Future of Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Default Future of Corvettes?

What does this trend mean for the future of Corvettes? Amazing embedded technologies? Integration with Apps on handheld devices? Fewer enthusiasts buying future sports cars?

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/1...lts/?hpt=hp_c2
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, the mobility that we all needed/desired as teens to be part of the social scene just isn't as true anymore. My own 17yr old has little desire to have a car other than to just get from place to place. He and his friends meet up online on the weekend far more than they do in person. It's a whole new paradigm. I have taken him out and let him drive my Vette a couple times just to give him a taste of fun... and he enjoyed it... so there is hope for the next generation... but it will never be "the same" again.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Destined for epic fail.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It may mean that self-driving cars happen sooner. Kids who don't drive themselves won't be afraid to trust the technology to do it for them.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one reason why I don't expect modern sports/muscle cars to attain the same status of collectibility and value as their 1960's counterparts once did. As this article demonstrates, cars are not as relevant to young adults as they once were in the past.

Fast forward 3 decades from now, and it'll be even worse. They'll probably view 30-year old classics, like the Corvette, in the same light as any mobile phone more than 2 years old - as obsolete junk. After all, why would anyone want a car that doesn't drive itself?

Last edited by vant; 12-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

rite of passage is a smartphone, not a car with teens
Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vant
This is one reason why I don't expect modern sports/muscle cars to attain the same status of collectibility and value as their 1960's counterparts once did. As this article demonstrates, cars are not as relevant to young adults as they once were in the past.

Fast forward 3 decades from now, and it'll be even worse. They'll probably view 30-year old classics, like the Corvette, in the same light as any mobile phone more than 2 years old - as obsolete junk. After all, why would anyone want a car that doesn't drive itself?
My children show much less enthusiasm for cars than I had. For them cars are just transportation, a means to get from Point A to Point B. There may be merit to vant's theory about dropping demand for collector cars 30 years from now. After all, if you really want to see some old Corvette, there are free pictures on the internet.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My step-daughter just got her license last year. She is now 20...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

There are just as many enthusiasts as there have always been. The difference is they are such a small number in relation to the general public that they don't sit well with statistics. Even 1% of the population loving cars is still approaching almost a million people. Cars may change, but there are still plenty of younger enthusiasts like myself.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

I am around young people all day. Not much impresses them & not many of them impress me.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Almost There
Advanced

Zland, I love you. I am 20 and can attest to your claim that not only is my generation unimpressive as a whole, but GM need not worry about selling a world class product to a lower class of human beings. Only a tiny percentage care about engineering/how the world works. We are poor, bigoted and haven't the slightest curiosity for introspection; just to defecate on police cars. Selfish>Selfless and no respect. We do not deserve a corvette; only me heheh
Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The C7 is going to be an attempt to lure these kids. That's why it will be the last Vette and only be out a couple years. It will be an epic fail.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kids now are high tech. A car is not seen as something to get away. Each person in
the household has a car/truck now and usually an extra vehicle too. There grandparents
having a car was a big achievement. Today we have car makes from all over the
world in mass numbers. Dealership new and used are everyplace. Heck a good
4 banger can give a corvette a run for the money today. Corvette wants to be a
world car, LOL than its just going to be one of many. Beside so congested now
where can you drive the cars to there potential
Old 12-09-2011, 03:29 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm 26; I bought my first car at age 15 or 16 and my first V-8 (LT1 Z28) at age 19, the same year I bought my first cell phone. I now have a smart phone, and while I enjoy it, I still don't understand how people could possibly enjoy fiddling around on the internet more than driving a fast car or quad or sled. It seems like the majority of this generation enjoys pretending to do something fun (like hang out with friends or enjoy motorsports) more than they actually like going out and really doing it. It's sad really.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 AM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I'm 26; I bought my first car at age 15 or 16 and my first V-8 (LT1 Z28) at age 19, the same year I bought my first cell phone. I now have a smart phone, and while I enjoy it, I still don't understand how people could possibly enjoy fiddling around on the internet more than driving a fast car or quad or sled. It seems like the majority of this generation enjoys pretending to do something fun (like hang out with friends or enjoy motorsports) more than they actually like going out and really doing it. It's sad really.
Why drive a real car when they can race exotics on their gaming system? LOL
Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
MCVetteLs6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate reading these kinds of threads... you guys make me feel like my generation of people are complete idiots.. which i guess i cant 100% deny...

im just going to assume when yall say "young people" your really only talking about 90%
were not all like that i swear!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

There is an upside. If fewer teens are getting licenses and driving, there will be fewer accidents caused by simmering hormones.

Get notified of new replies

To Future of Corvettes?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
My step-daughter just got her license last year. She is now 20...
I hear ya. My son didn't get his license till a few months after he was 20 ....all though he is a spitting image of me it has made me question several times "how can this be my kid?" I was itching for my permit at age 15.5 and did most of the family driving when I got mine. My son still has no car, although one sits in my garage needing a motor put in it (motor is right there to be put in) and yet he still has his friends drive him every where......had he been able to get his drivers license on XBOX, he would have found a way to get it before he was 16
Old 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My 16YO niece likes my cars but has no desire to ever own one. Thing is she is my only family in that generation so she will own mine someday.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

I think part of the reason some kids do not get driver lic sooner is how many parents enable them to do what they want without driving a car. I see a majority of HS students being picked up from school by mommy. Many of these kids do not know what it is to actually exercise or sweat. Many schools have reduced PE to only 2 of 4 years of HS & with classes being mixed (male/female) many of the males have become less competitive.

Personally I think teenagers would be better off walking to school or riding a bike (yes, even if it is 3-5 miles away) and not owning a cell phone. Cell phones are a constant distraction to students in school.

I know many of you may disagree but I am simply making an observation from the perspective of teaching HS for 30 years. IMO the current generation is the weakest mentally & physically I have seen in my entire career. The other reality is the current generations behavior is being enabled by their parents.

Quick Reply: Future of Corvettes?