Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Will the c7 destroy the competition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWDAD
The C7 base car will at least equal the current grand sport, and if it is good looking (not one rendering yet) it is the best sports car in that price range and very close to the best there is.
The C7 is going have to performance levels within hand reach of the current z06. Fuel efficiency will be better, using direct injection, variable valve timing. If the C7 has performance level like the current grand sport, then it wouldn't be worth buying it.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
The C7 is going have to performance levels within hand reach of the current z06. Fuel efficiency will be better, using direct injection, variable valve timing. If the C7 has performance level like the current grand sport, then it wouldn't be worth buying it.
If this is true it would far surpass my expectations.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Makes me think of the Ed Zackery joke.

....the side air intakes shouldn't be twice the height as the grill intake. For that matter, does it really need side intakes.
Lot of Japanese stuff going on there. What ever the Chinese are drawn toward over the next decade will become the global norm. It may even be the designs of Giugiaro of Italdesign. Check out Hyundai cars. A pretty decent marriage between the east and west, I'd say. Way to early to say.

Last edited by Shaka; 12-19-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Images would not load
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Where do you think I'm arrogant noob? If you don't understand the performance envelope of world-class cars, you should learn those facts. And as I've stated before, delete variations of the same car, including your apparent loved GTR.

World-class does not mean the very best performance, but performance that is recognized and acknowledged by fair-minded people.

If you want a GTR, go buy one of the over-sized, overweight cars. . They are selling at a fast clip, maybe 3,000 a year.
they CERTAINLY DO NOT sell 3000 gtr's here statside!!!,...they're lucky if they sell 1000 of em,...they now are down to again selling 56 or so a month nationwide,...the car has been a phenomenal "dud"!, cause they have a very painful and obvious dillema with that car,...firstly,..it's a now 100,000k nissan!,...and unfortunatly for nissan,..at that price point people are a badge snobs,..secondly,...no test drive policy,..VERY, VERY, stupid! thirdly,...people perceive a lack of driver involvement,...too many computer nannies and such,..too automated,...just bothers old school sportscar guys,...4thly,...badly pitched "war" against porsche,..which they have thouroughly lost,...the 911 outsells this thing 6 to 1,..and at a higher price point usually!,...i truly expect to be hearing a "saab" story soon on this thing,..meaning nissan will tire of it's lackluster sales, and kill it off!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

When do guys think more "information" will come out, it seems like every month something comes out, last month were the renderings, when do you think we will hear any real news, I'm thinking spring nxt yr.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM
hwy1vette
Racer

Originally Posted by geezerman
they CERTAINLY DO NOT sell 3000 gtr's here statside!!!,...they're lucky if they sell 1000 of em,...they now are down to again selling 56 or so a month nationwide,...the car has been a phenomenal "dud"!, cause they have a very painful and obvious dillema with that car,...firstly,..it's a now 100,000k nissan!,...and unfortunatly for nissan,..at that price point people are a badge snobs,..secondly,...no test drive policy,..VERY, VERY, stupid! thirdly,...people perceive a lack of driver involvement,...too many computer nannies and such,..too automated,...just bothers old school sportscar guys,...4thly,...badly pitched "war" against porsche,..which they have thouroughly lost,...the 911 outsells this thing 6 to 1,..and at a higher price point usually!,...i truly expect to be hearing a "saab" story soon on this thing,..meaning nissan will tire of it's lackluster sales, and kill it off!
The correct number is for the US GT-R Sales Figures 5400 total sold.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....-sales-report/

Having that kind of exclusivity does not bother the GTR owners at all, on the contrary they enjoy that aspect. What is making me hold off on one myself is the maintenance cost, which can be considerable if you track a car like I enjoy doing.

As for the "nannies", if you frequent road courses and have seen, driven, or have even ridden in one they make a believer out of most right away. But again I am optimistic that the C7 will step up its game and will fit my needs but only time will tell.

A small SoCal track event at Willow Springs, take a look at the 3 minute video of the cars on the track:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...st-2012-a.html
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by hwy1vette
I see you are just talking about a straight line. I don't just drive in a straight line and want my sports cars to also perform well on a road course.

