Sponsored by:

Comments about the future of Corvett

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comments about the future of Corvett

The March 2012 issue of Corvette Magazine carries three interesting comments that apply to the Corvette of the future.

Pg 8: When reporting Chevtolet's IndyCar Committment: "A turbocharged V6 engine is likely to end up in the Corvette sooner or later. . ."

Pg 71: when talking about the frame used in Corvettes over the years, a reference is made to the next generation Corvette: "we would not be suprised if a lighter aluminum strucrture was used on all models. . ."

Pg 82: In the Return of the Split Window article about the Corvette Grand-Am Daytona Prototype, Chevrolet Racing Director Mike Kent refers to the prototype as "a brand new Corvette." I wouldn't put too much into that except to realize that all sprots car manufacturers, Ferrari, Porsche, etc, refer to their racing cars under their brand name. In this case, please note the resemblence between the Prototype and the Corvette LMP1 shown at this site:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/pratt...lmp1-corvette/

On another subject, on Pg 81, Peter Brock lists some of the waivers from the rules that ALMS has given to other GT makes that race against Corvette. Hardly a level playing field!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
The March 2012 issue of Corvette Magazine carries three interesting comments that apply to the Corvette of the future.

Pg 8: When reporting Chevtolet's IndyCar Committment: "A turbocharged V6 engine is likely to end up in the Corvette sooner or later. . ."

Pg 71: when talking about the frame used in Corvettes over the years, a reference is made to the next generation Corvette: "we would not be suprised if a lighter aluminum strucrture was used on all models. . ."

Pg 82: In the Return of the Split Window article about the Corvette Grand-Am Daytona Prototype, Chevrolet Racing Director Mike Kent refers to the prototype as "a brand new Corvette." I wouldn't put too much into that except to realize that all sprots car manufacturers, Ferrari, Porsche, etc, refer to their racing cars under their brand name. In this case, please note the resemblence between the Prototype and the Corvette LMP1 shown at this site:

On another subject, on Pg 81, Peter Brock lists some of the waivers from the rules that ALMS has given to other GT makes that race against Corvette. Hardly a level playing field!
I believe that all the models will use aluminum to save weight, same body structure. I believe also,mthere will be a 7 speed manual and dct. Base hp around 485, and a turbo charged v6 probably not due to the loyal fan base, nothing sounds like a v8 pushrod, a turbo v6 sounds not as manly.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

Rather a 283 V8 (w/ 4 turbos as need be) than anything V6.
+1 on all models getting lightweight frame and more magnesium - which GM has used. Are CF co-members aware of Lamborghini carbon fiber technique? Used for components, it is a low cost procedure.
Prototype has vents over front wheels, reduces lift yes....I'd predict no split window because of driver safety.
Yes, I'd also predict 7 speed manual 8 speed auto.
I think w/ CAFE at al lightweight will be the focus over HP.
Just hope Corvette is still an afforadable.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I think we will see most V8s go to V6 superchargers or turbos in the next few yrs. Audi just did it with their new S5 and kept the same power and price and better mpg.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Tough to get context from your exert, but sounds like author speculation vs. someone from GM speculating? Either way I'm sure they are more informed than I am about C7 happenings, so always interesting to have another data point.

I have been hoping/expecting this would be the case, so glad to hear more things supporting this. I expect that if all Corvettes use an aluminum frame, they can have a more ideal solution than the C6 where both the steel and the aluminum have to fit physically. If they only have one material, they can optimize the physical characteristics for those material properties, instead of making compromises.

I think that the Prototype is supposed to be a current Corvette racecar, so I don't expect the C7 to look much like it. Especially since things that are good in a race car are not necessarily good on a street car, and vice versa. We may see some queues from it though.

Always interesting to read about.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll have to pickup a copy of the magazine!

Last edited by CPhelps; 12-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Corvette is a very special & unique car for GM. They have to be very careful to follow the heritage to maintain a very large loyal # of customers. Remember this forum represent a very small fraction of Corvette's followers. And by the same token they need to improve to attract new owners and keep the old ones. So, it's not like an Audi S6 or S4 that every year, they change engine. Even Camaro doesn't hold the position of Corvette.
I say, Corvette WILL stay with V8 but much more improved DI and higher compression and I doubt they do it FI as their base model, maybe their ZR1 again.
All I see, will be a Better Corvette all around.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
allaluminum427435
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not totally against a 6 cyl as an entry level model. Just think of the bmw 335 is engine. Its a 320 hp engine and is really smooth. A more luxury and comfort focused Vette for around 45 grand would be great. For around 50 grand we should get a v8 good for 450-480 hp. A step up should be a 427 z06 good for around 550-600 hp. The base models v8 should be twin turboed or supercharged for a 650-700 hp zr1. Itd be pretty sick to have a super rare vette with a blown 427 with 750-800 hp. Dont do the split window, its cool looking and its collectibility is admired, but for the next 100000+ c7 coupes its would be a huge pain cuz you cant see out the back at all. Three main production models is enough, get rid of the Grand Sport, and just have RPO options. Try to keep it traditions its worked for 59 years thats my two cents

Get notified of new replies

To Comments about the future of Corvett

Quick Reply: Comments about the future of Corvett