Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Endeka
You seem a bit confused about the definition of "better." .... AWD and double-clutch paddle shifting is the final frontier for street-legal sports cars because it attacks the performance equation at its weakest link-you and me, the drivers. ....
You seem to be confused, along with many others, that AWD is the enabler for the weakest link, YOU, to drive with great aplomb. Endeka, you are DEAD wrong.

As Clint once said, a man has to know his limitations. Or said another way, a man has to know how to drive. You can, and will, get in as much trouble manhandling an AWD car as you will in a RWD car. They all can bite you square in the ***, nannies be damned.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVL JAKE
That's it and judging by the shape and style of the wheels in the last couple pics, it looks a hell of a lot like the jalopnik renderings.

Look at the front profile and head lights, dead on.

Back end looks like a Camaro
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostRder
Back end looks like a Camaro
I still don't see that...

Unless you mean it's got 4 tail lights and place for the license plate.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

Really, you do not see that it looks like it?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Not at all. The only similarity is that there's a line under the tail lights.

The lights are a different quadrilateral shape. The exhaust is centered. Vents on the sides. Reverse lights in a different position. Defuser is completely different. There's s lot more definition in the vettes fascia. The angle of the lights and position of the 3rd eye.

Honestly, how different does it have to be before you don't call it a camaro? Should they put a mini van back end on it?!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zland
Really, you do not see that it looks like it?
Clearly hes just being sarcastic.

I hope.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You seem a bit confused about the definition of "better." Things like cost and complexity affect buyers, not so much the performance of the car.
Point taken.
But if (the core) buyers are put off by items such as cost and/or complexity then they won't buy the car. If no one buys the car then the car dies. A RWD Corvette that sells beats an AWD one that doesn't sell/no longer exists, every single time.
I can almost assure you that GM/Chevrolet feels the exact same way too.
In this particular case, cheaper might actually also mean "better".

The problem the C7 is going to have facing the PDK Turbo S is that its aging RWD design is being built to a price figure, and the PDK Turbo S is being built to a performance figure-the best it can be, no compromises.
Ok, but the base Corvette doesn't compete with the Porsche Turbo S or even the base Porsche Turbo, it technically doesn't even compete with the 911 Carrera S or base 911 Carrera. Based on price point, the base Corvette likely competes with the plain old Boxster S and Cayman S, and it certainly DOES NOT need AWD to annihilate those two in almost any performance category and that's with the current base car, the C7 will probably widen that gap even further.
Now when it comes to the Z06 or more so the ZR1 then yes, you might have a solid point. As even the much more costly Turbo S isn't completely safe from the ZR1's wrath in many performance categories.
As for the average driver being able to accelerate quickly/going fast more easily, yes AWD does excel in that arena. But modern technology is an amazing thing and launch/traction control systems are getting better and better as I type this.
Plenty of ultra high performance cars are still RWD only.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

While I can see some resemblance I certainly wouldn't call the two rear fascias identical either LOL.

And I believe that Camaro pic above is just a rendering and not an actual car...here are some better 'real' pics:

Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Once again... Just not seeing it. You really feel that both these fascias look alike?
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

its cause they are both squared off. the most primitive minds associate basic shapes first.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

No people, there is a resemblance and I think it is what GM wants ... Maybe they want to start with some kind of line of resemblance in there sports cars ...
I personally don't think the back end of the car looks THAT bad. Just a shame that overall the new Corvette will look like it was made in Asia, while I really don't have that feeling with the latest Camaro (that looks like an updated true American muscle car) ...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rear end looks like cr@p.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ST Graveyard
No people, there is a resemblance and I think it is what GM wants ... Maybe they want to start with some kind of line of resemblance in there sports cars ...
You may be right. The new Camaro is a good looking car and a HUGE sales success for GM/Chevrolet. Other than the actual tail lights themselves (and even then I don't hate them as some others do) I like the back end of it.

Afterall, almost EVERY other car maker does this and it works out just fine.
I don't see anyone crying over the blatant hints or resemblances between models from the likes of Porsche, BMW, Mercedes etc.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ST Graveyard
Just a shame that overall the new Corvette will look like it was made in Asia
Unfortunately, that's the way things are headed these days. American consumers (especially the younger market) really seem to crave/desire that sort of styling as so many spend their hard earned American dollars on Hondas, Toyotas and even Hyundais. There are people out there that actually love the looks/styling of the Nissan GTR and I suppose the Corvette designers are considering all of that for the future.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't look at us. We wanted the Stingray concept.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when Camaro fans were upset about the Camaro concept's tail lights looking too much like a Corvette's.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Alot of you are chirping how AWD doesnt belong in a vette? On what grounds do any of you figure that? Where does it say in any written rule of sports/performance or muscle car that they should never use AWD?

It doesnt make a difference to me if the C7 has it or not. I plan on keeping my C6 until the C8 comes out (possibly). But to see the vette use it will be interesting. As I said before I can drive a RWD car with no worries, but it would be nice to have AWD especially for those who want ultra high HP (circa 800+). Imagine an AWD C7 with 1000+hp???? Bye Bye Veyron!

Get notified of new replies

To Could this be it..

Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Here are some numbers to consider:

C5 Corvette, 47.7" height, 73.6" width

C6 Corvette, 49.0" height, 72.6" width

Lamborghini Gallardo, 45.9" height, 74.8" width

Now the Audi R8 does not have a low roof but it does have exotic width. In fact it seems to have a bubbled roof rather than a high ground clearance.

Audi R8, 49.2" height, 75" width

Last edited by B Stead; 02-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I understand GM is looking for the younger crowd but do you have to compete with the rice burners! The rendering does look like something from Asia. I'll wait for the C7 to come out to knock down the price of the C6.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
so many spend their hard earned American dollars on Hondas, Toyotas and even Hyundais.
Its not because of the look, its because they are cheap and long lasting. (with the exception of a few).

Its only been in the last decade that American made, middle class, cars have really stepped up their quality in production. For example, the cliche that Ford cars are "throw-aways" is completely wrong now. Their quality is near the top, but the parents of the younger generation that you are speaking about are still thinking the car's quality is still still same when they were growing up; influencing the generation in a negative way. Its a paradigm shift.

Don't look at us. We wanted the Stingray concept.

Originally Posted by Process Black
I remember when Camaro fans were upset about the Camaro concept's tail lights looking too much like a Corvette's.
I remember this too. It was hilarious to hear people complain about how the car wasn't original anymore. haha.

Quick Reply: Could this be it..