Sponsored by:

Take a Good Look Here For Whats In Store For The C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take a Good Look Here For Whats In Store For The C7

This link will take you to a page on the 2013 Deville replacement. Im sure many of the items mentioned will be found in the C7. Take a look at the video at the right of the interchangable dash display.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...6_xts_overview
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

How is a car announced in 2011 for delivery in Spring 2012 a 2013 model? They're a full year ahead of themselves. What's the point?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I took from the article almost a guarantee of direct injection, magnetic ride on base model standard, wonderful interior, now this is where the features get interesting for the next vette

Advanced Haldex all-wheel-drive system with electronically controlled limited-slip differential
Magnetic Ride Control, rear air suspension, HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo brakes – all standard
Standard 19-inch wheels and available 20-inch wheels
Direct-injected 3.6L V-6 with lightweight features, including integrated cylinder heads/exhaust manifolds
Capless fuel tank filler for easier, cleaner refueling
Folding rear-seat headrests that enhance rear visibility
Safety Alert Seat that vibrates to alert the driver
Intervening braking system that lessens or avoids potential collisions
Short- and long-range radar systems that support:

Adaptive Cruise Control
Front and Rear Automatic Brakes
Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

Now the feature that jumped out at me was the ability to opt for awd, I know it has been beating to death, but do you think you could have the choice of buying a rwd vette or awd vette, this seems to be where GM is going also, on the ats you can have rwd or awd, so it seems corvette would be rwd or awd, your thought?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
From what I took from the article almost a guarantee of direct injection, magnetic ride on base model standard, wonderful interior, now this is where the features get interesting for the next vette

Advanced Haldex all-wheel-drive system with electronically controlled limited-slip differential
Magnetic Ride Control, rear air suspension, HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo brakes – all standard
Standard 19-inch wheels and available 20-inch wheels
Direct-injected 3.6L V-6 with lightweight features, including integrated cylinder heads/exhaust manifolds
Capless fuel tank filler for easier, cleaner refueling
Folding rear-seat headrests that enhance rear visibility
Safety Alert Seat that vibrates to alert the driver
Intervening braking system that lessens or avoids potential collisions
Short- and long-range radar systems that support:

Adaptive Cruise Control
Front and Rear Automatic Brakes
Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

Now the feature that jumped out at me was the ability to opt for awd, I know it has been beating to death, but do you think you could have the choice of buying a rwd vette or awd vette, this seems to be where GM is going also, on the ats you can have rwd or awd, so it seems corvette would be rwd or awd, your thought?
Well, GTR, Porsche, Lambo, Audi R8 all offer AWD as well. This will even attract more Europeans to consider Vette.

I think the C7 is going to have a bigger leapfrog from C6 than C6 had from C5.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Caddy is doing a great job with their new cars.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

is this caddy being built at the same site as the vette? If so then I can see how they would use alot of the same things techno and interior wise.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Caddy is doing a great job with their new cars.

Great looking and great performing cars.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Let me please highlight that it is shown as a FWD car with an AWD option. Also note that it is a V-6 with 264 lb-ft of torque not nearly the 424 lb-ft of torque of the base Corvette. Also note that the wheelbase is 6" longer to allow more room for that sort of thing.

I would draw no conclusion from the driveline at all.

Are there some of the electronics and interior items that might show up sure, much more likely.

Automatic Brakes? given the reaction of some to the possibility of start/stop and the controllable anti-slip and handling nannies.... I can't imagine their reaction to this. The Corvette is a sports car not a grannymobile auto pilot car.

Adaptive cruise control - see above

Magnetic ride control is already available

HiPer Strut suspension? Really a strut suspension... what a step backwards.

Heads up is already available

a configurable display... may be interesting based on the design and layout options.

Safety alert drivers seat - will also give me a massage while I am driving? Sounds like a wake me if I am falling asleep thing. Could be good for those long trips through the night. Or if the radar sensed that you were about to go off a cliff... or it could just be annoying. Or it could be entertaining to see if you could fool it into thinking you were falling to sleep. That might be a cool road game to pass the time.

