better" denial. Really? Your C5 looks better? I bet your wife looks better than Olivia Wilde too. Give me a break. What would you prefer? The ridiculous Stingray Concept that GM put in Transformers to throw off those of you with poor taste and IQs below 90? Did you really think that thing ever had a chance of being built? It hit every branch when it fell out of the ugly tree. No, what you all want is THIS car. You just don't want to admit it to yourself yet. But when you see it sitting in the showroom or passing 911s on TV, you'll start drooling.

Anyway, rant off. The base version looks great to me. The headlights and roof line are much improved. The ZR1 version looks a little overdone in the drawings we see here, but I'm sure it will look great in person. I'm looking forward to putting one of these cars in my garage in the future; I can't wait to hear the mechanical specifics on each trim line.

Why do some people feel the need to belittle people when their opinions differ? Why do they take it so personal? Did they design the car? It's not like we were talking about their child. And why imply that they aren't intelligent and what does intelligence have to do with poor taste? Does it make them feel smarter? Does it make them feel better about themselves? Are they compensating for their own inadequacies? Or is their life full of mistakes or inadequacies? Very sad really! Very very sad!

Id10t

Get notified of new replies

To what do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Simply put, your memory isn't as good as you claim. Did you forget about the white body shell?

But thanks for being a condescending jerk about it. Bullying definitely helps make your personal opinion look more like fact.

.Jinx
Not sure why you are choosing to make personal comments, but your choice. My memory is fine, and the polls here are quite clear where the majority resides on the rendering.

I suppose when some people run out of intelligent and/or relevant thngs to say, they take to making juvenile statements. Doesn't work for me personally, but to each their own.

Hope the rest of your day is better!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Torchblue
Racer

Back when the C6 first came out and everyone complained about the fixed headlights, the flat butt and numerous other changes, a letter to the editor appeared in AUTOWEEK that said ' if they put the Corvette emblem on a Nash Rambler, they will buy it" This has proven to be true. Look at the production numbers in 2006 and 2007 before the economy went down the toilet. After the bad economy hit sales did decrease and I believe it is the economy and nothing else.

We are not even sure that these renderings are the real thing and look at all the complaints. Complain all you want GM will still make a C7 and it will sell.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I voted "I don't know". If the front end changes more that would be fine with me because right now it looks too much like a C6. I like the roofline and the square tail lights would be okay if they were more rounded like the C4 ZR-1 "square" tail lights; at least there would be some connection to past vettes. In the end I have to believe what Lutz is saying that it will be a knock out styling and that this rendering in the end will be way off.

Here is hoping!

Quick Reply: what do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?