Below you will find the C6, at the bottom of this partial list, you should also note the GTR, R8, ZR1, Carrera, Z06, and many from your list, all above the C6 by a substantial margin.

<cut the list in the quote to save space>

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID...3&viewThread=y
The problem with comparing 'Ring times is that there is no real standardization or control. The times range from those done by magazines to manufacturer claims, often times with several years between them to boot. Different track conditions can easily account for differences in lap times, not to mention factory drivers super familiar with the car, etc. Then some times reported are "best" segment times added up, and not a real lap, and there is the issue of verifying that the cars are actually stock on stock rubber. I'm not disputing that a GT-R is faster around the ring than a base C6, just pointing out additional variables which can cloud by "how much", and also account for some of the other cars on the list running faster times.

Basically they are fun to compare, and the 'Ring provides a great proving ground due to the complexity of the track, but drawing much of a conclusion from the above times is not very scientific to say the least.

I will say though that GM has not done much with the base C6 on the 'Ring, compared to more recent development programs with the Z06 and the ZR1, at least not publically, so it makes sense that the base C6 probably does have less capability than those cars (including it's C6 bigger brothers) that have much more development time on that specific track. Has anyone even tested the C6 since the improvements in '08?

It is worth noting that the 2012 GT-R, while a very impressive vehicle, does have a starting MSRP of roughly 90 thousand, compared to ~50k MSRP for a base C6. I would hope it would be faster for nearly double the price! As another poster mentioned, the Z06 with Z07 package dominated (beating the GT-R by nearly 2 seconds a lap) the track times of a recent "best handling car" Motor Trend article. This was with the same drivers on the same track on the same day/conditions, so the results are much more comparable. It ultimately lost out on the title of "the best drivers car" out due to issues I think most agree with, such as seats that do not provide enough support for high performance driving, etc, but that doesn't detract from it's overall performance. If any thing the drivers probably would have been able to run faster times if they could concentrate only on driving and not holding themselves in place!

Last edited by CPhelps; 12-20-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geezerman
...firstly,..it's a now 100,000k nissan!,.....secondly,...no test drive policy,.. thirdly,...people perceive a lack of driver involvement,......4thly,...badly pitched "war" against porsche,..
You for got something.....---> fifthly,...it's not a very good looking car....
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM
hwy1vette
Racer

Originally Posted by CPhelps
The problem with comparing 'Ring times is that there is no real standardization or control. The times range from those done by magazines to manufacturer claims, often times with several years between them to boot. Different track conditions can easily account for differences in lap times, not to mention factory drivers super familiar with the car, etc. Then some times reported are "best" segment times added up, and not a real lap, and there is the issue of verifying that the cars are actually stock on stock rubber. I'm not disputing that a GT-R is faster around the ring than a base C6, just pointing out additional variables which can cloud by "how much", and also account for some of the other cars on the list running faster times.

Basically they are fun to compare, and the 'Ring provides a great proving ground due to the complexity of the track, but drawing much of a conclusion from the above times is not very scientific to say the least.

I will say though that GM has not done much with the base C6 on the 'Ring, compared to more recent development programs with the Z06 and the ZR1, at least not publically, so it makes sense that the base C6 probably does have less capability than those cars (including it's C6 bigger brothers) that have much more development time on that specific track. Has anyone even tested the C6 since the improvements in '08?

It is worth noting that the 2012 GT-R, while a very impressive vehicle, does have a starting MSRP of roughly 90 thousand, compared to ~50k MSRP for a base C6. I would hope it would be faster for nearly double the price! As another poster mentioned, the Z06 with Z07 package dominated (beating the GT-R by nearly 2 seconds a lap) the track times of a recent "best handling car" Motor Trend article. This was with the same drivers on the same track on the same day/conditions, so the results are much more comparable. It ultimately lost out on the title of "the best drivers car" out due to issues I think most agree with, such as seats that do not provide enough support for high performance driving, etc, but that doesn't detract from it's overall performance. If any thing the drivers probably would have been able to run faster times if they could concentrate only on driving and not holding themselves in place!

