Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 ZR1 and Z06-Go Separate Ways?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default C7 ZR1 and Z06-Go Separate Ways?

Looking at our expectations, I wonder if we might be asking too much of the next generation high-end Corvettes. Looking at exotic supercars, some seem to be more focused than we're asking the Corvettes to be. I wonder if the brand would benefit from a split in purpose at the high end, along these lines:

C7 Z06- A road legal, daily drivable track day car, like the Ferrari 430 Scuderia or 599GTO. It's fine as a daily driver but really at home on the track. No wood panels, heated and cooled seats, or 75lbs subwoofers here. This thing is purpose-built to kick *** on the track.

C7 ZR1-High performance luxury grand tourer, like the Aston DBS. It would still have enormous speed and power, but dial back on the brutality of the Z06 with less rigid suspension and a little refinement-above its ceramic rotors would be wood, leather; basically a new high-end Caddy interior. It could still take names on the track, but it'd be more of a luxurious distance cruiser, and more livable to drive every day.

I just don't see that many cars that have interiors dripping with luxury, but are also hugging the bleeding edge of speed. I think it's better to leave the ultra-firm suspension, carbon drive-line, and snappy cornering to the Z06, and make the ZR1 more in line with the DBS or the Mercedes SLR.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have it backwards.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Either way, not a bad idea.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM
onedaydreamcar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great idea.

I don't know about naming and which is which, but that could easily kill everyone complaining about interior quality on the track car at least, and maybe have the cars more focused.

I hate to bring up porsche, but like those you have mentioned, the stock track propose car sells well. Even nissan just released a track day package for the gtr without rear seats, etc.

good idea I'd say. Maybe they could do it right and not price the track car as if it still has a luxury interior in it.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're already separate.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Right on

Originally Posted by Dudeurgettnavette
They're already separate.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

I would like to see this as well :

C7 500 hp. base model. Luxury interior, targa top, or vert. 200 mph

C7 Z06 600 hp. Purpose track built all carbon fiber body ceramic brakes,racing seats. ect 210 mph

C7 ZR1 700 hp. Luxurious interior. similar track/street maners as current version. 220 mph

C7 AWD 750 hp. Special edition split window Stingray 210 mph

yes I know about the reality, dont mess with a fantasy. LOL

Last edited by Flex182; 12-11-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea.

But you're missing 1 thing on your list.
Make the exotic LOOK LIKE AN EXOTIC!!! not just a stupid window in the hood....

If you're going to spend an extra $30k for the "top of the line one" make it noticeable.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Corvette's philosophy has always been one that allows special Vettes to be created by the aftermarket. Why do we always want to do it the European way anymore? It is bad enough that GM is nationalized. You can't change your car in anyway, incuding the tire size in Europe. That is why race cars for the street are done by the factories.
Having said that, Europe allows factory roll cages and 5 point seat belts for the street. It would be nice to have an option delete Carbon Vette with an appoved roll cage and 5 point harness. The option delete would incude all luxury equipment save for air. GM could get with a tire manufacturer and make DOT track day and race tires for this car with two sets of wheels. Call your congressman to get this going. We can't import proper GT2s and 3s or F Stradales because DOT doesnt approve of the above mentioned safety items. As for the luxury Vette, just change the seats. Put European seats in it.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
You can't change your car in anyway, incuding the tire size in Europe.
You can change tire sizes, shocks, lower and several other things in Germany. They have to be German approved TUV is all. I have done it to several of my German plated cars when I was there.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Corvette's philosophy has always been one that allows special Vettes to be created by the aftermarket. Why do we always want to do it the European way anymore? It is bad enough that GM is nationalized. You can't change your car in anyway, incuding the tire size in Europe. That is why race cars for the street are done by the factories.
Having said that, Europe allows factory roll cages and 5 point seat belts for the street. It would be nice to have an option delete Carbon Vette with an appoved roll cage and 5 point harness. The option delete would incude all luxury equipment save for air. GM could get with a tire manufacturer and make DOT track day and race tires for this car with two sets of wheels. Call your congressman to get this going. We can't import proper GT2s and 3s or F Stradales because DOT doesnt approve of the above mentioned safety items. As for the luxury Vette, just change the seats. Put European seats in it.
Hmm - I dunno, ever heard of a RUF Porsche (aftermarket tuner), for example? There are LOTS of European aftermarket conversions. You might want to do a little research..........
Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Hmm - I dunno, ever heard of a RUF Porsche (aftermarket tuner), for example? There are LOTS of European aftermarket conversions. You might want to do a little research..........
Check this link out: RUF-Automobile
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

