Sponsored by:

Lets play Price the New C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
A loaded Camaro SS will cost you $45K+. Is it wise for a C7 Base Corvette to be priced lower or around the same price as a Camaro? I would prefer to see it at least $10k above the best Camaro. At the same time, it must be worthy of the price.
A Camaro SS2 with the 45th anniversary package is $38k
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malekith
Price of the base car can easily be $40,000 - $45,000 , but of course we all know it'll be north of $50,000 , or an additional 25%.
Someone has to pay back the bailout money.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I think those saying 60 large are hitting the sweet spot. For all the things enthusiast want this car to be, it's going to be in that area easily. It has to outperform the base LS3, compete with current 911 (and it's one tall order), have an interior within a stone's throw of Ferrari level quality, and be drop dead gorgeous as well as evolutionary in design. We haven't even gotten to the continuing implementation of technological advancements for this car each generation: it's not free.

Not coming in for a landing under 60K for all the demands I have seen, and I'm just speaking for the reasonable demands. Even if it does publish in auto mags as "MSRP 55,000", good luck walking into a dealer in the fall of 2013/2014 and demanding that price at the bargaining table. After they wipe the tears from their eyes from laughing so hard, they'll walk you out to the used car lot to look at some nice seasoned C6s.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I think those saying 60 large are hitting the sweet spot. For all the things enthusiast want this car to be, it's going to be in that area easily. It has to outperform the base LS3, compete with current 911 (and it's one tall order), have an interior within a stone's throw of Ferrari level quality, and be drop dead gorgeous as well as evolutionary in design. ....
You say "all the things enthusiast want". What enthusiasts are you talking about? The top 100 or 200 CF members vociferously posting about this, that and the other needed feature? Or maybe you mean the Euro car loving mag writers?

Most Corvettes are owned by folks who enjoy the affordable sports car they drive. GM continues to offer improvements to the interior and a few more major moves can be made for little money. I think we all agree on that.

Who says the entry level C7 Corvette has to outperform the current base LS3? You? The current base coupe offers more performance than the bulk of the owners need or will ever use. You might study the sales success of the low powered Corvettes offered throughout the mid 70s into the early 80s. That tells a story!

And you sound as though you aren’t aware the base Corvette coupe competes with the current base 911 coupe. It outperforms it actually, but I don’t care about a tenth or two either way. And for the most part, I think the C6, and its predecessor C5, are nice looking cars.

As to an entry price of $60K, read my prior post and those of a few others who agree with me. GM is in business to sell cars, including Corvettes at all levels. A 20% price hike for entry to the game would be a huge business mistake, one a newly minted MBA wouldn’t make let alone seasoned automotive executives.

As has been said, we'll see in a year and change.

Last edited by jackhall99; 01-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
You say "all the things enthusiast want". What enthusiasts are you talking about? The top 100 or 200 CF members vociferously posting about this, that and the other needed feature? Or maybe you mean the Euro car loving mag writers?

Most Corvettes are owned by folks who enjoy the affordable sports car they drive. GM continues to offer improvements to the interior and a few more major moves can be made for little money. I think we all agree on that.

Who says the entry level C7 Corvette has to outperform the current base LS3? You? The current base coupe offers more performance than the bulk of the owners need or will ever use. You might study the sales success of the low powered Corvettes offered throughout the mid 70s into the early 80s. That tells a story!

And you sound as though you aren’t aware the base Corvette coupe competes with the current base 911 coupe. It outperforms it actually, but I don’t care about a tenth or two either way. And for the most part, I think the C6, and its predecessor C5, are nice looking cars.

As to an entry price of $60K, read my prior post and those of a few others who agree with me. GM is in business to sell cars, including Corvettes at all levels. A 20% price hike for entry to the game would be a huge business mistake, one a newly minted MBA wouldn’t make let alone seasoned automotive executives.

As has been said, we'll see in a year and change.

Actually, it wouldn't bother me if the new C7 was on equal footing with an LS3 C6. Cross Fire injection performance was a carry over from 1982 to 1984. Times have changed. If you think the target consumer base will be square with the same power levels, you may be surprised.

Huge business mistakes and GM go hand in hand, their history is peppered with them. Newly minted MBAs aside, MBAs were at the helm when GM ran out of gas.

How about this, keep this post in mind. When the new C7 is announced and it stickers msrp for less than 60K, 50 bucks for you and your significant other to eat out with from me.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Actually, it wouldn't bother me if the new C7 was on equal footing with an LS3 C6. ..... If you think the target consumer base will be square with the same power levels, you may be surprised.

Huge business mistakes and GM go hand in hand, their history is peppered with them. Newly minted MBAs aside, MBAs were at the helm when GM ran out of gas. And so many other companies we can't tally them all.

How about this, keep this post in mind. When the new C7 is announced and it stickers msrp for less than 60K, 50 bucks for you and your significant other to eat out with from me.
Hell, I might fly down and we can meet and eat and talk cars.

None of us know what the future holds for the C7: style, features, performance, price, etc. Time will tell.

I do believe a huge price increase for the entry model would do more damage to sales than holding the line on performance.

I also keep the government's request for better mileage results in the back of my mind. I also remember the HP race ending in the early 70s thanks to fuel concerns.

It is fun to yak about it all.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Simply put, What are your thoughts on the price point for a no optioned C7.MSRP ? FWIW My guess is 60K.
Every generation since the '84 has started with an identical price in real terms. I'd expect the same going forward, unless they radically change the formula to move the car upmarket.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the C7 price will be around $55K with the dealership MSRP up to $65K. I remember when the C6 debuted it pricing for around that amount here in Bay Area Cali. I do agree GM will try to price it as affordable as possible. But it is also about demand.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The renderings of the C7 published by Jalopnik, if accurate, are IMO highly disappointing.
I thought the C6 looked hideous for the first few years. It grew on me. I'm sure I'll feel the same way with the C7.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

My bet, the C7 selling price will be higher than the MSRP for 1 year after intro. And that means the Corvette is a hit.

Quick Reply: Lets play Price the New C7