Sponsored by:

Concerns on quality of C7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Concerns on quality of C7?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get a little worried about whats going to happen the first year this car comes out. First the Volt and now the Sonic. The Sonic may have some FREAKING MISSING BRAKE PADS????!!!!! Thats just scary. Did this bailout thing not teach them anything?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As with many GM cars of the past; quality is the "X" factor when you buy a new GM car. But I think they learned a lot when they got together with Toyota. You can only control the workers so far; and if one of them is either not obey instructions or is having a bad day; you will get a car that is not assembied quite like it should be.

But each year more of the assembly line is automated so in time; all cars should turn out to be like each other.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Quality concerns? I wouldn't get worried yet. But I do know that GM absolutely has to get the C7 right. They have no choice. The general build quality and interior quality have to be good.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the C7 is a significant redesign, I'd be extremely leary about buying the first year or two. If it's a C6.5, I wouldn't worry at all -- except if I buy the DSG tranny option that may or may not happen.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about quality.

What quality?

GM can't (or won't) even fix the steering wheel vibration on their $120K ZR1.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 PM
cutnout
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a retired Director of Quality Assurance I can tell that there wouldnt be any problems surrounding C7 production with tighter tolerances, robust tooling and subassembly process controls,( notwithstanding design flaws) that couldnt be minimized.Even the potential design flaws could be eliminated using time tested parts and with through testing and real non-recurring actions. They really do some nonrecurring controls on safety issues. I truly believe the General knows how to build and test good goods as they invented repeatability in this country. They really did starting with basic standards called Jo-Blocks. But they have always been driven by value engeering. Also a not so little problem has always been not listening to dealers and customers and eliminating what I call nits. Not counting the real problems like the auto convertible tops tearing and cracked door jams and hatchback latches its the nits that most of us complain about. Offered in good faith because I still will buy a C7. cutnout aka Charlie
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Maybe you should've stayed on the job a little longer so we won't have GM's flagship make your fingers numb after 30 minutes of driving.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM
cutnout
Instructor

Forgot to say that I didnt work for GM. Probably wouldnt listen to me anyway. cutnout aka Charlie
Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm reasonably certain that the Sonic assembly line moves faster and has less-experienced workers than the Corvette assembly line. Mistakes happen, but you can bet a lot fewer mistakes happen in Bowling Green.

I am not concerned in the slightest about quality(1), the result of the manufacturing and assembly process.

I am neither concerned about quality(2), the robustness of the engineering of the power, control, or safety systems.

I am a little concerned about quality(3), the choices of materials and features and design for the interior. But we'll see how they do in a year and change.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM
stic5
Pro

Originally Posted by Jinx
I'm reasonably certain that the Sonic assembly line moves faster and has less-experienced workers than the Corvette assembly line. Mistakes happen, but you can bet a lot fewer mistakes happen in Bowling Green.

I am not concerned in the slightest about quality(1), the result of the manufacturing and assembly process.

I am neither concerned about quality(2), the robustness of the engineering of the power, control, or safety systems.

I am a little concerned about quality(3), the choices of materials and features and design for the interior. But we'll see how they do in a year and change.
I agree totally. On a side note, the overall negativity on this board about GM sickens me. Go to the 911 boards or whatever else you would prefer to buy. Don't sit here and make things up to gripe about.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Some (most) gripes about quality are real concerns. Not necessarily fault of the BG assembly process. Most components come from the outside.

Case in point, the "dreaded vibration", is not a result of faulty assembly, it is the result of unbalanced, out of tolerance (for radial and lateral runout) CC rotor.

It seems Brembo dumps their Ferrari reject rotors at Bowling Green.

Note to GM employees seeing my post: please PM me with a voucher for a free well balanced set of rotors to change my views on your flagship vehicle.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! "GM" and "Good Quality" do not even belong in the same sentence
Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stic5
On a side note, the overall negativity on this board about GM sickens me. Go to the 911 boards or whatever else you would prefer to buy. Don't sit here and make things up to gripe about.
100%

GM isn't the ONLY car company that has had 'first model year' issues, they all (be it domestic or import nameplate) have them.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
Quality concerns? I wouldn't get worried yet. But I do know that GM absolutely has to get the C7 right. They have no choice. The general build quality and interior quality have to be good.
GM will not get it right. They got more important high volume
car/trucks to concentrate on. Yeah Corvette is support to be
the best chevy has, but in the end its a low volume status car
with a dwindling market. Time will make it a good car like the
others, the first two years will be problem child's.

The percentage of the market who even cares if a Corvette is
around, probably doesn't register on the overall scale.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Why don't we just wait and see, we don't even know what the car looks like yet and you are already complaining about the quality

EVERY year the quality of the Corvette has approved, yes it has. Maybe not as much as some think it should or maybe they are not using finer material, but the quality has improved. Having bugs to first year cars are common, just how serious are they, with Corvette the bugs have been rather MINOR compared to others. I think the worse was the lockouts on the C5, but a fix came quickly.

So, I say, wait and see. I would not buy first year anything, car, version 1 in software, or a new TV. I wait a couple of years just to make sure the bugs are out.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

If you buy a car in its first year of production you better be prepared for a little extra aggravation, maybe a recall or two.

I also expect we'll only get the C7 "Base" coupe and convertible during year one. Those who wait longer to buy will be rewarded with choices like the GS, Z06 & ZR1.

Anyone else think the C7 isn't coming until 2015? I had hoped for a 2013 intro but don't see that happened now.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Quality concerns? I wouldn't get worried yet.
Originally Posted by EBVette
Why don't we just wait and see, we don't even know what the car looks like yet and you are already complaining about the quality
What's with the 'uber negative/crybaby/"oh no the sky is falling" LONG before it even actually happens' mentality of some of these people?! LOL

Having bugs to first year cars are common
So, I say, wait and see. I would not buy first year anything, car, version 1 in software, or a new TV. I wait a couple of years just to make sure the bugs are out.
Originally Posted by jb_va2001
If you buy a car in its first year of production you better be prepared for a little extra aggravation, maybe a recall or two.
Exactly. And this applies to ALL new vehicles, not just GMs or Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Concerns on quality of C7?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by HarryWild
You can only control the workers so far; and if one of them is either not obey instructions or is having a bad day; you will get a car that is not assembied quite like it should be.
I don't think that this has ever been a problem at the Bowling Green plant. Every time I've visited there I found that the line workers were proud of what they do and they loved the car they were building.

Tom
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 AM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
I don't think that this has ever been a problem at the Bowling Green plant. Every time I've visited there I found that the line workers were proud of what they do and they loved the car they were building.

Tom
Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001

Anyone else think the C7 isn't coming until 2015? I had hoped for a 2013 intro but don't see that happened now.
GM is going to start production of 2013 Corvette in May and run until March. Then the plant will be closed for six months to do the change over to build the C7.

Quick Reply: Concerns on quality of C7?