Yes I agree "Ring" times is primarily a fun comparison.

As for the Motor Trend article I have read it several times and to be honest many of the drivers credit the PS Cup tires for the lap times on the Z06, but with that said it is still an impressive car.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

It may, or it may not. There really is no way to tell this early in the game. We have not seen any spy photos (No, the Jalopnik attention-whoring photos don't count) and barely know any rock-solid information about the C7. I would say, like many vehicles, that the C7 certainly has serious potential to beat the competition. But only time will tell.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The correct number is for the US GT-R Sales Figures 5400 total sold.[/url]
Uh, that's in four years! Count it: four years! I was being generous with my post. The car just isn't selling, and for the reasons geezerman and CarBoy stated.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CPhelps
True, as I posted before. The last base C6 run at the 'ring with a published time was a 400HP 2005 model. After cleaning out duplicate cars, race cars, etc., that particular model has the 36th quickest time. Not too bad, but a newer model would probably move up to 26th or so as the difference is only eight seconds.

Who cares though. All the cars on the list in the top 100 or even 200 are fun rides.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes I agree "Ring" times is primarily a fun comparison.

As for the Motor Trend article I have read it several times and to be honest many of the drivers credit the PS Cup tires for the lap times on the Z06, but with that said it is still an impressive car.
While it is true the PS Cup tires are great, and may not be feasible to daily drive (wear quickly, etc.), the Z07 wasn't the only vehicle equipped with tires of that sort. For years 'Vettes did poorly in comparisons due to the tires being inferior to those other vehicles came with, so honestly I'm glad to see them getting the better end of it after getting the short end of the stick so long. They are available as stock equipment, and most people buying these cars with intentions to race will get better rubber anyways, so I don't see it as underhanded to use them for the comparison.

Reading that article, it did seem like the authors made a bigger deal over the Z running the PS Cup tires, when the GT3 RS is also listed as having PS Cup tires as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

I hope the c7 has a track layout on the navigation screen showing the gforce, map of the track, fastest lap times, etc.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I hope the c7 has a track layout on the navigation screen showing the gforce, map of the track, fastest lap times, etc.
What good would this be?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:55 PM
geezerman
Racer

Uh, that's in four years! Count it: four years! I was being generous with my post. The car just isn't selling, and for the reasons geezerman and CarBoy stated.
you tell it bro!,,,...FOUR YEARS!!!,...IT SELLS less THEN 1,000 CARS nationwide A YEAR!,...GET A CLUE!,...THE CAR IS A DUD!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

What good would this be?
So after running laps at a track you can see your results how you did, and where you can improve.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the c7 destroy the competition?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
geezerman
Racer

hwy1vette,...as someone aptly pointed out, your gtr sales numbers are for TOTAL GTR SALES HERE STATESIDE IN four YEARS,..NOT 5400 PER YEAR,...they sell less than 1000 a year nationwide,...maybe nissan is happy with that, don't know,..but that smells like "dud" to me! esp. if the more expensive 911 outsells it now by 6 to 1!,...and MANY MORE VETTES are sold than gtr's,...well-heeled buyers just ain't buyin' the gtr,..thems the facts dude!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

So after running laps at a track you can see your results how you did, and where you can improve.
You improve by attending driving schools, learning a course by driving it, learning how to take corners and set up for the next if it is a technical track, then running lap after lap after lap. You know you are getting better because your lap limes will be getting better.

No driver gives a rip about what g-gorce they pulled under any given set of circumstances. The feature you recommend really would be worthless to any serious driver.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Don't underestimate the legacy. It takes time and deep pockets for a new premium sports car player (like Nissan) to catch up with cars like Corvette (doing it 59 years) or the Porsche 911 (49 years).

BTW - I checked local inventory, GT-Rs are hard to find. That doesn't help much.

Cheers,
JB

Quick Reply: Will the c7 destroy the competition?