Moving to the quality feel of the newer Caddy interiors would be a step in the right direction. But not too cushy, we need something firmer and more sport racing car like. More metal or carbon fiber and less burlwood.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Let me please highlight that it is shown as a FWD car with an AWD option. Also note that it is a V-6 with 264 lb-ft of torque not nearly the 424 lb-ft of torque of the base Corvette. Also note that the wheelbase is 6" longer to allow more room for that sort of thing.

I would draw no conclusion from the driveline at all.

Are there some of the electronics and interior items that might show up sure, much more likely.

Automatic Brakes? given the reaction of some to the possibility of start/stop and the controllable anti-slip and handling nannies.... I can't imagine their reaction to this. The Corvette is a sports car not a grannymobile auto pilot car.

Adaptive cruise control - see above

Magnetic ride control is already available

Heads up is already available

a configurable display... may be interesting based on the design and layout options.

Safety alert drivers seat - will also give me a massage while I am driving? Sounds like a wake me if I am falling asleep thing. Could be good for those long trips through the night. Or if the radar sensed that you were about to go off a cliff... or it could just be annoying. Or it could be entertaining to see if you could fool it into thinking you were falling to sleep. That might be a cool road game to pass the time.

Moving to the quality feel of the newer Caddy interiors would be a step in the right direction. But not too cushy, we need something firmer and more sport racing car like. More metal or carbon fiber and less burlwood.
Even more so to have awd, it will easier put the power to the ground more efficiently. Lot of those options that the caddy could be turned off so I don't see the big deal, their accommodating everyone, if you don't like it turn it off simple
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Even more so to have awd, it will easier put the power to the ground more efficiently. Lot of those options that the caddy could be turned off so I don't see the big deal, their accommodating everyone, if you don't like it turn it off simple
You miss my point on AWD. They have an existing system to do FWD/AWD but it will not support the torque of the Corvette. They have more room between the wheels to put the system in and it is not currently Mid-engine so there is even more room. It is probably a transverse engine, the Corvette is not. So none of the driveline items will transfer. So you should draw no conclusions that any of those changes would be reasonable in the Corvette.

Finally, the Caddy is a LUXURY car the Corvette is not. Any Corvette implementation of technology may be different for that reason.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

isnt the Haldex AWD a take off from Audi (Quattro) where its onlly AWD when it feels the wheels slipping? Otherwise its 2 wheel? Now I know this works for Audi in its FWD cars, not sure if this would work for rwd cars too.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
isnt the Haldex AWD a take off from Audi (Quattro) where its onlly AWD when it feels the wheels slipping? Otherwise its 2 wheel? Now I know this works for Audi in its FWD cars, not sure if this would work for rwd cars too.
Porsche C4S is something like 90 or 95% rear-drive biased until the fronts slip, then maximum 40% of power goes to the front.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

And GM still cant design a nice steering wheel...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mookster
And GM still cant design a nice steering wheel...
or a one touch up window button, lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM
knyght4
Drifting

looks like a revised version of the STS
Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
And Saab too?

Last edited by mazurekd; 12-13-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Transverse engine

[QUOTE=Racer X;1579408659]It is probably a transverse engine, the Corvette is not. So none of the driveline items will transfer.

RacerX,

The transmission is a Hydramatic 6T70, the "T" stands for Transverse, therefore the negine must be mounted transversely. A longitudinal transmission (behind a longitudinal engine) would be a 6L70 or thereabouts.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Get notified of new replies

To Take a Good Look Here For Whats In Store For The C7

Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM
hwy1vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer X

Verses leaf springs? are you kidding
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hwy1vette
Verses leaf springs? are you kidding
No I am not kidding. The leaf springs serve no purpose in the geometry on the motion of the wheels. The unequal double A arm suspension of the Corvette does an excellent job of keeping the wheels perpendicular to the road across the pertinent range of motion. It controls fore and aft location as well.

The same cannot be said for a MacPherson (front) and Chapman (rear) struts. They allow much more camber change through the range of motion. They allow more fore and aft motion affecting chamber changes. In a word they suck compared to an unequal double A arm suspension. Their main advantages are space and maybe weight.

So to repeat I am not kidding.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:06 AM
hwy1vette
Racer

a step backwards is to keep leaf spring suspension, something i am equally concerned with as losing an a arm design although the 911's do just fine with their front geometry with struts.

Quick Reply: Take a Good Look Here For Whats In Store For The C7