You can't buy a kit and convert your car in your own garage including the tire size like you can do here. I have taken two vettes to Europe and driven them there. I then sold them Germany. The new owner has 90 days to change it to Euro specs, he can't do it himself. A GM dealer can do it for cars that are available for sale there. You can't take a TATA there for instance. Approved shops, like RUF can bring your Vette to the approved specs only. RUF can't call their cars Porshe. You would have to set up an approved shop like Ruff to build a Corvette like mine. You won't be able to call it a a Chevrolet. It will cost a bundle.
I have designed and built a car that is fully certified in the US. You would need a lot more resources to do the same in Germany.
AMG can call their cars Mercedes, because Mercedes bought them. Prior to that, they where AMGs. You might want to do a little research.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You can't buy a kit and convert your car in your own garage including the tire size like you can do here. I have taken two vettes to Europe and driven them there. I then sold them Germany. The new owner has 90 days to change it to Euro specs, he can't do it himself. A GM dealer can do it for cars that are available for sale there. You can't take a TATA there for instance. Approved shops, like RUF can bring your Vette to the approved specs only. RUF can't call their cars Porshe. You would have to set up an approved shop like Ruff to build a Corvette like mine. You won't be able to call it a a Chevrolet. It will cost a bundle.
I have designed and built a car that is fully certified in the US. You would need a lot more resources to do the same in Germany.
AMG can call their cars Mercedes, because Mercedes bought them. Prior to that, they where AMGs. You might want to do a little research.
Semantics. Just because RUF can't call it a Porsche because of some government regulation doesn't mean it isn't in fact an aftermarket tuner Porsche. Is a Callaway not a Corvette?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Semantics.

Yeah sure, semantics! If a dope smoking kid like you orders some 30" Bling Bling spinner wheels for his VW bug from the US, fits them to his ride in his basement and attempts to drive around Stuttgart, the bundespolizei will arrest his smart *** in short order. Maybe if I put in these terms, you will understand. You see, if you were driving such a VW in Stuttgart Arkansas, they would arrest your smart *** for the dubie and not the wheels. Get it?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah sure, semantics! If a dope smoking kid like you orders some 30" Bling Bling spinner wheels for his VW bug from the US, fits them to his ride in his basement and attempts to drive around Stuttgart, the bundespolizei will arrest his smart *** in short order. Maybe if I put in these terms, you will understand. You see, if you were driving such a VW in Stuttgart Arkansas, they would arrest your smart *** for the dubie and not the wheels. Get it?
Hey, thanks for the best laugh I've had in a long time! I'm 62 and haven't done a dubie in about 35 years. Did you know that volatilized THC's are about 100 times as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke - (and I've never done that one)..? Good red wine - and sometimes "Jack" - have become my drugs of choice.

How am I supposed to get the V dub outa the basement?

Wow - a member since 2002 and all of 19 posts as of this writing. Glad to see your such an expert on things! You sure don't know how to read people!

Take a chill pill and enjoy the Holidays - if you can.........

Last edited by tuxnharley; 12-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

You can have a kit put on your car in your garage. The only thing is the KIT must have the TUV approved stamp, and be checked by the TUV for compliance after assembly completion. The 22 inch spinners from the US most likely don't have TUV stamped approval, therefore not allowed. If they person wants the spinners allowed, they must get them tested at the TUV first. If approved they will be annotated on the Fahrtzeugbrief. Then they are legal.

I speak from German POV, Other countries I cannot say, but do believe they are closely related.

Last edited by Thompyt; 12-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 and Z06-Go Separate Ways?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Thompyt
You can have a kit put on your car in your garage. The only thing is the KIT must have the TUV approved stamp, and be checked by the TUV for compliance after assembly completion. The 22 inch spinners from the US most likely don't have TUV stamped approval, therefore not allowed. If they person wants the spinners allowed, they must get them tested at the TUV first. If approved they will be annotated on the Fahrtzeugbrief. Then they are legal.

I speak from German POV, Other countries I cannot say, but do believe they are closely related.
Hmm - sounds like Shaka has been busted and owned on this issue. Maybe he should be given a new screen name - "Shaka Kahn't"
Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Hmm - sounds like Shaka has been busted and owned on this issue. Maybe he should be given a new screen name - "Shaka Kahn't"
Er, so which part are you having difficulty understanding, friend? Has Tux been sharing his dubie with you? I know you can't read too fast in your condition, so I'll type slowly.

My point is, that you can put a kit on your car and make it a street racer in America without approval from the authorities and you can't in Europe. You can't buy a Euro GT2 here, but you can convert your 911 to one in your back yard and no one will bother you except for some of the **** retentive members of this forum. Understand?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Er, so which part are you having difficulty understanding, friend? Has Tux been sharing his dubie with you? I know you can't read too fast in your condition, so I'll type slowly.

My point is, that you can put a kit on your car and make it a street racer in America without approval from the authorities and you can't in Europe. You can't buy a Euro GT2 here, but you can convert your 911 to one in your back yard and no one will bother you except for some of the **** retentive members of this forum. Understand?
You are correct in this fashion. But not completely. USAFE plated vehicles can do most anything they want that meets USAREUR safety standards. Polizei can't do too much about it.

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 and Z06-Go Separate Ways?